Gransnet forums

Chat

Counting my blessings

(57 Posts)
2old4hotpants Thu 22-Jun-17 09:12:21

Since before my first grandson was born I have longed for a granddaughter. When I had four grandsons, the fifth was announced also as a boy. Both DDs have announced there will be no more babies. I must admit, much as I love the boys dearly, I did feel a great sadness that the yearned for granddaughter would remain just a dream. Now, however, I realise what a fool I have been. The last boy has arrived with complicated health issues. At nine weeks he has had heart surgery, and also has a separate condition which makes his future uncertain. Now all I feel is a great yearning for that little boy to make it, and to grow up strong and healthy. Never again will I regret what I do not have, but will count my many blessings.

Starlady Sun 25-Jun-17 12:30:35

Every child is so different. Does it matter if we have boys or girls, gss or gds? It's nice to have "one of each" but not a necessity, imo, and doesn't make much difference in the long run.

2old4hotpants - Praying for your new dgs.

Ellie Anne Sun 25-Jun-17 15:33:05

I have two beautiful granddaughters and was not bothered what sex they were. I do hope for more grandchildren from my other son and would be delighted with either. When my youngest son was born I was disappointed because I had hoped for a girl but he has been such a blessing.

1inamillion Mon 26-Jun-17 22:11:33

I have a son and a daughter, my son is the elder by four years. I am talking of 30 years ago here. My neighbour has two sons who played with and were friends of my son. When my daughter was born my neighbour virtually severed contact with us, not inviting us to socials at their house when all the other neighbours were invited etc. This upset me but my husband told me it was her loss. I asked another friend and neighbour if she knew why we were persona non grata and she said that it was because I had a baby girl. She said that when the neighbour's second son was born she was very upset. Senseless.

Nanny27 Tue 27-Jun-17 18:59:42

DD was expecting twins, her first pregnancy. They came early, very early and we were plunged into many weeks of worry as they stopped breathing on many occasions and had to be rushed back to hospital. Eventually all seemed to be well and I proudly pushed my identical twin granddaughters to the shops while their mum caught up on some sleep. Imagine my horror when a lady in the queue for the checkout admired them and then proceeded to commiserate with me. " lovely babies but what a shame they are both girls, maybe she'll have a boy next time".

annodomini Tue 27-Jun-17 19:23:16

2old4hotpants, I really feel for you and your family. I never expected to have anything but a second son - all through my pregnancy I somehow 'knew' he was a boy and I was happy with that. But he had a bowel problem at birth and spent nine days in SCBU. He was a difficult baby (in contrast with DS1) because of his tummy discomfort and had a big op when he was 2. Now 43, he is big and strong, and a dad of 2 boys himself, but I'll never forget that early period of anguish. ((((hugs)))) for you.

jimmyRFU Mon 03-Jul-17 14:21:44

I may never be grandma.

My oldest son's wife told me having a baby the most revolting thing imagineable. She will not have an alien creature using her body and then taking up years of their life. Her words. She told me we should look elsewhere for a grandchild.

My younger son's partner apparently will have children but not until she is at least 35. She is 21. I said I could be dead by then. They said thats tough then.

Please be grateful for what you have and spare a thought for us who are denyed the pleasure of grandchildren.