Gransnet forums

Chat

Responsibility for our own actions

(109 Posts)
MawBroon Thu 31-Aug-17 10:26:21

On the news this morning there was an item on an online betting firm being fined a huge amount of money (£8m) "failing vulnerable customers" and not helping them to limit their gambling addiction.
Yesterday, I think, there was an item on You and Yours about credit card limits being raised without the consent of the card holder.
My point is, at what point can we justifiably blame others for our own actions?
Nobody forces you to max out your credit card, to bet online, to drink sugary drinks (others are available) or to pig out on snacks and crisps.
If the corollary is the Nanny State where as adults we are not allowed to take responsibility for our actions , I for one would rather take my chance, make my own decisions and take the consequences.

TriciaF Sun 03-Sep-17 09:39:43

The interest that builds up on unpaid credit cards must be a huge part of the bank's income. Friends of mine were paying 25%!

Skweek1 Sun 03-Sep-17 11:52:59

I'm a semi-pro punter (note not a gambler. I don't back unless I'm at least 50% certain, normally 75+% that my horse or football bet - these are my specialities - will win). I make a profit most days. Every responsible online bookie encourages new members to set deposit/bet limits and you can't override until 24 hours after changing limits and they all say to stop when it's no longer fun. My ex insisted on doing a horse yankee every day, but I hated that because he often had one good priced winner but no return. I know some people are weak and need help, but if they are stupid enough to use 888, a bingo-running company, they only have themselves to blame - no skill in bingo and if I want to play bingo would go to my local Mecca hall with my friends, not go online.

MissAdventure Sun 03-Sep-17 11:54:51

Going out isn't an option for some people.

gillybob Sun 03-Sep-17 11:56:19

One of mine was 29.9% TriciaF shock until I moved it to a 0% recently . Sadly Credit cards are a must for me but the interest is so hefty it becomes impossible to pay them off .

guiltyson Fri 15-Sep-17 16:39:08

There has always been "buyer beware" in law. BUT.....

I think there are consumers where the seller should not be able to sell, without understanding there is a risk. I think this should be for when people are unable to fully understand the purchase, are mentally or emotionally vulnerable.

This should make the seller more careful with who they approach. Also make them work harder to explain stuff in a way that the buyer understands.

This should definitely be the case for finance and utility stuff.

Ilovecheese Fri 15-Sep-17 17:21:53

i think you are right guiltyson Isn't that what happened with "sub prime" mortgages.

varian Fri 15-Sep-17 19:34:34

When in 2011, one British couple won £156 million on the Eurolottery, many other gamblers lost, and some would have lost more that they could afford. How many lives were damaged by that transaction?

What makes it worse is that the winners, who could not possibly spend such a huge amount, chose to donate a lot of money to a political party which was determined to destroy the United Kingdom.

Some may see gambling as harmless fun, to others it is a legitimate business, but IMO it does seem to do more harm than good.

lemongrove Fri 15-Sep-17 19:57:53

You must mean the SNP Varian ? What a waste of good money giving it to them!