Gransnet forums

Chat

Insomniacs not so anonymous!

(861 Posts)
MissAdventure Mon 09-Oct-17 00:33:42

Well, I went to have a good old moan in the 'anyone awake' thread, and found it has been closed. So, here is a new one.
I'm awake, I have a headache, I'm at work, so can't go prowling around, and I know tomorrow is going to be a terrible day.

Menopaws Wed 11-Oct-17 04:06:54

Woke for a wee and my husbands alarm goes off at five so now waiting for that but my day off today so once he's out I'll catch another couple of hours

JaneD3 Wed 11-Oct-17 04:19:27

Morning! My alarm is set for 5.15 so I wake at 3.30! Why is that? I have to go to Shropshire then get to Wolverhampton for a 10am meeting. All about Mum who is still hanging in there. You are so good Nana3 - I don't go nearly often enough.

Grandma70s Wed 11-Oct-17 06:02:58

Good morning all. I’ve been awake since 4.30.

I wonder why some people can sleep and some can’t? I have an irritating friend who tells me I probably don’t need any more. If that’s the case, why do I feel so awful if I don’t sleep?

Nana3 Wed 11-Oct-17 06:05:02

My OH just gone off to work, this is late for him, I won't get back to sleep but will read for a bit.
Good luck with you're meeting Jane, I only live 20 minutes from Mum's care home so don't have all that driving. Have a safe journey.

NanKate Wed 11-Oct-17 06:42:27

I’m not sure if I am eligible for this thread as I usually have no problem going to sleep, however getting up twice in the night to go to the loo doesn’t help.

My problem is I am waking earlier and earlier. 5.00am this morning when it used to be 6.30. This early waking has a knock on effect all day, but I am speaking to the converted and to some of you my sleep pattern may sound quite good.

So pleased I have my IPad to hand as I have been known to stick my earphones in and watch some tv series. I am off now to virtual Shanghai to watch the tennis. ?

cornergran Wed 11-Oct-17 07:16:50

We're all 'eligible' nankate, 5am is very early. I didn't sleep until gone 2am, awake before 7. It's not enough really but I will cope, I do know that for me lack of sleep slows me cognitively more than physically and I am more emotional over little things. Sometimes I just want to stamp both feet and say, well shout 'it's not fair'.

Marydoll Wed 11-Oct-17 08:05:24

Woke on and off all night, then "slept in" until 7.45am. I have so much to do today and my head is so fuzzy and as you say Cornergran, it's not fair. If my friend tells me once more that she falls asleep as soon as her head hits the pillow and she sleeps all night, I will scream. sad

morethan2 Thu 12-Oct-17 00:25:50

Huff huff I just can't sleep. I tried but think I'm worried about my daughter who I found out today that she's lost her job. She didn't tell me I think she's knows we've got enough going on with my son's family. The thing is we've had decades of problems with her and I just can't face another one of her downward spirals. I promised myself I wouldn't get worked up about it,but it hasn't worked. It just popped into my tired brain. My husband is snoring so that's not helping. Then My maudlin side started to think about my MiL who died earlier this year. We put mourning on a back burner because of my DiL illness but I can see and hear her tonight as clear as a bell and the realisation that I'll never see her again is painful. That thought led me on to thinking that I hope that my last few years aren't as miserable as her's were. So now I'm thinking perhaps it's not a good idea to live too long, better to die earlier and leave good memories. Now wonder I can't sleep. Anyone else's brain plays this kind of rubbish self indulgent pity mulling over and over or is it just me? Nope don't answer that I have enough to keep me awake. I hope it's not going to be a long night. How on earth do all these thoughts fit into one small brain confusedWell at least I don't have to go to work tomorrow, thankful for retirement. .

Synonymous Thu 12-Oct-17 02:08:32

My DH tells me he never sleeps but how he manages to snore so loudly and have such serious twitchy legs and never hear me if I speak to him truly puzzles me. I just wish that I could 'not sleep' in the way that he does it, there is clearly a knack to it! hmm

Anniebach Thu 12-Oct-17 03:11:02

I long for a good nights sleep, wake about three every night, feel so ill. I have run out of alphabet games to play, this leaves the mind free to dwell on unpleasant thoughts

JaneD3 Thu 12-Oct-17 03:45:45

Here we are again! Thought tonight would be fine after last night and then long drives but not to be! Fuming at the NHS for removing mum's funding. You only get it for 6 weeks if you are dying!!

Grandma70s Thu 12-Oct-17 05:09:58

Why did nobody warn us that life was going to be this difficult? I don’t have the terrible worries that some of you have (yet) but sleep just eludes me. Seem to have been awake most of night. Gave up trying to sleep about an hour ago.

Greyduster Thu 12-Oct-17 06:40:30

Me too. Twenty past three....ping! And then a tidal sweep of anxieties.

Marydoll Thu 12-Oct-17 07:04:38

Me too! Have DGD in an hour, trying to summon up energy to get dressed.

NanKate Thu 12-Oct-17 07:08:37

Although on the whole I sleep better than most of you folks it appears we all seem to have something in common worrying about our nearest and dearest. I remember saying to my dear old mum ‘you never stop worrying, and she replied ‘wait till you are my age and you will understand’. Well I do understand now and she was bloomin’ well right.

Now onto some positives I do find listening to relaxation meditations on YouTube help me fall asleep. They are free. I just plug in my earphones so not as to disturb DH and following the verbal instructions helps. I rather cleverly put a tea towel in between the screen and close the flap to hide the light and then as I just feel myself dropping off I pull out the cloth so that the battery does not run down over night. I use a variety of meditations but the ones by The Honest Guys seem to suit me best.

Finally on one of these meditations I remember the words ‘worrying does not help anyone’ or words to the effect and it seemed to resonate with me and of late when I have been worrying about my DS and my two small GSs I have tried to divert my thoughts and concentrate on something else.

I have wittered on enough. Hope you all cope with today whatever that might bring.

Anniebach Fri 13-Oct-17 03:07:39

Usual 3am waking, am now drained of energy, months of this .

tanith Fri 13-Oct-17 03:59:40

Another wakeful night fo me too, the fire alarm started beeping and woke us, it just needed charging thankfully. OH was asleep in 5 mins and here am I nearly 2hrs later.
Someone's car alarm went off too.

Day6 Fri 13-Oct-17 04:29:19

4.23am and I am still awake. I was up at seven yesterday so that's à 17 hr day I've had so far. I am beginning to panic because I have visitors in the morning and grandson to collect from school, for a sleepover. I often feel quite ill the day after a sleepless night and worrying about that isn't helping. I shall try a You Tube meditation. Thank you for the tip NanKate.

fiorentina51 Fri 13-Oct-17 04:41:06

I'm in the same boat as most of you. Awake at 2am, brain in overdrive going through various family worries, husband snoring contentedly.....?
We will be going away for a few days heading off today. Thank goodness I'm not driving. Meeting up with friends and going to a nice hotel. I know darn well that no matter how good the bed will be, I will still wake about 2am!
Will faff about on here for a bit then toddle off and attempt another hour or two of sleep.
Enjoy Friday 13th folks! ?

MawBroon Fri 13-Oct-17 05:20:00

A trip (more like awayday) to the Urgent Care Centre because DH has bloody stools and also a catheter prob /uti meant we didn’t get home till 11 . He has had me up at hourly intervals with “dire rear”and I could WEEP. 1.30, 2.40, 3 something , 4 something and now and this will go on I know. He is due to have a blood transfusion today at 10 please, please can I go back to bed then? Despairing.

MawBroon Fri 13-Oct-17 05:50:16

And again ☹️

cornergran Fri 13-Oct-17 06:03:29

Oh maw, my waking at 1 for an hour or so and then again at 5 seems nothing to complain about. Yes, of course go back to bed whenever you can. You surely must. Take especially care if you are driving today. annie is right, it's draining. Enjoy your trip florentina, hope the meditation is working day6 and you got back to sleep tanith. I'm just cross with myself as I need my head today and already it feels like soup. Good luck with your day everyone.

MawBroon Fri 13-Oct-17 06:49:17

Morning at last! But I must get another 20 mins

Marydoll Fri 13-Oct-17 07:08:26

Maw what a hard night you have had. I always feel sorry for myself after a sleepless night and I was this morning. When I read how bad other GN's night was, I am ashamed.
We have GD again today and all day overnight tomorrow, unavoidable and I'm dreading it as I'm so tired. I've had a blinding headache and heating is still not working properly. Oh Joy!
I will have to stop going on GN late at night, as my dreams were full of Gransnetters, all names , no faces. confused

MawBroon Fri 13-Oct-17 07:55:37

Made it till 7.25 ☹️