Gransnet forums

Chat

'Fashion' hates

(142 Posts)
sandelf Sat 11-Nov-17 17:35:32

How is it 90% of people have been suckered into wearing tight blue cotton leg coverings... Jeans, jeggings - whatever you call 'em - cold and unflattering on everybody. I really do not want to see the absolute outline of anyone in public. I wear windproof craghoppers most of the time when others would choose jeans. And leggings are next thing to underwear - OK at home with close family or in a gym. As for the leg coverings with deliberate rips - don't get me started.

Mapleleaf Sun 12-Nov-17 09:02:25

Everyone to their own, I suppose. I wear jeans most of the time - slim fit. I like leggings on other people if they are worn in a non revealing way, but I've tried them on me and I look like a stick insect!?
Craghoppers (or equivalent brands) are great for going out walking in.
I, too, am not a fan of jeans, jumpers and boots with deliberate big holes in them- can't see the point, and I hate being cold. Still, it's fashion, I suppose, and as I say, each to their own.

Yorkshiregirl Sun 12-Nov-17 09:11:24

Just your opinion. I love my good quality legging, jeggings and slim fit jeans. I do however wear them with a long top or tunic. I certainly wouldn't wear Cragghoppers. Im 61, wear makeup most days ( current hiding my baldness from chemo with fabulous head gear), and take pride in my appearance. People always comment on how nice I dress.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 12-Nov-17 09:23:42

I can' think' a person with the backside of a rhino looks laughable grinin skin tight jeans but it ends there.
To each his own.

Sheilasue Sun 12-Nov-17 09:26:10

I have just bought my first pair of leggings ever from M&S they hold you up and in very flattering, lovely and warm now the weather is colder and I am thinking of getting another pair only like the black ones. Very comfortable to wear look great with my ankle boots too.

sandelf Sun 12-Nov-17 09:41:51

Interesting to see everyone's opinions. Never heard of fur lined leggings - there is a world out there I must find out about. Seems most of us would stop short of leggings with a short top.

Tessa101 Sun 12-Nov-17 09:57:30

Another vote for skinny jeans, leggings and thick tights. Had no idea what craghoppers were had to google also, not very flattering.

Teetime Sun 12-Nov-17 09:58:26

Its the ripped jeans that start DH and I off especially on my lovely 18 year old nephew who always used to look both trendy and smart. The other day I saw a woman who was very overweight in ripped jeans on the front and back of her legs. Large pieces of flesh poked through the jeans in rolls.

blue60 Sun 12-Nov-17 10:02:46

Love my skinny jeans and leggings. They are stretchy and comfortable and I wear them under tunics.

Each to his/her own.

loopylou Sun 12-Nov-17 10:06:45

I love my jeggings, skinny jeans and slim leg ones too!
I wear them with longer tops, particularly men's fine merino or cashmere jumpers bought over-sized on eBay - very warm and look good IMO (and I get compliments!)
I rarely wear leggings and I don't like baggy trousers at all (my walking trousers are slim and stretchy, not the voluminous baggy ones I gave to the charity shop)

Bellasnana Sun 12-Nov-17 10:15:42

I'm another fan of leggings, Primark do fleecy lined ones for £7 and they are so cosy. I do think long tops are more flattering, whatever your size and shape, but believe we should wear whatever we are comfortable in.

I've also no idea what crag hoppers are confused

adaunas Sun 12-Nov-17 10:17:24

Warm, close fitting jeggings especially under a long top, whether it's fashionable or not. Yes. Never these. Would anyone really wear them?

Alima Sun 12-Nov-17 10:23:40

There always have been fashion victims, probably always will be. Thankfully that is one thing I cannot be accused of.
Craghoppers is a clothing firm, they do travel/walking stuff. Their trousers are often like the cargo trousers fashionable a few years ago. Used to love them, nice and light in the summer. Be a bit cold at the moment.

pollyperkins Sun 12-Nov-17 10:24:18

Craghoppers are comfortable practical walking trousers. I have some for hiking but would not wear them
for anything else. Mostly I wear jeans or cords this time of year, but not tight ones. I did buy some leggings but my H and other friends fell about laughing when I wore them. When I looked in the mirror I could see why. I am not all that tall and on the tubby side. They looked appalling like Max Wall with a cushion up his jumper.

Grandson2008 Sun 12-Nov-17 10:34:40

I love my jeggings I have different tops and feel good in them very comfortable. Don't like these ripped jeans and some are just like rags. It is difficult what to wear when you are 61 don't want to be mutton dressed as lamb but don't want to be old either. So thank goodness somebody thought of jeggings tunics etc

MissAdventure Sun 12-Nov-17 10:38:11

I don't like the 'sprayed on' looking, really skinny jeans.

marpau Sun 12-Nov-17 10:56:14

Grasshoppers are fine for hiking and walking but not for everyday it's like wearing gym wear for a trip to tesco

marpau Sun 12-Nov-17 10:57:29

Craghoppers!!!

Ufton123 Sun 12-Nov-17 11:08:09

I have just purchased fleecy footless leggings, have worn them once with a long top (family do) and once To the cinema with a knee length skirt. Felt more comfortable without skirt, had to keep feeling to see if it was caught up in my knickers after visiting the loo. I’m 74 next month so have decided I can wear what I like, just look the other way when I pass by.

NonnaW Sun 12-Nov-17 11:18:09

I live in slim fit or skinny jeans, so practical for wearing with boots. I also have a couple of pairs of leggings to wear with tunic type tops. While I still have a reasonable Figure I am happy to not cover up completely. I feel frumpy in baggy clothes. I even have a pair of denim shorts with rips in!

Yorkshiregirl Sun 12-Nov-17 11:19:13

If worn correctly they look fabulous! Not great with sort tops though.

Legs55 Sun 12-Nov-17 11:22:53

I love my skinny jeans & jeggings worn with a long jumper, I'm only 62, not as slim as I used to beblush but still got good legsgrin

No to ripped jeans, I didn't wear them 1st time round.

Think the worst I've seen is young women, very overweight in spray on legginshmm

mostlyharmless Sun 12-Nov-17 11:26:57

I live in jeggings and long jumpers in the winter too. Comfortable, warm and covers a multitude of sins.
My husband lives in Craghoppers! Craghoppers are very practical but far too baggy to be flattering for me.

RosieMeltzer Sun 12-Nov-17 11:31:08

I’m definitely still on this planet but I have often thought that ladies, of any age, are showing their outlines unnecessarily when they wear jeggings. Good Sandelf, you’ve made my day! ?

Bathsheba Sun 12-Nov-17 11:38:17

Well if I had an outline worth showing, I would definitely wear leggings. Be proud!

Apricity Sun 12-Nov-17 11:50:10

There are obviously lots of us wearing slim fit jeans and boots with a tunic length top to cover the bulgy bits. I find it a really comfortable and practical outfit. Used to wear skirts when I was working but not now. Jeans are very practical when playing on the floor with the grandchildren. No child wants to see Granny's knickers, even accidentally.