Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do so many Young girls talk with a croak in their voices.

(51 Posts)
Lilypops Thu 19-Oct-17 17:08:19

Listening to young girls /women on television lately, why do they all talk with a croak in their voices at the end of each sentence,and drop their voice lower, Is it an Americanism

BlueBelle Thu 19-Oct-17 17:09:15

Gosh I ve never noticed that will have to keep my ears open in future

SueDonim Thu 19-Oct-17 17:41:49

It's called vocal fry and seems to have arisen in the US.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_fry_register

Alima Thu 19-Oct-17 17:52:33

I first noticed this about 10 years ago when a young graduate joined our office, the way she spoke fascinated me. Since then it seems to have become an epidemic. Anyone remember when Neighbours started about 30 years ago and so many people seemed to be aping the Aussie accent and finishing each utterance with a question-mark-like upward lilt?

GracesGranMK2 Thu 19-Oct-17 18:01:52

The Aussie thing is hard not to catch. I'm sure I do it a little after a phone call with my DiL and GCs. It sounds very positive in some way.

I can't imagine what the fry thing is and it is not supported on my computer for some reason. I wondered if there had been and epidemic of low thyroid as that can affect your throat grin

BlueBelle Thu 19-Oct-17 18:13:44

Goodness I m ignorant no idea what a vocal fry is or if I ve ever heard it has anyone got a link to hearing it ? I m really curios at what I ve missed

merlotgran Thu 19-Oct-17 18:30:31

My teenage DGDs don't do it but I'm going to listen out now.

Not sure I know what I'm listening out for though grin

Is it like vomit voice singing?

SueDonim Thu 19-Oct-17 18:41:10

Try this YouTube clip. My DiL speaks with vf because she's a Californian valley girl. grin

m.youtube.com/watch?v=E_h_VC_NXek

SueDonim Thu 19-Oct-17 18:43:41

Just to add a rider that if you don't like peering at the inside of bodies, don't watch all the clip I posted, just the first 30/40 seconds!

Jalima1108 Thu 19-Oct-17 18:44:06

I think I may have picked up the Australian upward inflection GGMK2

Perhaps they think that this 'vocal fry' sounds sexy.

Faye Thu 19-Oct-17 19:50:32

I wish I hadn't read this post now I will notice the upward inflection all the time. sad

I haven't noticed the American vocal fry but the children in Australia are starting to use American words all the time. Words such as candy for lollies, cookies for biscuits, they go to the movies. My grandchildren sometimes use American accents and GS both 9 were playing a game recently where they lived in a homeless shelter (under the trampoline) an hour or so later I walked past and they told me they went to Las Vegas and won a "million bucks" and bought themselves a house. Weird GC but now they are becoming weird Americanised GC. hmm

BlueBelle Fri 20-Oct-17 15:46:33

I haven’t heard anyone over here doing it after listening to the utube I just thought that was the way American women talked but never noticed anyone else... none of my teenagers or their friends talk like that are there any examples of Brits doing it ?? The NZ/Aussie up at the end of the sentence is irritating as a Judge Judy says ‘ are you asking me?’

shysal Fri 20-Oct-17 16:24:59

I had noticed young Americans using it on TV. My natural voice is quite low, but don't know how they add the rasp, I just tried and failed. Maybe it would be easier if I was a smoker. I was once called 'Sir' on the phone!

Katek Fri 20-Oct-17 16:37:15

I think I might have vocal fry as a result of years of using asthma inhalers!! Don't have a rising inflection though.

Bellanonna Fri 20-Oct-17 16:49:07

Oh, I’ve noticed that rasp but thought it was just their natural voice. I’m obviously very trendy because I speak that way too, although I’m very much hoping that when I’m bug free (and it’s taking ages) that the rasp will go too.

Faye , do your GC call it “Los Vegas”? That seems to be what Americans call it.

Atqui Fri 20-Oct-17 17:22:22

The 'high rising terminal' is not just an Ausralian trait. When I moved to Devon 40 years ago I was surprised that most sentences where spoken as a question by the locals. Or had they all been watching Neighbours?

watermeadow Fri 20-Oct-17 20:39:25

Nick Robinson on the Today programme has it badly, along with his Estuary English accent.

Chewbacca Fri 20-Oct-17 20:45:04

Nick Robinson is lucky he can speak at all watermeadow. His vocal corder was badly damaged whilst he was having surgery to remove the tumour from his lung.

BBbevan Fri 20-Oct-17 20:47:32

I think I asked this question on a thread some time ago. I find this way of speaking really irritating and affected. Why 'fry'.? Does anyone know?

Elrel Fri 20-Oct-17 21:48:05

I hadn't noticed it, must listen more carefully!

BlueBelle Fri 20-Oct-17 22:39:21

You’re not alone Elred I ve never noticed it either can anyone point out a British person who does this so I can listen

Lilypops Fri 20-Oct-17 23:36:04

There was a Young girl student on the Chase this week that croaked the last word of every sentence, seems to be a bit of a student affectism ,

SueDonim Sat 21-Oct-17 00:55:01

My best guess is that it's called fry because it's caused by air bubbling through the vocal chords rather like the bubbles that pop when when you're frying something.

It's not as annoying as that little girl voice that grown women use!

BlueBelle Sat 21-Oct-17 06:58:31

I still can’t imagine having heard people talking with air bubbles in their throat haha I must keep hunting

Grampie Sat 21-Oct-17 08:32:14

Dunno about that.

But a frog in my throat is still is hanging on after six weeks!