Gransnet forums

Chat

Vaguely disgruntled

(134 Posts)
Eglantine19 Wed 30-Aug-17 16:59:09

Over the weekend I was invited to a tea party by an acquaintance, a friend of a friend. It was a lovely day, we were on the lawn, three tables of six, chatting about all sorts of things.
Then after a while some little leaflets were deposited on the table, inviting us to join a Bible study group. One of the ladies on each table talked to their table about what their faith meant to them, five minutes maximum.
On leaving I was asked again very nicely if I would like to come to the Bible Study. I said no and thank you for a lovely time and off I went.
It was all very gently done. So why am I feeling a bit - used, I think is the word. I need one of you to soothe me over!

mumofmadboys Fri 01-Sep-17 16:33:07

I understand now Oriel. Didn't mean to miss out the giving bit! Oversight! I agree that many atheists serve others selflessly. I do not think Christians motivation is to be rewarded when they die by the way.

Nannarose Fri 01-Sep-17 15:38:56

As a few have said, if an invitation seems to be ' out of the blue ' then say merrily ' what a lovely idea! Is it in aid of anything or just because you feel like it?'
That way, they have to ' come clean ' or at least know they have been underhand. If they are just sociable people wanting a party they shouldn't be offended. If you want to accept, you've already laid the ground, if you want to refuse, they'll know why.

Oriel Fri 01-Sep-17 15:00:44

mumofmadboys

You said that loving lives can be lived by folk of other religions or none.

I pointed out that you had missed the giving bit out. I did say that I expect this was not a purposeful omission but I wanted to point out that many people of no faith give of themselves to many causes and do so selflessly. Nor do they expect to be rewarded for it when the die.

Oriel Fri 01-Sep-17 14:55:44

A question or two...

Is discussion allowed on GN?

Do all posts in a thread have to be directly related to the original post?

... or is it that we should only discuss egg slicers?

mumofmadboys Fri 01-Sep-17 14:49:26

Oriel if you re-read my post you will see I said 'other religions or none'

adaunas Fri 01-Sep-17 13:45:23

Lucky girl I wouldn't have minded any of those, though JW tend to be more up front. I was invited to what turned out to be a Mormon meeting (offered as a group meeting in developing family evenings). I'm still not a Mormon but the meeting was very interesting and had some useful ideas.
I understand being disgruntled at the thought that I may just have been invited because each person had to bring x new people but I'd try and put this out of my mind, especially when opportunities to make new friends gets harder as time goes on.

lemongrove Fri 01-Sep-17 12:42:05

Well said posts Imperfect27 ?
There are some very strongly worded posts against Christianity on here, when the OP intended no such thing.

trisher Fri 01-Sep-17 10:50:39

Eglantine19 Bible bashers and Joe Wicks- that's really being between the devil and the deep blue sea! You really have my sympathy. (I've looked at his books, my DIL has done it. I just gasped and reached for a biscuit)

Imperfect27 Fri 01-Sep-17 10:42:15

Just to be clear - Eglantine, your post didn't seem anti-religious at all and I am sorry if you feel it has been hijacked into a religious debate. Posts do have a way of meandering smile.

Oriel Fri 01-Sep-17 10:24:24

mumofmadboys people living non religious lives are also capable of giving selflessly. I don't know if it was missed that part from your post purposefully or not, probably not but I just wanted to point that out.

There are many, many secular charities and organisations who do absolutely stirling work, often unsung. Médecins Sans Frontières, Oxfam, Amnesty International to name a tiny few. My husband is involved in an international charity and has been for years, no religious strings attached. You don't need religion to lead a selfless life giving to others.

You say that you feel people are attracted to the Christian faith by seeing how Christians live their lives. How are they living their lives in any way differently to any one else?

I have seen first hand the most appalling behaviour from Christians and have myself been on the receiving end of their 'loving and caring ways'. By the way I was a Christian at the time, so this abusive behaviour was not meted out to me because of my current non-belief. That is my first hand experience. Of course we read almost daily the savage brutality carried out in the name of religion in other regions in the world.

norose4 Fri 01-Sep-17 10:21:18

Brilliant ,Trisher ,a girl after my own heart. I used to get fed up with men talking about car engines, so introduced my own washing machine conversation. Certainly put a halt on the proceedings for a while.?

Eglantine19 Fri 01-Sep-17 10:18:44

Ah yes Trisher. Alas for my Joe Wicks dietgrin

trisher Fri 01-Sep-17 10:10:41

Oh I would have been so tempted to say I was a fully paid up Satanist and would they like to come round and have tea at mine sometime and we could discuss how things were going and who was winning. I don't mind people being religious, I don't mind them asking if I would like to join them, but to do it at tea-time and ruin it. It shouldn't be allowed. I understand exactly how you felt Eglantine19 I just hope the cakes were good and you ate as many as possible.

norose4 Fri 01-Sep-17 10:08:55

I can understand that feeling Eglantine, old friend contacted me to meet up & I thought ohh how lovely, but come the day it was 'pyramid selling ' (any one remember that?) that was on the agenda. Although it was an unpleasant feeling I was very grateful to realise that I am not a person who works that way. I guess that old saying 'birds of a feather stick together ' another old saying I love is ' if it sounds to good to be true , it usually is to good to be tue ! Ohh dear just realised that I have become cynical ?

mumofmadboys Fri 01-Sep-17 10:02:20

Thanks for replying Imperfect. I too am married to a clergyman but he is retired now although still helping out.
I don't feel you should think you are ' not as likeable as you thought you were ' Eglantine. I too would not have liked a tea party with a disguised agenda. I think people are attracted to the Christian faith by seeing Christians living loving and giving lives and acting out their faith. ( I am not suggesting in any way that loving lives are not lived by folk of other religions or none)

Eglantine19 Fri 01-Sep-17 09:45:23

Just to be clear I wasn't starting an anti-religious post. Frankly it was all about ME! I thought I was being asked to a tea party because there was something about ME that someone liked and the disgruntlement/ruffled feathers was I think a result of feeling that I was just a potential recruit. Obviously not as likeable as I thought I was!
That was what bothered me.
This is the woman who went past the Mormon headquarters in London last year and thought "Didnt know this was here. I'll just go in to see."

Oriel Fri 01-Sep-17 09:12:39

No, I genuinely don't see any derogatory posts.

There are opposing viewpoints but that's what discussion is about isn't it? How has anyone been offensive?

I too was very involved in the church and my husband was a church elder. He has come from a family of preachers going back generations. We are both atheists now, as are most of the family. Those who remain in the church do so because of the fear of leaving, not because they have faith. When I say fear, I mean the fear of loosing the social club to which they belong. To pull out takes courage, as we have found out as we lost all our 'friends'. I'm only telling you this so you don't think I'm coming from a viewpoint based on ignorance imperfect.

Many people have been and are being deeply scarred by religious doctrine and it's outworking - it's bound to come in for a backlash. It warrants discussion. Too many people play the I'm offended faith card.

Day6 Fri 01-Sep-17 08:49:17

somehow

Day6 Fri 01-Sep-17 08:47:59

Well said Imperfect.

I too as involved with the church many moons ago, until I decided organised religion wasn't for me.

I wouldn't want to be 'recruited' and perhaps I'd have been annoyed to discover a hidden agenda for a tea party, but I quite like listening to the reasons why people believe, so it wouldn't have bothered me too much. I am fairly strong so wouldn't have been coerced into anything.

I too know women who are pillars of the community and they are Christians. None feel the need to tell me they are but all of them do so much for their communities in quiet and conscientious ways. They are the epitome of Christianity, for me. They give of themselves and look after the needs of others. Their faith and church are not for me, but I do admire them and the way they someone find the vulnerable when they are at rock bottom. They don't have a recruitment agenda, just a faith which drives them to care.

It takes all sorts and I for one feel the world is made richer by having people in it who give up their time and go out of their way to help others, whether they have a faith or not.

Imperfect27 Fri 01-Sep-17 08:47:28

Oriel l think if you re-read you may spot some unnecessarily derogatory comments. I have no problems with discussing topics, but some posts are derogatory. mumofbadboys*, no l don't mind you asking and yes, l have 'a' faith, but find it easier to express beyond organised religion. I always said l was more spiritual than religious in younger life. I value many things about the C of E and miss some traditions, but cannot sign up wholeheartedly to all the doctrines/ credal statements and find it more useful to contemplate God as 'love in all things.'

FarNorth Fri 01-Sep-17 08:43:05

I used to belong to a Christian group and many of its members were genuinely concerned about what would happen to their friends and relatives, if they did not "accept the truth" before their deaths.
If that is one's mindset then it's not unnatural one would feel it okay to use any possible method to help people to see "the truth".
That's not to say that it will be well received, of course.

mumofmadboys Fri 01-Sep-17 08:22:54

Out of interest Imperfect do you still have your faith and do you still belong to a church? I hope you don't mind me asking. If you do please ignore me.

Oriel Fri 01-Sep-17 08:06:56

Surely the whole point of GN is to have discussion topics. I haven't seen anyone showing ignorance and if they're knocking Christianity that's their prerogative. Everyone has been polite in their discussion. I don't understand why you want the discussion to stop.

Imperfect27 Fri 01-Sep-17 07:30:56

Whilst I empathise wholeheartedly with the OP's sense of 'vague disgruntlement' (love that phrase!), some posts here have made me wince.

I was actively involved in church life for decades, married to a vicar and have an honours degree in theology. I might also have fallen into the category of a 'middle England lady of Christianity.' I hosted tea parties in the rectory garden, I ran prayer and study groups, I set up a parent and toddler group which still serves the community. However, none of this was done with the 'sneaky' desire to evangelize and drive people through the doors of church as an imperative. Rather, I look back on a time of service to the community and intellectual enquiry, founded in love, not fundamental extremism.

The whole point of 'faith' is that it is 'beyond' what is rational - it requires a 'leap' - which is challenging because of course, rationally, it does not make sense.. Therefore it is not an intellectual failing to 'believe' it is a choice. Where 'blind faith' is apparent within a congregation, that will always require challenge if it founds bigotry and extremist tendencies.

However, many, many people who identify with a Christian faith go on enquiring and wondering, rather than ignoring the intellectual challenges involved. In my experience, they are people of deep integrity with sound values. Many have made wonderful contributions to the fabric of our society.

I have no desire for an' argey bargey' about religion, but some of these posts show a lot of ignorance and, frankly, a cheap desire to 'knock' Christianity by taking one (to my mind) ill-advised form of evangelism as representative of the whole and then applying all manner of negative and offensive labels.

Fact: it was a sneaky tea party.
Fact: it was not unreasonable for the OP to feel justly disgruntled.
Let's just leave it there.

Except to say Phoenix- what a triumph! And I for one would have preferred your tea party. grin

maddy629 Fri 01-Sep-17 06:29:51

Oh phoenix you are naughty wink