Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling discombobulated!

(52 Posts)
kittylester Thu 10-Aug-17 17:37:18

This morning, I had to take DS1 for his Botox jabs (yet again there was non spare for his poor old mum!!) after which I went to do my normal Thursday Sainsbury's shop.

As usual, on my way into the store, I went to the ATMs to get out some cash. One of the ATMs was not working so I went to the other one, went through the usual procedure (number, amount etc) and waited while the machine churned, the machine stopped churning and nothing happened. Then it started churning again, then it stopped. This happened about half a dozen times so I tried to cancel. Then another woman came to get money, she pushed buttons and stood looking at it with me until I decided that I'd go into the shop and report it.

The girl at Customer Services suggested I ring the bank and cancel my card and assured me that, as my card had gone in, and stayed there, there was no chance of it reappearing and the machine would be designated 'out of order'.

Then, a lady came in and handed my card and cash to the girl on Customer Services!! shock

I was very grateful to her but both women then treated me as though I was stupid not to have stood there for longer.

Kim19 Sat 12-Aug-17 09:12:42

Good luck with Santander Tegan2. That and Barclays are the two worst banks I've ever used. Soon disassociated with both. Hope you have a much better experience.

annsixty Sat 12-Aug-17 09:15:27

Like nellie within the last month I have started using contactless.
I have used it in coffee shops and was pleased of it when I went to London with my GD. I used my bus pass and she used my card.

BoboGran Sat 12-Aug-17 09:16:05

So glad you got your money kitty Lester.......I have used ATMS without any trouble for years....but recently....as I get older (and I did have a brain haemorhage) I have found myself in that horrid place of standing there and unable to find my PIN in my memory.....or know what to do next...that happens in different ways more and more mow...but I find it particularly worrying when it is around money.....I remember when we gave my mother a Tape Recorder to replace her old Gramophone....and she kept pulling the tape out of the cassette and saying What is this old stuff...and stuck to her records. And how we couldn't understand at all why she couldn't just read the instructions. That is me now....it makes absolute sense! The modern world is geared less and less to older people........(maybe this is a new thread!)

SillyNanny321 Sat 12-Aug-17 09:35:15

I cant use ATM's as my eyes dont work too well thanks to AMD. I go into our Wilcos on the days I Volunteer at a charity shop & get cashback. Anything more complicated I either go in my local bank or wait till my DS visits & get him to sort out whatever is needed. If our bank or Wilcos close I dont know what i would do.

Smithy Sat 12-Aug-17 09:39:03

On a slightly different note (get it?) I went to put a (very) large cheque in inside the Bank. I had used the machine many times before but this time it just would not read the amount correctly although the photo showed the written amount clearly so I was getting agitated and trying to get it back to try again.
A younger woman waiting behind me to use it said impatiently to a hovering bank employee ''I don't think she can read the machine'' as if I wasn't there. I was so annoyed, felt like a silly old lady who can't understand modern machines, I'm pretty computer literate anyway! The only way she didn't get a mouthful from me was that I was too concerned with getting the cheque out of the machine to take it to the counter. I was fuming!

foxie Sat 12-Aug-17 10:11:14

I always carry very little cash and pay for most things with a credit or debit card. A lot of people still like using cash but we are rapidly getting to the time when cash will no longer be acceptible.

MinniesMum Sat 12-Aug-17 10:13:55

Many smaller Post Offices also now have a facility for drawing cash. Ours acquired this a few months ago and it is an absolute boon. Trot down for the paper and draw cash at the same time! I used to go to the big Post Office in town but haven't used a cash machine for years after there was a spate of tampered machines in our town..

Tegan2 Sat 12-Aug-17 11:59:21

On a completely different note, I was watching a very old episode of Gogglebox last night and Mr Sidiqui senior [my favourite family] said he knew someone that would write a cheque out to himself for a lot of money [eg £60,000]and look at the cheque each day willing it to become reality.

glammanana Sat 12-Aug-17 11:59:29

We have a small Post Office at the bottom of our Road and it is a Godsend to most of the pensioners in the area as it saves them having to travel to the nearest shopping centre to use the Banks,you can pay any household bills there so during the winter months people don't have to be out in the cold,on Mon/Tues the Postmaster will stay near the cash point just in case anyone has any problems and to help them

pollyperkins Sat 12-Aug-17 12:19:47

A few weeks ago DH went to ATM outside Waitrose, to get out £100. We then went to a local cafe and when he came to pay the bill, realised he didn't have the £100! [shock}
So we ran back to the machine - no sign of money of course, and went into Waitrose help desk. What time did you get it out she asked . About 3 pm he said. Well, we've had £100 handed in but the note says found at 1300. Oh well, it can't be mine he said and we left gloomily to go to the bank. She ran after us and said she was sure the person who wrote 1300 meant 3.00 pm, so he took it but left his name and address in case someone else came to pick it up!
There are honest people about, thankfully!

pollyperkins Sat 12-Aug-17 12:20:11

Did emoticon wrong!

JanaNana Sat 12-Aug-17 13:16:51

Have started to use the ATMs inside of banks now since we are are always being warned about fraud and how criminals can interfere with them. Some take longer than others I find to dispense the money .....the other day I withdrew just a very small amount and it almost spat it out at me as if to say ",is that all".Other times when drawing larger amounts it seems like it's having to print it while you wait.! Twice in our local supermarket in the last few months have been to the self service checkout and found that previous customers had not removed their cards and we have handed them in at customer services. Seeing this has made us more safety conscious and now use cash to pay at supermarkets and smaller shops.

AmMaz Sat 12-Aug-17 13:22:59

A beautiful example of ageism. The one and only 'ism' which would make me grateful for political correctness is the one that is alive and kicking and thrives unchallenged.

Funny that cos I bet there's lots of virtue-signalling gransnetters ready to pounce on the meerest whiff of an ism any other time. And sometimes even when there isnt any, if there's a virtue signal to be had, regardless of the truth.

CardiffJaguar Sat 12-Aug-17 14:11:03

Always contact the bank. Wherever the ATM is it has no connection to any store it is outside, and nobody in the store is able to help.

If the ATM fails to return your card it usually provides a suitable message onscreen. Every ATM is connected to the internet and the bank that has issued the card you use. It is not unusual for a delay due to internet slowdowns so be patient and wait.

If your card is retained by the ATM then the only way to get it (probably a replacement) back is through the bank.

Diddy1 Sat 12-Aug-17 17:05:13

Here in our Country,Sweden, there arent any Banks who have cash, it sounds ridiculous, but is a fact, so ATMs have to be used or some shops now have cashback facilities.I dont really like using ATMs but dont have a choice. I feel sorry for really old people who need to get a card and they then have difficulty putting their code into the machine, eye sight not being as good as it was, and they call this progress!

Grandmama Sat 12-Aug-17 20:26:59

I only ever use ATMs inside the bank. And I never get cash back. DH regularly used to get £20 cash back from the local supermarket and then never spent it so one day he asked me to pay some of it back into the bank. I did it through the ATM but the money was rejected - one of the £20 notes was a fake. We knew the note must have come from the supermarket so £20 down the drain. Be warned!

NotAGran55 Sun 13-Aug-17 07:48:21

Good post Cardiff . Retail outlet staff must get very fed up with enquiries that are bank related .

I have used ATMs personally since the day they started and for depositing thousands of business cheques with very few problems . The occasional cheque won't go through but it still beats the hours of needless queuing inside a bank just to withdraw cash or complete simple transactions .

frankie74 Sun 13-Aug-17 13:11:18

Not actually had a problem with an ATM, but recently after successfully withdrawing £200 which was delivered in 10 x £20 notes, I began to count them, discreetly. A gust of wind came and blew one out of my hand and across the car park, under the cars. I carefully pursed the remaining 180, and began to crawl around the parked cars, with no luck, though I had a feeling that it was under a particular car. The 10 year old occupant, waiting for his mum presumably, looked at me as though I was mad, so I explained what I was doing. He immediately jumped out and crawled under the car and ...bingo, it was wedged behind a wheel. I resisted the urge to hug him (not PC, sadly) and instead gave him a fiver for his efforts. He was really chuffed. Then I waited for his mum to come with her shopping, to explain why her son suddenly had a fiver. All's well that ends well. but I did feel a bit stupid

GrandmaMoira Sun 13-Aug-17 13:25:23

I'm Ok with ATMs but am trying to set up a pay as you go phone for my granddaughter and it's a nightmare. I've wasted lots of time on this, and currently having a long conversation on the laptop with an adviser.

phoenix Sun 13-Aug-17 14:10:04

We no longer have a post office in the village, we have a "man in a van", i.e mobile post office. Only there between 9.10 and 11.20, apart from the days it breaks down/can't get through because of floods.

Oh and of course there are times when it is there, but the WiFi connection isn't working, so they can't actually process any transactions confused

Two of the relatively nearby towns no longer have any banks at all shock I kid you not!

Take a look at Torrington (sometimes referred to as Great Torrington) and Hatherleigh. Neither has a bank.

starlily106 Sun 13-Aug-17 19:06:10

I always check my money before leaving the ATM. Never used to until i took the money, put it into the side pocket of my bag and only counted it when i got home. £10 short. Went back to the bank next day and told them. I had to wait for 3 days before i got a phone call to say the machine had shortchanged me, and i had to call in to collect the £10.

wildswan16 Sun 13-Aug-17 19:14:37

I only ever use the ATM machines inside a bank - fortunately we have a Barclays right beside my bus stop. It has an ATM outside but I prefer to go inside as I feel that is much safer (from mugging and from those nasty criminal people who rig the machine to read your card).

I do hate having to pay cheques in by machine - I mourn the days when nice young people were the other side of a counter and did everything for you.

FarNorth Sun 13-Aug-17 21:36:29

"Part of what annoyed me was the attitude of the staff in Sainsbury's "

The staff should simply have told you to contact the bank, as the ATM is nothing to do with the shop.

They had no business making stupid remarks anyway.

Piggypoo Mon 14-Aug-17 07:41:10

Hello, Don't for one minute feel foolish. I got speaking to a lady behind the counter at my local bank.she told me that the best thing to do is to try to get money from the actual bank you are with, as ATM's that are situated in shops, garages, etc, are still the bank's responsibility not the shop's or cinema's , and you still have to defer to bank who owns the machine if any problems. I watched fairly recently as a man in front of me, had his card swallowed up, and the machine, re-jigged itself, and said Next customer please which would have been me, I didn't bother and walked a bit further up the road to a branch of my bank. I know this isn't always convenient, but it always sticks in my mind!

Legs55 Mon 14-Aug-17 20:55:38

I usually draw my cash at our little local Post Office over the counter. They do have a cash machine indoors or at least they did have, there was a notice on it today stating that because of lack of use it is being removed, far rather deal with our lovely Postmaster & he's quicker than the machine.

I do also use machines inside the Bank if I'm in the next Town, our Branch closed last year. At least we still have 2 Banks in our small Devon Townsmile