Gransnet forums

Chat

What have you done today?

(250 Posts)
vampirequeen Fri 28-Jul-17 08:50:18

We went to Ikea. Never going to go during the school holidays again. Why do yummy mummies think it's OK for their little poppets to run around and climb on things? It's a shop not a playground. Fortunately we knew exactly what we wanted so didn't have to stay too long whilst Felix, Imelda et al ran amok. Later we went to B and Q. Not a yummy mummy hang out so it was much better.

annsixty Thu 31-Aug-17 17:03:10

Had very enjoyable meeting with another GNer.
So nice to put a face to a name and we got on very well .It was great fun.

Maggiemaybe Thu 31-Aug-17 18:30:32

Found I wasn 't needed after all to look after DGS3 today, so did some admin, paid some bills, sorted out a couple of days away for DH and me for our forthcoming anniversary. Very pleased with the deal I got, even if it did take three hours of research! DH wasn't feeling 100% this morning, and is still in bed, and still asleep. How does he do that?! I've looked in occasionally to check he hasn't pegged it, but I can guarantee he'll appear all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed just as I'm thinking of going to bed.

Nanabilly Thu 31-Aug-17 21:10:53

This morning I had a bit of a lie in then got up and showered before going out in the front garden to tidy up a few shabby looking shrubs so it looks presentable for a funeral next door tomorrow . Neighbours son was killed in a car collision and he always complimented my garden so I tidied it up for him .Then hubby came in from work with face like thunder as he had just scraped side of car on the garden wall as lots of cars parked willy nilly in road due to lots of visitors at neighbours house to pay respects . I told him " look, you are ok , I'm ok so don't worry" he soon calmed down and got on phone to insurance to sort out repair.
Now I'm in bed relaxing but not sleeping due to having a lie in this morning.

Alima Thu 31-Aug-17 21:16:10

We went to the Bournemouth Air Show. Saw a Spitfire which was a wonderful surprise as we had thought it was grounded along with the rest of the Battle of Britain Flight. Always get goosebumps when I hear those engines. The Red Arrows were beyond amazing. A brilliant day.

Auntieflo Thu 31-Aug-17 23:03:23

Took a whole bunch of records to Oxfam, had coffee and chat with friends, filled up the car with diesel, had lunch and made a couple of linings for my new sofa seat cushions. Thought about packing a bag for tomorrow, when we are off for a couple of days. It's our anniversary on Sat, and we staying near Bournemouth. DD told us the air show was on, I had thought it was last weekend. Oh dear, never mind.

BBbevan Sat 02-Sep-17 16:07:19

Lovely morning, so we got up early and walked along by the sea to a car boot sale. Then back home. Had a coffee then did loads of gardening. Made a frittata for lunch then back out into the garden. Came in about 3.30 for a cuppa. Now watching University Challenge and catching up on here.

Greyduster Sat 02-Sep-17 16:17:50

Had a decent lie in after two very early starts this week. Cleaned all the inside windows while DH did the outsides. Went to get some flour to make a cake. Duly made cake and it does not appear to be cooked despite having been given an extra twenty minutes cooking time. I think there are too many liquid things in it. It rose beautifully and then collapsed! Story of my life..... hmm.

annsixty Sat 02-Sep-17 16:45:05

Well at least you do bake Greyduster I have given up.
A couple of years ago I had a lemon drizzle cake in the oven and heard a very loud clattering noise. Everything was still after that so after a few minutes I wandered to the front of the house to ring the window cleaner had slid down the sloping tiled roof of a small extension we have.
He had bounced off the car lay on the ground in great pain.
I called an ambulance and a neighbour and I wrapped him in blankets and made him comfortable, I had been told not to give him a drink.
The ambulance duly arrived and assessed him and eventually took him off.
The lemon drizzle ,which obviously would have been the best I had ever made was ruined.
The window cleaner had a bad ankle injury and was off work for 3 months. He has never cleaned my bedroom windows since. They are filthy. ?

Maggiemaybe Sat 02-Sep-17 16:48:13

I've been to town twice, walking in the first time. Picked up a bargain perfume set on the initial visit, went home to open it and check it out then headed straight back in to buy more for (whisper it) C*******s presents. I nabbed the last four, so I'm happy. Then walked up with DH to our local carpet store to get some new bathroom flooring. I think fitting it might be a job for tomorrow - we've got lots of recorded TV to catch up on this evening with a glass or two of wine, once DH has shut up shop in the allotment.

Maggiemaybe Sat 02-Sep-17 16:49:28

Your window cleaner needs to get himself one of those extending poles, ann!

lizzypopbottle Sat 02-Sep-17 21:36:19

I pulled some weeds and cut the grass then I braved the spiders (huge) in my garage to get more clutter into the skip before it goes away next week. I'll probably be brave again tomorrow!

nightowl Sat 02-Sep-17 21:51:02

Been to an old school reunion, at my old school. Haven't set foot in there for 47 years. Very strange experience.

Maggiemaybe Sun 03-Sep-17 17:55:05

I've ripped up the old bathroom flooring, cut out the new stuff with a dangerously sharp Stanley knife, and fitted it. Taken up the old front room carpet with much hauling around of heavy furniture, rolled it up and dragged it out into the backyard for disposal later. DH is asthmatic, so gets out of all dusty jobs! Walked to the shops - and back in the rain - to buy floor varnish to use tomorrow before our new carpet arrives. Looked online for a new desk to replace my collapsing one. I think I must be pregnant - I seem to have the nesting instinct at the moment. grin Made soup for tomorrow. Sat down to read the Observer magazine for ten minutes and read an article saying that we British oldies sitting round all day watching TV with our feet up should keep active like the Japanese. Words fail me (well, they didn't, but my response wasn't fit to print!).

grannysue05 Sun 03-Sep-17 18:05:14

Printed off loads of photographs from my camera from yesterday's friends 80th Birthday celebration.
Trying to assemble a lovely keepsake album for her.
Cooking Sunday roast pork and roast potatoes now for DS2 and GC's coming for tea.

lovingit Sun 03-Sep-17 18:08:12

long dog walk this morning outside painting planned for afternoon but happily it rained!
2 hours of watching horse trials on telly....bliss

NfkDumpling Sun 03-Sep-17 18:50:06

The weather stayed fine enough and the wind was just right for us to take our friends out on our boat. Lovely lunch after before going down the river for a while. Perfect. Still not raining here, but very heavily overcast now.

BBbevan Sun 03-Sep-17 21:23:25

Went to get the newspapers early. Pouring with rain until late afternoon. Did all the ironing in the morning. After lunch we lit the fire and watched the television. Then tracked DS,'s flight back from the family holiday on the iPad.

ginny Sun 03-Sep-17 22:20:33

After breakfast I packed a picnic and went with Dd 2 and DGs2 to a local country park. Walked DD3s dogs. Watched first episode of Victoria. On catch up. Prepared dinner whilst DH collected Dd3 and SIL from the airport. After dinner collected DGS1 from his Dad.

chocolatepudding Mon 04-Sep-17 19:24:15

I run a produce stall by my front gate to raise funds for the local Hospice. I have lots of friends and local residents who donate vegetables, fruit and flowers. I bag up the produce and bunch up the flowers and put a price on everything.

Today the target for this year was reached £1000 for the Hospice!!!

mimiro Mon 04-Sep-17 19:48:14

chocolate pudding rock on
last 3 days got up fed animals,put out pup.took care of ndn pups/painted 1/3 of house each day,
maggiemaybe love your name/sounds like my world.was asked why i was doing the house,ummm because it needs it.and i cant afford to pay anyone to do it,
still need to finish trim but to humid to paint right now and another hurricane coming/got to prep for that just in case.

Alima Mon 04-Sep-17 19:49:04

Brilliant chocolatepudding, what a momentous day. Mine was more routine, window cleaning and mowing the lawn.

NfkDumpling Mon 04-Sep-17 20:27:31

I'm ashamed to say that after finishing off a batch of blackberry jelly, I really did nothing at all. Apart from read my book and chat on the phone. How I love retirement!

Gemmag Mon 04-Sep-17 20:38:48

Went to the tip with about 30 old paint tins. One or two from when we moved here 27 years ago. No yummy mummies to be seen.

Maggiemaybe Mon 04-Sep-17 21:57:07

Thank you, mimiro. smile My exciting life continues. Today I varnished the front room floor - with more hauling round of heavy furniture, but this time DH was involved as well. And wallpapered a bookcase - yes, that is a thing! Then off to look after DGS1 and 3, and to have fun fending off their new kitten, Edward Scissorhands (not really, but it would be very appropriate), persuading DGS3 to nap after he had a meltdown about badgers (as you do) and playing a quiz game with DGS1, aged 4. "Question one. I am yellow with a skin that might be slippery. What am I?" Answer - "Nanna Maggie". grin