Gransnet forums

Chat

cringe moments

(50 Posts)
frankie74 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:35:52

I have suffered several cringe moments over the years, but last night's will take some beating. We were invited to dinner at our friends' home, with another couple. Luckily we all know each other pretty well. As well as wine, we had taken a box of cherry liqueur chocolates, which were opened afterwards when we had coffee. I took mine in turn, and wasn't the first to pop it in my mouth. I sensed something not right, and fished out.....a tiny maggot! I immediately told everyone not to eat their chocolate, but it was too late for two of them (though to be fair, theirs might not have been infested!) I was mortified, but amused when our hostess remarked that if she had provided the chocs, she would have kept quiet about the maggot! How could I do that? I took another choc to give the others some hope, but alas! there was another maggot, inside the chocolate. DH grabbed the whole box and examined it...no evidence of forced entry... and put them in the bin, Everyone was very nice about it. and we're still friends. Hopefully they will accept our dinner invitation when I've recovered enough to send one out

JackyB Sun 01-Oct-17 10:58:35

One person's embarrassment is another's forgettable incident. This could have happened to anyone.

At a place I once worked, a girl had baked a cake for her leaving "party" - there were only about four of us, so it was a cup of coffee and a cake. She had sprinkled some chopped hazelnuts on before cutting it, as decoration. Unfortunately, the bag of nuts was inhabited like your chocolates, and the cake was crawling. I asked if this was intentional - poor girl was mortified, but I was quite happy to remove the maggots and carry on, especially as they had only just been added.

I once read an article about this sort of thing - people being really embarrassed about something, while anyone else would just have shrugged. For example, for one woman it was the end of the world when her neighbour told her that, as it rained when she was away, she had taken her washing in for her.

The "washing" had been hung out intentionally to give intruders the message that someone was in, or at least due back soon, and was just some worthless old rags.

Anyone else would surely have thanked the neighbour and explained this to them, but she was just horrified to think that her neighbour now thought that was her normal washing!

So don't worry. The other guests will either forget it, or trundle out the story at other dinner parties, but no one will blame you!

frankie74 Sun 01-Oct-17 11:20:02

JackyB..You are a kind person , like my friends last night. I think maybe I will be able to laugh about this one day grin

DanniRae Sun 01-Oct-17 12:42:13

I was making a cake and suddenly realised that the flour had weevils in it (where do the horrible things come from - are they in the flour when you buy it?) Anyway, the problem was I had made a cake for someone the week before when they obviously were not detected.
I never told her!

pensionpat Sun 01-Oct-17 12:47:00

Dannirae. I think weevils develop in flour when it reaches a certain age. D0nt know what age. I'm sure I will have eaten some unknowingly if I haven't baked for a long time. Apparently, if you notice them, you should empty your cupboard of any opened food and thoroughly disinfect the whole cupboard. I would rather not notice. At least they've been cooked! Extra protein!

BlueBelle Sun 01-Oct-17 12:49:36

I m amazed you put it in the bin that would have gone right back to the manufacturers with maggot complete in a plastic bag if it had been me nothing for you to be embarrassed about but the makers should know as there may be other boxes on the shelves

frankie74 Sun 01-Oct-17 13:47:03

I live in France, and I have no original receipt, showing place and date of purchase. Required in France for any complaints

lemongrove Sun 01-Oct-17 16:30:25

frankie74 how awful for you!
At least you won’t be buying any other chocs from that particular shop.I think your cringe moment may be one for the record!?

Telly Sun 01-Oct-17 17:13:09

Having dinner with friends one night when I noticed a large bright green caterpillar that had been boiled along with the brocolli. I just tucked him under the bit I hadn't eaten......

ninathenana Sun 01-Oct-17 17:41:35

Bluebelle just what I was tthinkin.

Did you check the date on them before they were binned ? I'm not insinuating you'd had them in the cupboard for months smile

frankie74 Sun 01-Oct-17 18:38:55

they were well in date, but I had had them in my cupboard for about 2 weeks. Funny thing is that there were no signs on the box or the wrappers of a 'break-in' , and no maggot visible until the wrapper came off! It must have been from inside the cherry

BlueBelle Sun 01-Oct-17 19:24:10

Receipt or not I would have taken them back and left them opened on the counter, not to get any money back but purely to make them aware of the situation I would also have written to the manufacturer for all you know the whole batch could be wriggling it’s way round France

Crafting Sun 01-Oct-17 19:25:46

Maggots in chocolate ???!! I have never ever heard of such a thing. How on earth do maggots get into a box of chocolates. I would have informed public health let alone taken them back to the shop.

MissAdventure Sun 01-Oct-17 20:00:05

'Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get'.

DanniRae Sun 01-Oct-17 21:10:20

I read once that chocolate is allowed to have a certain amount of insect parts in it. Didn't put me off eating it however! shock

MontanaGal Sun 01-Oct-17 21:25:12

MissAdventure, Love your comment. How awful for you Frankie74, at least you were among good friends.

Menopaws Sun 01-Oct-17 22:27:15

Soft centre anyone!

grassgreen Mon 02-Oct-17 13:53:10

Years ago I worked with a women whose husband always dressed in flowery shirts, and wore a very large gold medallion to attract attention to his very well covered hairy chest.

She came into work one morning absolutely mortified. Apparently she had made a cheesecake with a base of digetsive biscuits for her dinner party guests. It was only as her guests started picking (what turned out to be her husband's chest hair) out of their teeth that she recalled what she had done.

In the spirt of 'waste not, want not' she had tipped the dregs of the biscuit tin into the biscuit base mix forgetting her husband's habit of sitting in from of the TV each evening, bare chested, presumably molting into the said biscuit tin as he gobbled on the digetsives.

Apparently her guests were highly amused.

I know that she eventually divorced the husband.

lemongrove Mon 02-Oct-17 15:18:54

Yeugggggh! Chest hairs in the cheescake ( sounds like the title of an Alan Bennett play.?)
Nothing like that, but I did once have a cringe moment when I met old friends And introduced my husband,who was (I thought) standing behind me, when in fact it was a complete stranger, who looked startled to say the least.?
DH was dawdling miles behind looking at something or other.

judypark Mon 02-Oct-17 16:31:00

Not cringe worthy for me, but when my DH, MIL and I were viewing the building progess of our first house (FIL was the sole estate agent for the new development) we got chatting to another couple also viewing their property. "Have you met the estate agent yet?" The woman asked us." He's a right funny old bugger". She then went on to do a brilliant take off of FILs ex- army clipped accent. As we said our goodbyes MIL extended her hand saying " lovely to meet you and by the way I'm Mrs P." The poor woman's face was an absolute picture.

Purpledaffodil Tue 03-Oct-17 19:49:20

Apologies if I've told this before, but when I was a student coming home for the hols on the train, I pulled my bag off the luggage rack and showered the city gent sitting below in pungent orange curry powder. I was mortified, but to his eternal credit he laughed and said, "I always told my wife I was pretty hot stuff and she'll have to believe me now." ?

mimiro Tue 03-Oct-17 22:36:01

dannirae
www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Weevils-%28Flour-Bugs%29

lilihu Wed 04-Oct-17 11:40:34

Purpledaffodil that’s almost MY story. I was a student going home for a weekend on the bus. Dragged my cheap red plastic case ( crammed with my dirty washing!!) off the overhead rack, when it split and showered the two passengers below with my smalls! Of course in those days, they were actually “small”.
I had to walk a mile home from the bus stop, holding the case in both arms in front of me. My face was as red as the case.
Frankie74 eventually, like I have, you’ll be able to laugh and tell the story as a funny tale....just might take a while!
Have loved the responses- nice to have a good giggle in the morning - sets me up for the day.

DanniRae Wed 04-Oct-17 16:02:06

Thank you mimiro!
When my daughter was earning some money babysitting she returned home and realised that she had a pen in her back pocket THAT WAS LEAKING. Further more she had been sitting on the people's CREAM SOFA and had been driven home in their beautiful car with real leather seats! She is 44 now and this was many, many years ago but she still can't bear to think about it - I don't supposed that they got over it very quickly either shock.

kittylester Wed 04-Oct-17 16:10:47

I once very kindly told the receptionist in our hotel that she had smeared ink over one side of her face.

'its my birthmark!' she said!

I still go hot and cold thinking about it!