Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you make new friends in later life?

(61 Posts)
Newquay Sun 13-Aug-17 13:52:26

I have a sister in law early 60s, works full time. She has absolutely no friends at all. I'm amazed but don't know how to help her. She has no-one she can just go for a coffee with or a walk/talk even thought she has a dog.
I live a distance away but, in any event, she needs to make her own friends.
Have suggested local meet up but she hasn't done anything about it. She is depressed and has low self esteem which doesn't help either.

TyneAngel Tue 15-Aug-17 20:03:26

I am relieved (but saddened) to read that others have had negative experiences with U3A, as it gets such a good press everywhere. I still can hardly believe some of my experiences : Racism - tick; homophobia - tick;extreme cliqueiness - tick; exclusion tactics - tick....and more. What has worked is Oddfellows - brilliant, see if there's a branch near you; singing - find a choir without an audition, you'll soon get better; yoga/Zumba/dance/exercise - you do have to persevere and kiss a lot of frogs. Oh, and some WI and TG are not friendly, either. 'You can't sit there', This is the way we've always done it' (even when it's barmy), 'We're saving this row of seats'. Gosh, girls, I didn't realise I was so cross, mainly, I think, because I am a pretty confident person but mind very much for the people who aren't. I real life, I'm quite a pussycat (ahem) grin. Friendly greetings to all xx

Bez1989 Tue 15-Aug-17 21:50:51

LETITIA......Thank you So Much for the NWR LINK. flowers

I might find it useful.

Newquay Tue 15-Aug-17 22:55:35

No Tillywiz she hasn't asked me. I have observed how desperate she is for friendship/human contact. She is emotionally very needy which, ironically, puts folk off! She has little time for making the effort for friendships, she's literally just surviving day to day. She doesn't retire for a few years yet either!

Apricity Tue 15-Aug-17 23:41:38

There seems to be a great need for a group for WOWs-wicked older women. Women with a wicked twinkle in their eyes, girls who still want to have fun, to be ireverent, have opinions, be informed. Perhaps there could be a Gransnet WOW group? And then see what happens....

ajanela Wed 16-Aug-17 00:54:13

Radicalgran, I like you.
I don't understand why you are trying to hang out with these boring people. Come on go out find out if local a local art gallery has a support group or lectures in art and the same with the theatre. If you want to go to the theatre, just go on your own, tell others and there will be others who want to come and maybe drive you.

You may think you are not a stunner but I think you are and your personality and wit seem your best assets,

Cliqueyness, they won't let you in because they are scared you will challenge them or steal their friend. Lack of empathy, they have no understanding of loneliness and forgotten if they ever new how it feels to be the new person alone, they most likely joined with a friend,
Every club, group must have a member whose role is to welcome new members and introduce them to others who will look-after them. It sets up an ethos of friendliness and eventually the clique want to join these friendly people .

Shizam Wed 16-Aug-17 01:01:27

Don't know where you're based, but look at Meetup. It has so many options of group meetings. Reckon one of the walking ones would be a good start.

loopyloo Thu 17-Aug-17 12:18:12

Hi Nisbet, have just seen your post. Yes would love to meet up . We moved to Wanstead 7 years ago and have made some friends but find it difficult. Where would be convenient to you? Thing is always have loads to do round the house and garden but that gets lonely and boring. Husband works long hours.
What sort of thing are you interested in ?

loopyloo Thu 17-Aug-17 12:23:20

Sorry, Niobe

Leticia Fri 18-Aug-17 06:33:34

It already exists Apricity they are Red Hatters

Leticia Fri 18-Aug-17 06:44:04

Sorry to hear that oldwoman70 - that is against everything that NWR stands for- it was formed specifically to get away from talking about home and family!
We have a programme for at least 6months ahead and it is chosen together at a planning meeting - trying to get a variety of serious, lighthearted etc.
We also don't have the same night every meeting so that it doesn't always clash with someone's choir night.