Gransnet recommended reads

Gransnet forums

Feeling discombobulated!

(51 Posts)
kittylester Thu 10-Aug-17 17:37:18

This morning, I had to take DS1 for his Botox jabs (yet again there was non spare for his poor old mum!!) after which I went to do my normal Thursday Sainsbury's shop.

As usual, on my way into the store, I went to the ATMs to get out some cash. One of the ATMs was not working so I went to the other one, went through the usual procedure (number, amount etc) and waited while the machine churned, the machine stopped churning and nothing happened. Then it started churning again, then it stopped. This happened about half a dozen times so I tried to cancel. Then another woman came to get money, she pushed buttons and stood looking at it with me until I decided that I'd go into the shop and report it.

The girl at Customer Services suggested I ring the bank and cancel my card and assured me that, as my card had gone in, and stayed there, there was no chance of it reappearing and the machine would be designated 'out of order'.

Then, a lady came in and handed my card and cash to the girl on Customer Services!! shock

I was very grateful to her but both women then treated me as though I was stupid not to have stood there for longer.

Nanabilly Thu 10-Aug-17 18:01:15

I can see why this has left you feeling discomwhattsit but try not to dwell on it too much and thank your lucky stars the woman behind you did not take your crash and card.
I would not use that machine again though until I'd seen it work properly for someone else.

Greyduster Thu 10-Aug-17 18:22:17

kitty that is the stuff of which my nightmares are made! I am so pleased you got the card and money back. It's nice to know there are honest people in the world. I hate ATMs and will only use the ones inside our bank (which no longer has counter staff, just blithering machines!).

Maggiemaybe Thu 10-Aug-17 18:46:00

Annoying! We only use inside ATMs or cashback facilities since my DD and niece both had money taken after using ATMs that had been tampered with. We're often treated as though we're silly old fools ("there is an ATM outside, you know"), but we persist regardless.

cornergran Thu 10-Aug-17 19:16:53

Pleased you got your money and card, kitty. Having a suspicious mind I think I'd just call the bank and ask them to look out for suspicious transactions. Just in case it had been tampered with.

Jalima1108 Thu 10-Aug-17 19:36:54

You pinched my word
It's mine, I tell you grin

Jalima1108 Thu 10-Aug-17 19:39:04

My friend put her card in and asked for quite a lot (well, to me a lot) of money at the outside Tesco cash point and got her card back - but no money.
Tesco were very unhelpful and said she must have had the money! but the bank were more helpful and could see that it had not been debited from her account.

rosesarered Thu 10-Aug-17 22:33:42

Phew kitty what a relief for you that you got both card and money.
I am another who likes to go into a bank to use the machine,
But now and again do use the one outside a supermarket.

Swanny Thu 10-Aug-17 22:43:25

kitty pleased that all seems well but I will NOT use an ATM anywhere. I use the cashback facilities when doing a supermarket shop and if I need a larger amount than normal I go into my bank and ensure they make a note of why I need it. If I can't access my own bank (eg on holiday) I'd rather pay extra and use a bank counter service.

Swanny Thu 10-Aug-17 22:45:23

PS Discombobulated is such a lovely word!

kittylester Fri 11-Aug-17 06:19:15

It's not mine though, I borrowed it from Jalima grin

yggdrasil Fri 11-Aug-17 08:07:57

I have never got cash from an ATM, but I am going to have to soon. The branch of my bank in this town is closing.
So it will be ATM or move my account, but there is no guarantee that the other bank will stay open either

PamelaJ1 Fri 11-Aug-17 08:11:58

The first time I used one (I was young at the time) I put the . in the wrong place.
Took me quite a while to cotton on that I didn't have £10,000 in my account.

harrigran Fri 11-Aug-17 08:17:36

Our bank is ATM only and I hate using the machines, especially when you have to feed cheques in.

Auntieflo Fri 11-Aug-17 08:33:26

I got chatting to a lady on the bus yesterday morning. She had come from her town to do some banking. Her local bank had closed down. The next branch that she visited was closed, due to flooding. so she bussed to our town, success, but being a visitor, didn't know where the loos were. 'Holding on tight', she was on her way home when we got chatting and this was when the bus driver made a detour due to road works. I hope she managed to 'hold on'. It's not easy to bank these days is it?

annsixty Fri 11-Aug-17 08:46:18

I have used ATM's since they were first available.
Never thought it a problem and never had a problem.
I do check if anyone is around but never worried until now!!
Am I being naive?

kittylester Fri 11-Aug-17 09:22:39

Ann, I've never had a problem before apart from the time that a machine said I couldn't have any money and then the bank rang about 10 seconds later to see if it was really me taking money out in the middle of Leicester rather than my usual practice of taking it out at Sainsbury's. It was and I was really impressed.

Part of what annoyed me was the attitude of the staff in Sainsbury's who implied that I didn't really know what I was doing. I know how it works and I had waited long enough with no success! And, I joke about being a little old lady but I'm flipping not really.

Lona Fri 11-Aug-17 10:12:30

I always use them too, never had a problem. I always look around and check first, just sensible.
In fact whenever or wherever new machines are introduced,supermarket checkouts, parking machines or atms, I always try them out. How else can we keep up to date with technology?

M0nica Fri 11-Aug-17 10:53:26

I use them regularly, but they are not infallible and do mess up. I always look to check whether they have been tampered with . I saw something once so went in to report it, only to be told it was a new anti-tamper device fitted by the bank .confused

I think as you get older it helps to develop some patronising comment to deal with those who treat you as if your daft. I had an aunt, an retired hospital matron, and under 5ft at her tallest. She would look anyone who tried to patronise her up and down and address them as 'young man' or 'young lady'. It worked a treat.

Nelliemoser Fri 11-Aug-17 11:00:02

I have not had a problem either. Do check that no one is nearby to see what you are doing. Cover the machine when you enter your PIN. Don't wave your card about etc etc.
All proper cash machines should be able to find out if you took your money or not, it might take a few days I don't know.
I have finally succumbed to making small contactless transactions . I wasn't going to do that.

Barmyoldbat Fri 11-Aug-17 20:46:39

I have always used them, here and abroad with no problem. A machine did keep my card in Luang Prabang and gave me no money but there was a notice with banks details so I charged down there with passport etc and demanded, yes demanded that someone went to the machine, unlock it and get my card back. I was told to come back the next day but I lied and said I leaving and needed it now. I got it back thank goodness.

Tegan2 Sat 12-Aug-17 00:49:20

Because your card comes out before the money I once took my card and walked away without taking the money; it was only when I heard a 'clunk' that I realised what had happened. Thankfully, no one had taken the money and it had gone back into the machine. I told the bank and, when they'd cashed up they contacted me and gave me the money. Felt rather silly doing it but then a young girl at work did the same and also my SIL. At least I was able to reassure them that they would most likely get their money back [the girl at work had just written it off] which they did after a few days. I always get cash from the Post Office now that my local bank has closed down. It was the only thing that kept me loyal to HSBC but I'm switching to Santander so I'll get some interest from my current account.

TwiceAsNice Sat 12-Aug-17 08:36:04

I hate ATM's and never use them. There is a branch of my bank in the town where I live and will go in and get cash there, or sometimes as cash back at local store or supermarket

Libbyb5 Sat 12-Aug-17 08:48:50

Strange that it was a Sainsbury's machine - my local Sainsbury's ATM behaves oddly too! Feed in card, enter pin, enter transaction and wait - and wait - then an advert comes on the screen!! At this point I press the cancel button (in panic) and thankfully my card is returned! It doesn't help that it is positioned so that the sun shines directly on the screen and half the time you can't see what is on there :-(
There are three more ATM's in the high street so I now just use one of those.

Kim19 Sat 12-Aug-17 09:08:28

Ditto to Annsixty and Nelliemoser. Never had a problem from day 1 but I do use the 'hand over keyboard' procedure as recommended to me by a banker friend. Such a boon not to have to join the inevitable queue inside any bank.

Add your message here

To post you need a valid nickname and password. Log in if you are a returning member, or join for free.

If you have forgotten your nickname or your password, you can get a reminder.