Gransnet forums

Chat

No friends

(262 Posts)
bettyboo22 Sun 11-Jun-17 21:51:32

Hi anybody else get to there 50s and feel lonely without any close friends either because the ones you have had have died or because it just does not happen I can join clubs or start jobs but still female friends don't happen I'm quite a nice person I think because I've lost mum and dad years ago I had no brothers or sisters and no children
What I'm looking for is a sister a friend a mate someone to chat and laugh with anybody else feel the same

BlueSapphire Fri 04-Jan-19 08:11:04

After DH died I made myself go out and do things, because like many people I have many acquaintances, but not a real close friend. I chat to people and join in and think that perhaps one day a real friendship will happen, and until it does I just keep busy.

BlueSapphire Fri 04-Jan-19 08:12:47

Whoops, sorry, posted on wrong thread, how did that happen?

BlueSapphire Fri 04-Jan-19 08:15:23

What is wrong with me today? It is the right thread! Sorry folks. Why isn't there a delete button?

BlueBelle Fri 04-Jan-19 08:18:28

There is no edit button because hq won’t trust us with one although we ve asked so many times
It looks as if you are on the exact right thread Blue

BradfordLass72 Fri 04-Jan-19 08:31:21

Volunteering is a very good idea bettyboo and joining groups which follow things you are truly interested in but are they going to make you the close, confiding friends you need?

I've never felt like you although I can perfectly understand it.

I have heaps of acquaintances but no real friends either but I am, by nature what you might call a sociable loner - I get on well with people but I don't get close, not close enough to confide my deepest fear anyway smile

I have a busy life because I joined a group made up of people from a different culture to my own, even speaking a different language, and it's truly fascinating to learn about and appreciate the differences.

Outside our social meetings we have cultural duties such as funerals and attending official meetings.
But then, at the end of the day, I do what I have done all my life - I come home, close the door and breathe a sigh of relief that I'm alone.
I hope you find real, genuine friends in 2019.

nanny104 Mon 28-Jan-19 00:05:07

hi
Its the 1st time I have placed a comment on gransnet are there any ladies out there living in Southport or near who would like to meet up for a coffee.

eileen67 Sat 16-Mar-19 23:57:17

hi i live in Streatham , alone i see no-one , if anyone wants to meet for a wee tea, chat , just me n the tv , i am 68 , Scottish , would love to make some friends

Mousepotato Fri 22-Mar-19 08:41:55

Hello - I just found this site and am overwhelmed to find that I am not the only one who hasn’t many or any close friends available, and finds it difficult to make any. I thought it was just me. I live in the states, recently having moved from Seattle WA to a very small city in Idaho near the Canadian border after my husband retired. I had a few friends in my old city but after 3 years here I haven’t made one. I’m very friendly and can talk to anyone but no one seems interested in more. I’m 68, a retired accountant, and very outgoing. My recently retired husband says he isn’t interested in having friends or joining any clubs or groups and won’t even go to church with me. He is a nice person but has always been somewhat of a loner and doesn’t even want to go out and do anything even with me. I volunteer at a Hospice which I love but of course my patients all die, and though very nice most workers there are in their 40’s. I joined a garden club but it’s very clicky it seems as they all know each other. The neighborhood I live in is lovely but no one ever comes outside. I walk my dog and never see anyone. Plus it seems that in this town the women, young or old, are either divorced with children or widowed. I can’t invite anyone over because my house is fairly small - 3 bedroom 2bath - and my husband is always there! I have no place to entertain without him there listening in. I apologize for such a long first post. I am hoping someone has a thought or two for me. I’m very lonely for some female companionship and wish I could invite all of you over for tea or coffee and a chat. Thank you for being here and letting me join.

Mousepotato Fri 22-Mar-19 08:46:55

PS I am not looking for a bosom buddy to tell all to, I have friends I’ve known since high school and before to do that with. But friends to go to the movies or out to lunch with etc would be wonderful!

Gilly33 Fri 22-Mar-19 18:08:04

Joining today and hoping to get to know people in Surrey. Chertsey/Weybridge/Staines in particular. Not so easy to make new friends as we get older but we must try ?

bikergran Fri 22-Mar-19 18:48:41

I went to work in a charity shop about 4 years ago (it wa spart of the Jcenters idea) they "encouraged" you (then they coudl turn round and say you hadn't "tried hard enough to expand your skills" hmm

Anyway I met with other staff in the shop and then the regular customers.
I became friends with one of the staff and we have enjoyed a couple of days out here n there.

Went to Whitby on a day coach trip had fish n chips in a the Harbour restaurant a lovely day it was too.

Also day out at Skipton with fish n chips (we like fish n chip) lol.

Although the charity shop is about to close and I have also got a paying job,we are still going to meet up.

Volunteering is pretty good as you can usually choose days/hours etc.