Gransnet forums

Chat

Your first kitchen - Three essential items.

(50 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 01-Nov-17 10:03:45

DD and I went to see Nigella Lawson at a book signing/chat thingy last night. Most of her half hour talk went in one ear etc., etc., because charming though she is, at our age we've got all the T shirts but I was pleased to see so many young couples there.

During the Q&A quite a few young men asked for advice on equipping the tiny kitchens in their flats. Blimey, I thought......In my day the blokes I hung out with would only be interested in queueing up to ask for advice on soup.... in terms of souping up their cars!!

Nigella's advice was to focus on three essential items - Good knives, (counts as one item) a stick blender and an efficient grater that can deal with lemon zest.

It got me thinking back to my first kitchen in our rented cottage. It was probably palatial by today's standards but I definitely had a couple of good knives, an electric hand whisk (stick blender came later) and a decent set of saucepans.

I've just bought DGS1 a toaster for his first flat!!

What were your three essential items then and what would you advise today?

lemongrove Wed 01-Nov-17 18:47:21

A good vegetable knife, a heavy casserole dish (Le Cruset or similar) and a good frying pan.
If allowed more than 3, then: a set of non stick saucepans,
A breadboard/knife and chopping board.

Christinefrance Wed 01-Nov-17 21:11:24

A chef
A cleaner

Chewbacca Wed 01-Nov-17 21:24:02

Knives, pans and a stainless steel slotted spoon.

merlotgran Wed 01-Nov-17 21:31:03

That's only two, Christinefrance

Don't hold back. grin

Cherrytree59 Wed 01-Nov-17 21:45:51

Well when we were married in the early eighties Pyrex wasn't obviously what every kitchen required.
Had several sets as wedding presents.
When we had a new kitchen last year I discovered several stray pyrex lids lurking at the back of the cupboards confused

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:06:13

I wonder if they would fit my dishes Cherrytree - I seem to have bottoms and no tops iyswim.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:07:59

I have got a heavy French casserole pot but I can scarcely lift it when it's empty, let alone when it is full of boeuf bourguignon.

BBbevan Thu 02-Nov-17 03:16:15

There was nothing in my first kitchen except a sink. So I needed a stove, Burco boiler for the nappies and a table and chairs. ( we had been living with my parents for 2 years to save up )
Now I would say , knives, good cooking utensils and a microwave.

Cherrytree59 Thu 02-Nov-17 11:05:23

Should have read 'pyrex was' not wasn't!!
Jalima sorry lids have now gone to the great recycler in the sky smile

humptydumpty Thu 02-Nov-17 11:57:58

Slight diversion here but brought it to mind - I really want a casserole or frying pan that can be used on the stove and in the oven - and that I can lift! Is Le Creuset the best source for this?

Jalima1108 Thu 02-Nov-17 14:45:59

Cherrytree59 still hanging on to the Pyrex bottoms! One was part of a wedding present and survived falling out of the car and landing in the gutter when we arrived at our first flat (over 50 years ago).

Hipsy Thu 02-Nov-17 14:54:14

A bottle opener,ice cube tray and swizzle stickblush

loopyloo Thu 02-Nov-17 14:59:52

Microwave, fork and rubbish bin.

Christinefrance Thu 02-Nov-17 17:27:45

Ok merlotgran I'll have Lord M to serve me as well grin

jeanie99 Sat 04-Nov-17 11:27:47

I guess it depends some might say a good tin-opener a bowl and a microwave. LOL

Gagagran Sat 04-Nov-17 11:57:48

Speaking of pyrex we had 17 pyrex casseroles for wedding presents but no pans. I shot off to the indoor market when we got back from our week's honeymoon and bought a pan for £3. Needless to say this was in the days before wedding present lists - you got what you got and tried to be grateful! (We also got 5 cut glass posy vases!).

Galen Sat 04-Nov-17 12:34:55

Husband who can cook
Something to cook on
Something to cook

merlotgran Sat 04-Nov-17 13:09:58

DH bought me a set of enamel saucepans for our first Christmas together. Those 1970s ones with bright orange lids and a brown pattern around the bottom. My friends thought I should have been outraged but I couldn't have been more delighted and couldn't wait to try them out on Christmas Day. thlsmile

merlotgran Sat 04-Nov-17 13:11:18

We got loads of pyrex for wedding presents as well. I still have one dish left even though the lid is long gone. It's a perfect size for Shepherd's Pie for two.

Menopaws Sat 04-Nov-17 14:29:54

Surely a sommelier Christine?

Christinefrance Sat 04-Nov-17 16:26:45

I like your thinking Menopaws can I cheat and have 4 things ?

merlotgran Sat 04-Nov-17 17:03:43

I'm not sure I'd be able to concentrate on the food if Lord M was serving it. blush

glammanana Sat 04-Nov-17 17:17:48

Oven to table casserole dish with lid which can be used as a pie dish.
Set of good knives
Good thick chopping block.

Norah Sat 04-Nov-17 17:55:37

Good knives
Good heavy ss pans with lids, oven proof handles (hob and oven)
Set of glass bowls with lids (mix, cook, refrigerate leftovers)