Gransnet forums

Chat

Embarassing PJs moment? I blame Gransnet!

(41 Posts)
Imperfect27 Wed 23-Aug-17 09:49:50

So here's the thing, we NEVER get unexpected visitors - well, nearly never! And if there is a knock at the door around nine a.m., it is always a postal delivery ...

Soooo, I MAY have been dawdling over GN today and come the said knock, was in pj bottoms and an old t-shirt (and nothing else!!!) Not a problem - Parcel? How exciting! I am good at leaning around doorways, keeping most of me hidden and just doing the arm extension bit... grin

Two very nice men stood there ... two very nice men who clearly expected to be allowed in to assess a stairway repair!
blush blush blush

In the circumstances, I think I covered my embarrassment quite well - from my 3/4 hidden position I gave my brightest smile and said 'Do excuse me, I thought you were the postman! Give me 2 minutes and I will be more presentable ..." Closed door - lightning change ...ignoring fact that hair is a disaster, washing up is still in the sink and ironing board cluttering hallway .... SIGH!

On the plus side, having gone into overdrive, I polished off the washing up, tidied and ran an errand in the 20 minutes after they departed. Still blushing now though!

So, has GN ever been responsible for you being caught in your pjs? I think this should be another forum warning! grin

grannylyn65 Wed 23-Aug-17 10:20:50

God yess ?

glammanana Wed 23-Aug-17 10:23:38

Imperfect this has happened many times as when I sit down and turn on GN the time just flies past,what I have started doing the past few years when I need to buy new pj's I treet myself to nice coloured separates which can be worn all day if I'm having a home day if anyone unexpected calls you can talk your way out of any embarressment (most times)

hildajenniJ Wed 23-Aug-17 10:24:55

Not in PJ's as I never wear them, but in nightie and dressing gown yes.

Oldwoman70 Wed 23-Aug-17 10:25:06

I always dress as soon as I have had my shower so have never been caught in pjs, however, I have been caught with my hair in rollers on numerous occasions (don't ask - I could write a book about how awful my hair is!). I can't blow dry it so put it in rollers and leave them in whilst having breakfast but then I get caught up with GN or reading the paper online and next thing I know its the postman or a neighbour or my brother in law who just happens to be passing!

Lona Wed 23-Aug-17 10:27:08

Only my ds and dgd ever call unexpectedly in the morning, but I've upped the standard of my lounging pjs as they were pretty tatty before!
Plus, I've got a buzzer which opens the door as I'm in a first floor flat, so I don't have to reveal my state of undress ??

ninathenana Wed 23-Aug-17 10:34:51

I have a friend who spends every 'home' day in lounging PJ's. I have 'home' clothes that I'd rather not open the door wearing, fortunately we never get unexpected visitors.

Jane10 Wed 23-Aug-17 10:35:32

Both my winter and summer dressing gowns are OTT embarrassing (huge fluffy leopard skin for winter and scarlet spotty one for summer). Anyone I open the door to is so immediately appalled that they never risk seeing this vision again!

Greyduster Wed 23-Aug-17 10:38:34

I was caught thus about a week ago by someone wanting to leave a parcel for next door. No pyjamas, just a bathrobe. I remember in the early days of our marriage, in th Far East, DH never wore pyjamas or anything else in bed. We had been out one night and the young Chinese girl who used to help me in the house, and her sister, had been babysitting for us and stayed over. They were in the kitchen the next morning when DH, heavily hung over, wandered in in the altogether, having forgotten all about them. They screamed. He grabbed the nearest thing to hand - a tea towel - covered his modesty and fled! Never sobered up so quickly in his life. Every time they saw him for some time after, they giggled fit to burst, and he went several shades of bright red and made himself scarce.

Gymstagran Wed 23-Aug-17 11:11:40

Enjoying a rare lazy day when came across this post. Oops thought I had better get dressed just in case.?

Nannylovesshopping Wed 23-Aug-17 11:16:09

Oh dear greyduster nearly read your post wrong!!!blush

Imperfect27 Wed 23-Aug-17 11:41:33

greyduster blush grin !!!

Gymstagran ... oh dear, didn't mean to spoil your day! smile I rarely allow myself to stay in pjs that long - I am just still in post-holiday sloth mode ...

Thing is, I had been up since 6! I find it hard to allow myself to stay in my pjs as a rule.

Nice man 1 is now back to repair some lights outside and needs inside access - I had planned to go into town so feeling a bit put out with it all really, but it does need to be done. Our outside lights have been unreliable for ages - too bright, or non-functional. He is installing LED ones - brilliant solution!

Still haven't managed to wash my hair tho ... was just about to when he called again. One of THOSE days ...

Gymstagran Wed 23-Aug-17 12:56:49

No worries imperfect 27 I'm still lazing on my bed watching tv and scrolling on gransnet

FarNorth Wed 23-Aug-17 15:31:31

For a couple of years, recently, I was working shifts including nights so I was often in night attire at odd times of day.
That helped me to not give a flying tomato what anyone thought if they came to the door unexpectedly, and I still don't.

paddyann Wed 23-Aug-17 16:11:45

I dodnt wear nightclothes so I usually put a maxi dress on when I get up if I'm in a hurry ,always one on the back of the bedroom door for emergencies ..lol

Nelliemoser Wed 23-Aug-17 18:31:51

Imperfect27 That'll learn you. grin Lazy woman. wink

Imperfect27 Wed 23-Aug-17 18:44:57

Nellie grin grin grin

grannylyn65 Thu 24-Aug-17 09:07:59

Open door in whatever am wearing. Don't care !!

Imperfect27 Thu 24-Aug-17 09:19:24

Obviously didn't learn my lesson yesterday ... sitting here in the same garb, same time today ... grin

harrigran Thu 24-Aug-17 10:19:18

I have been caught out often, I now keep a large wrap on the bannister which I sling round my shoulders as I race to answer the door. Backfired this week when I realised, too late, that I didn't have on my plain grey bottoms but jazzy blue cropped pj trousers that were very obviously sleepwear.

radicalnan Thu 24-Aug-17 10:33:36

I have clothes that can be worn as PJ's.............and if I feel like it just wear them all day.

I remember my poor mum coming downstairs in her bathtowel only and heard someone coming along our sideway, she hid in under stairs cupboard and was astonished when the meter reader appeared.

Dad working outside, had seen him coming and said 'the missus is in the bath just let yourself in round the back door'.......an error he was oft reminded of.

I wonder if we got massive 'returns' that time? Used to mean a chip supper when the gas man came and emptied our meter.

Imperfect27 Thu 24-Aug-17 10:51:24

radiclan grin grin grin But oh your poor mum!

I recently bought a pair of 'Arrabian' baggy trousers (sorry - don't know the right name for them) with elastic waist - one size so that tells you all you need to know really - and when we went camping these became my comfy evening wear. I must get another pair ... they are in that pile of washing that needs drying that I didn't put out yesterday blush. They really are comfy and yet look sort-of dressy too!
I think I was most conscious of my lack of bra yesterday - can't kid myself that I looked presentable ha ha.

GrammaH Thu 24-Aug-17 11:02:11

I'm still in PJs at 11 this Morning! I was amused that Imperfect27 covered her embarrassment by telling the 2 men she was expecting the postman! I wonder what they made of that - lady in PJs waiting for the postman eh, nudge nudge, wink wink...!!

Imperfect27 Thu 24-Aug-17 11:12:36

Oh GrammaH, you ARE AWFUL!!!

I wonder what my dear mum would have made of it too! grin

tigger Thu 24-Aug-17 11:33:00

All the time