Gransnet forums

Chat

Update to going solo to a wedding

(29 Posts)
Shizam Thu 01-Jun-17 21:59:27

Thanks to all for so much great advice on my eek to first big social post marriage going up. Wanted to find original post for inspiration before I went. But couldn't. So just remembered bits that I could. Got nails and hair done. Did the long trip there and survived two memorable days at the hugest wedding have ever been to, was madness. Jewish wedding. Couple thrown up in chairs in scariest way. Daughter of oldest friend's wedding, She looked after me so well.
But still came away feeling sad that I went alone and couldn't share all sorts with someone else. Felt like Billy no mates a lot of the time. And low next day. Glad I went, my friend appreciated my effort. But golly, it's hard.

janeainsworth Fri 02-Jun-17 18:26:43

grin

Shizam Fri 02-Jun-17 22:11:52

Harrysgran. Chaperones. Yes! Great idea, wish I'd had one, might have been fun! Set up that agency!

Rowantree Mon 05-Jun-17 10:41:02

You did well to go, Shizam. You were anxious about it but you went anyway. That shows real courage, I'd say. And now you know you can do it - though it wasn't the best time you ever had, you coped well. Big yourself up for that!

I'm not keen on weddings myself.People can be very cliquey and as it's often an opportunity to reconnect with Long Lost/Forgotten relations, if you don't know many people you can end up feeling like the proverbial spare p***k (or otherwise). I know - been there myself, at Jewish weddings where DH knew distant family and I knew no one and felt like an impostor (I'm 'only' half-Jewish and it's the WRONG HALF!

But I digress: your friend will have appreciated your presence, you did what you needed to do and now you can pat yourself on the back and breathe again. flowers