Gransnet forums

Chat

Your first kitchen - Three essential items.

(49 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 01-Nov-17 10:03:45

DD and I went to see Nigella Lawson at a book signing/chat thingy last night. Most of her half hour talk went in one ear etc., etc., because charming though she is, at our age we've got all the T shirts but I was pleased to see so many young couples there.

During the Q&A quite a few young men asked for advice on equipping the tiny kitchens in their flats. Blimey, I thought......In my day the blokes I hung out with would only be interested in queueing up to ask for advice on soup.... in terms of souping up their cars!!

Nigella's advice was to focus on three essential items - Good knives, (counts as one item) a stick blender and an efficient grater that can deal with lemon zest.

It got me thinking back to my first kitchen in our rented cottage. It was probably palatial by today's standards but I definitely had a couple of good knives, an electric hand whisk (stick blender came later) and a decent set of saucepans.

I've just bought DGS1 a toaster for his first flat!!

What were your three essential items then and what would you advise today?

Teetime Wed 01-Nov-17 10:09:11

I would echo good knives always, a good chopping board and good saucepans - probably a nice casserole that you can cook something that will last a couple of days.

eazybee Wed 01-Nov-17 10:15:41

A good knife, decent sized bowl and decent saucepan with lid. Oh, and a long-handled wooden spoon to protect the good saucepan.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 10:39:32

Good knives, a stick blender and an efficient grater that can deal with lemon zest

grin Nigella - however did you manage without saucepans?

Good knives, saucepans and a kettle.
(and a wooden spoon)
(and a mixing bowl)
(and a casserole dish)

sorry, getting carried away now!

Greyduster Wed 01-Nov-17 10:49:41

I would be hard pressed to narrow it down to three. Certainly a set of good S/S saucepans, a large sauté pan with a lid that can go from the hob to the oven, and my hand mixer (can’t get on with a stick blender), without which I would sink without trace!

Greyduster Wed 01-Nov-17 10:51:16

Oh! And a pair of good heat resistant oven gloves. I’ve had a pair for some years and they are great. My son liked them so much I bought him some.

JackyB Wed 01-Nov-17 10:54:23

A pressure cooker.
Knives.
At the time, the best bet for kitchen gadgets was Moulinex. Most of them so simple but effective with no more than an 'on' and an 'off' switch..

A good basic cookery book such as Good Housekeeping.

merlotgran Wed 01-Nov-17 11:01:33

Nigella didn't recommend any books because they were all clutching a copy of her latest. grin

She did suggest visiting car boot sales in the hopes of picking up some Le Creuset. Nobody mentioned that if you can't afford the real thing there are some perfectly affordable imitations in just about every supermarket. grin

Menopaws Wed 01-Nov-17 11:26:09

Knife, saucepan ,large mixing bowl

Imperfect27 Wed 01-Nov-17 12:13:07

Definitely a good knife, a saucepan and a toaster!

humptydumpty Wed 01-Nov-17 12:54:05

Don't know where this book signing was, but in London these days they are building new flats that don't have a cooker or hob, only a combi microwave! so I reckon Nigella's list would be good in those circumstances though you'd still need something to cook in, maybe she was thinking only of utensils, not pots and pans?

matson Wed 01-Nov-17 12:58:32

Kettle, fridge,cups !!

merlotgran Wed 01-Nov-17 13:36:26

She was talking about utensils, humpty.

She's a big fan of the hachoir/mezzaluna as well because she reckons you're unlikely to cut yourself while chopping herbs.

I read somewhere that Kirstie Alsopp reckons you can't have too many pan drawers in a kitchen. Nigella hates them and reckons you're better of having things hanging so you can bash your head on them just grab them.

As the comedian Harry Hill would say, 'There's only one way to find out..........FIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!' grin

merlotgran Wed 01-Nov-17 13:37:52

It was in Ely cathedral btw.

humptydumpty Wed 01-Nov-17 14:34:48

Ah merlotgran - lovely nostalgic reminder of Harry Hill smile

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 14:59:22

Le Creuset are all well and good for young men just starting to equip their kitchens.

However, for their elderly grandmothers they are wrist-wrecking.

ps Greyduster DD just bought an extended set of saucepans with steamer, saute pan etc. So that could count as one!

Day6 Wed 01-Nov-17 15:02:04

Kettle
Tea bag container
Fridge (for milk for tea.)

( I am assuming there will be an old mug or receptacle somewhere in order to make and drink the tea.)

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 15:07:21

Are we to assume that there is a fridge/freezer, an oven and a hob plus a sink already installed in this kitchen?

At least two good chopping boards (not ceramic, that would blunt the knives).

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 15:08:04

Tea? there'll be no time for tea in this kitchen shock

Although a wine glass could come in handy wink

paddyann Wed 01-Nov-17 15:15:13

knives ,a blender,I'm still using a moulinex that was a wedding present 42 years ago and a slow cooker so you can have food ready fro when you get home from work

Greyduster Wed 01-Nov-17 15:43:27

A corkscrew then, jalima!

Day6 Wed 01-Nov-17 16:07:41

I think lack of a corkscrew can lead to serious psychological problems wink

Thank goodness for screw topped bottles of wine now, but not so many years ago, knowing I had a weekend on my own I decided I'd treat myself to a nice bottle wine to have on Saturday night. It had a cork stopper.

I hunted high and low for the corkscrew but couldn't find it. I turned out ever kitchen drawer. I was exasperated and so cross.

All hot and bothered, I jumped in the car and by now it was about 9pm, nipped to the nearest Tesco, straight to the utensils section and purchased their cheapest value corkscrew with a sigh of relief. This was in the days before self-checkout as well.

The place was almost empty except for this middle aged lady at the till buying a cheap corkscrew. grin

Tarnished reputation. I could feel eyes on me at that moment. wink It took some of the joy out of drinking the wine as well. smile

Sorry for derail of thread.

merlotgran Wed 01-Nov-17 16:25:48

We have been known to fashion an instrument of torture looking corkscrew out of a wire coat hanger whilst on holiday.

Needs must.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:22:35

DH managed to hack one out once with a screwdriver, bits went down into the wine, but it was fine once we found a sieve!

granma47 Wed 01-Nov-17 18:42:00

A lancashire potato peeler