Gransnet forums

Chat

Why my husband mustn't leave me!

(109 Posts)
kittylester Thu 05-Oct-17 20:59:49

because the kitten brought in a (dead) mouse so I had to shut the kitchen door until dh came home.

Nor can I cope with large 'crunchy' spiders!

And, I can't change the bulbs in the glass cupboards in the kitchen.

I quite like him too.

What vital tasks does your Dh perform?

ninathenana Fri 06-Oct-17 09:38:30

I need him to....
Go in the loft
Do the DIY
Do the garden (he loves it)
Climb ladders to clear guttering (hates it but does it, bless him)
Make the bed, our mattress is so heavy I can't lift the corners out of the sleigh bed frame to fit the bottom sheet properly.

Mostly for kisses n cuddles.

I can deal with rodents, creepy crawlies, fuses, light bulbs, wireing plugs. As for technology he asks me

Humbertbear Fri 06-Oct-17 10:06:54

My husband clears the hair out of the bath plug area. I physically can't do. I am fighting the urge to throw up just writing this

GrannyJan9 Fri 06-Oct-17 10:09:54

My Husband: just Loves me even with all my annoying habits. What more could I ask.......?
Now my Ex: I thought I couldn't live without him and his vital jobs but strangely I managed just fine when we split and found my own mo-jo to take on the nasty tasks.
But it was the love and companionship I missed so... that's what I want! blush

loopyloo Fri 06-Oct-17 10:10:30

Replacing the felt on the shed roof.
Carrying anything heavy from the DIY shop.
Explaining physics to me.
Being tough in a difficult situation.

adnil1949 Fri 06-Oct-17 10:12:36

I divorced mine he didn`t do anything I couldn`t do for myself, also things he didn`t notice I`d done. I completely decorated a room once and it took him a week to notice.

Nonnie Fri 06-Oct-17 10:12:56

None of the above!

He does up my necklaces when I can't.
He keeps me company and listens when I moan
He does most of the driving because he likes to and I don't.

minimo Fri 06-Oct-17 10:14:52

Sorting out the car insurance and taking out the bins. Also reminding me when his family members need a card or present buying hmm

Cubagran Fri 06-Oct-17 10:15:17

I could not get rid of mine because he:
Cleans the oven
Goes up into the loft for the Christmas decorations, holiday suitcases
Washes up (mostly)
Unscrews those pesky childproof bleach bottles
Cuts the grass
Never complains about my spending
Likes my cooking
Brings me a cup of coffee and a nightcap every evening
Has just let me get two Birman kittens
And he loves me!

libra10 Fri 06-Oct-17 10:17:46

Like cornergran, I hate frogs, and if he sees any he helps them to hop along.
He takes out the bins, does the vacuuming, most of the gardening, he also makes the best tomato and herby soup.

Most importantly, he reaches things from top cupboards, as I'm not very tall.

Singlegrannie Fri 06-Oct-17 10:17:56

Unfortunately, some of us have to cope with doing all of these things which we thought we couldn't do.

margie303 Fri 06-Oct-17 10:28:18

Thank you for making me laugh. My comment would be to treasure your nice kind and helpful husbands. Mine died 11 years ago and I miss him, although he was more worried by spiders than I am. He used to cook ( he took early retirement and I worked), do the garden and pay the bills. I've had to learn the finances and deal with spiders. Haven't got a cat so no mouse pressies lol.

TerriBull Fri 06-Oct-17 10:29:08

Changes light bulbs
Unblocks the showers, usually caused by the build up of my hair products blush
I feel really bad saying this, but he fills my car up with petrol
Books it in for it's MOT and liases with the garage.
Does all the garden maintenance and buys any new plants
Puts out the rubbish
Painting and decorating if needed
Does all the driving when we are out together, but to be fair he suffers from car sickness if driven by anyone else and he's a better driver than me.
Has done maintainance on my parents' grave when we visit it.
Helped me sell my mother's home when she died. Helps me with the rental and maintenance of a property left to me by a sibling.
Tracks down workmen such as plumbers/electricians if required.
Arranged for a weekly cleaner a couple of years ago and pays her.

OMG what can I say shock I feel embarrassed now I've listed these thing. I know I'm lucky I couldn't ask for a better husband and as others have said, I treasure him.

Actually don't feel that bad he's out playing golf as I'm typing this he usually plays 3 times a week, I'm glad he has a hobby that gives him pleasure and keeps him fit, even if it is boring grin

I do however do:

Pretty much all of the food shopping
95% of the cooking, he does knock up the occasional scrambed eggs
I arrange holidays and trips away, he can't be arsed faffing around on the computer for prolonged periods of time,it gives him a headache
Cinema outings
Most of the family get togethers and catering required
I buy him books I know he will like In fact I've seen a new Peter May who is one of his favourite authors which I'll get him.
Suggest presents for members of his side of the family.
Help with selecting cards for them, small things I know, but I'm better at those things than him.

LoobyLoo33 Fri 06-Oct-17 10:32:49

I didn't realise just how multi-talented I was until I read this. ? I'm not frightened of spiders, mice, frogs, the dark, loud noises etc. I see to the dustbins, the garden, sorting out my car and can't remember the last time I asked my (very busy) bloke to do anything I couldn't manage myself.

IngeJones Fri 06-Oct-17 10:32:57

Dont put dead wildlife in the food bin, they might have diseases or even be poisoned and that would contaminate the the collection. Best to put them in the black bin or black bag or whatever the general rubbish goes into.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 06-Oct-17 10:33:57

DH does the bins, he takes great pleasure in folding cupboard, sorting recycling.
He is exceptionally good at sitting on the sofa reading his kindle, whilst I tidy round him, and do chores that my cleaners do not. I know it's a luxury to have a cleaner, but, I will keep them until,such time DH lets the gardener go.
DH retired in December, and was very good (most of the time) whilst I nursed my DM here in her last months.
Just wish he would find a hobby, I go to the gym, meet up with friends and love to shop with DD (he accompanies us sometimes, good at bag carrying, but not helpful with comments - do you need that, why are we going here, etc)
I love him dearly, but unfortunately I do not always like him I really hope we can get over this newly retired hitch.
(I haven't worked in family business for 12 years, though I have taken on GC care and elderly parents)

seadragon Fri 06-Oct-17 10:39:30

I love this thread - especially the story about the sofa and the mouse - it made me laugh out loud. I sometimes laughingly call my husband my 'carer'. In fact there is more than an element of truth there. He supported me through a major postnatal psychiatric illness in the early days of our marriage and recently through the shock of treatment for a serious cardiac condition. We share an outlandish sense of humour. He does all the 'manly' chores mentioned here as well as most of the cooking and shopping. Those of us who have been lucky enough to find treasures like him will treasure them all after this I think. Thank you Kittylester.

seadragon Fri 06-Oct-17 10:40:22

Meant to say 'all the more'!

Everthankful Fri 06-Oct-17 10:47:45

Anything my late husband did around the house had to be checked by me and put right after he had gone out. Couldn’t even change a plug as he was colourblind and always got the wires wrong! I don’t think he ever put the bins out in over 40years of marriage. I do miss his haphazard efforts though!

sarahellenwhitney Fri 06-Oct-17 10:56:55

Kittylester
Where does romance feature in this?
So apart from being an unpaid 'do it all ' which appears to be of great importance to you is there any other reason why you would not want DH to leave you.?sad

TerriBull Fri 06-Oct-17 10:58:17

I forgot to add my husband does any washing up such as saucepans and loads the dishwasher. I however, sort all the washing and do a little bit more ironing than him, 60% to his 40%, but it all counts smile.

Reading through this it makes me realise what a lazy sod my father was. My mother went to work part time when we were in junior school and full time when we were at seniors, she did all the shopping, cooking, washing up, housework, ironing, clearing away, occasionally my dad would have a foray into the kitchen but would leave a trail of debris for her to clear up and there was never a reciprocal cup of coffee or tea. He wasn't a hands on father either. Perhaps we are shaped by these early experiences but I made up my mind I wanted something quite different in a partner/husband than what my mother had.

Craftycat Fri 06-Oct-17 10:58:35

Ummmmm! Still thinking- there MUST be something.
I have no problem with rodents-had pet mice & rats as a child. Cats tend to eat anything they catch.
No problem with spiders.
I do all cooking,housework, gardening, shopping etc. (well I do have a lovely gardner once a fortnight for heavy things). I book holidays, arrange social events. Car goes to garage if it is sick. I did all the dog walking when we had one. I get DGC from school.
He will empty dishwasher at weekends & he sorts all computer problems out- but that is his area of expertise anyway.
Oh I know!!! He goes out to work to PAY for it all.
I'm retired. ( & no- he didn't do anything when we were both working either).
Works for us.

KatyK Fri 06-Oct-17 11:01:57

I don't drive so I'd never get anywhere. He ferries me here and there at the drop of a hat.
He is kind and fair and puts up with my (many neurotic ramblings)
He makes sure we are paying the best possible prices for gas/electric etc by chopping and changing regularly.
He changes plugs which I can't do
He mows the lawns which I have never done!
He (occasionally) paints and decorates when needed
He generally makes sure the house is in reasonable order.
Books holidays and usually gets a nice place for a fair price
Too many things to mention here really.
Also he is loyal to those who have always been there for him. smile

threexnanny Fri 06-Oct-17 11:02:25

He does all the manual stuff, decorating and DIY. He also pays the bills. All of that I could probably sort out for myself if I had to, but what I would miss are the cuddles and the reassuring warm body gently (hopefully!) snoring next to me in the middle of the night.

Serkeen Fri 06-Oct-17 11:08:21

So nice to hear that so many people are happy with their DH
Refreshing Uplifting smile

inishowen Fri 06-Oct-17 11:08:59

He deals with all the financial stuff and knows how to get a good return on investments.
A few months ago he set a mouse trap and dealt with the revolting consequences of the mouse being caught.
He took our beloved cat to be put down because i couldn't face it. (She was very old)
He sorts out repairs to the cars.
He mows the lawn.
He cooks every evening.
He helps me stand up for myself when I'm asked to do too much babysitting.
He's not perfect, neither am I, but I got a good'un!