Gransnet forums

Chat

'Fashion' hates

(142 Posts)
sandelf Sat 11-Nov-17 17:35:32

How is it 90% of people have been suckered into wearing tight blue cotton leg coverings... Jeans, jeggings - whatever you call 'em - cold and unflattering on everybody. I really do not want to see the absolute outline of anyone in public. I wear windproof craghoppers most of the time when others would choose jeans. And leggings are next thing to underwear - OK at home with close family or in a gym. As for the leg coverings with deliberate rips - don't get me started.

NanKate Tue 14-Nov-17 21:06:15

I didn't know the craze for wearing scarves has passed because I wear a variety of scarves, my favourites being made of soft velvet in lovely colours. Am I a fashion victim ??

Bathsheba Tue 14-Nov-17 21:41:07

I didn't know that either NanKate. I didn't even know it was a 'craze', always thought it was a stylish way of dressing confused. Oh well I shall carry on wearing my scarves, as I haven't read anywhere or heard anyone else say that this is now passé.

Tegan2 Tue 14-Nov-17 21:42:40

Carol1954. I bet my legs are as robust as yours [and ditto to being, overall, quite small].Once described as 'good strong walking legs' by a complete stranger when I was a lot younger and slimmer than I am now, I am like a person of two halves. However, I live in leggings and tunics, but try to make sure the tunic is quite chunky round the neck, and I wear Ugg boots that [hopefully] make my calves look slimmer than they actually are.

Willow500 Tue 14-Nov-17 21:44:59

I've had my fur lined leggings on today with a long polo neck top - they're from Primark and really are warm. I think I have a pair of tights in similar stuff and I've also discovered some similar socks which I've also had on - sitting in front of the pc all day I've still been cold though so gave in and got my slanket out wink

mostlyharmless Tue 14-Nov-17 22:07:10

I'd never heard of fur-lined leggings before this thread. It makes me feel itchy even thinking about them!

Jalima1108 Tue 14-Nov-17 22:57:35

The craze for wearing scarves all the time has passed
Really?
Perhaps my friends, acquaintances and I are all unfashionable; living in the sticks the fashion fads in London pass us by.

I've been wearing scarves since I was tiny - in my very young days they were long, woolly ones which went round your neck, crossed over your chest and got pinned at the back with a large safety pin to keep you warm.
Now I thought I was wearing them in a more stylish way but obviously not grin

Marydoll Tue 14-Nov-17 23:06:09

Can anyone suggest to do with the dozens of " unfashionable" scarves I have amassed? I thought I was so trendy.

Jalima1108 Tue 14-Nov-17 23:09:03

I bought two new ones a few weeks ago, to go with two new jumpers which have rather wide necks

Perhaps I should turn them into leggings/jeggings hmm

Marydoll Tue 14-Nov-17 23:11:55

Depends how long they are. You may be able to fashion a pair of multicoloured Craghoppers from them..

Jalima1108 Tue 14-Nov-17 23:14:00

I have so many scarves I could have Craghoppers with multi-coloured pockets all over them.

I also have pashminas - very passé!

Marydoll Tue 14-Nov-17 23:14:45

Oh no! Don't tell me that!!!?

Jalima1108 Tue 14-Nov-17 23:15:17

I am working it out as I type; I could sew up the sides of the pashminas to make two legs and attach them to some nice fur-lined knickers

Marydoll Tue 14-Nov-17 23:16:02

?

Marydoll Tue 14-Nov-17 23:16:35

We could start a new trend!

Bellanonna Wed 15-Nov-17 00:36:11

Fur-lined knickers? Now there’s a thought. As for scarves well I am clearly with the rest of you untrendies, as I wear them all the time. Well, most of the time. Nobody had warned me that they had gone out of fashion. Not that it would bother me as I like them and I won’t be turning them into Craghoppers. I still have a pair of those from my walking days but I don’t think I’ll be doing any “proper” walking again, alas.

Caro1954 Wed 15-Nov-17 13:43:11

Thankyou Tegan2! Ok, I am going to order some “slim” jeans and try to summon up the courage to wear them ...

Mapleleaf Wed 15-Nov-17 14:05:21

Sorry, but who has said that wearing scarves is a phase that's now passed? I frequently wear them and will continue to do so. They finish off an outfit and keep me warm. Still see lots of them in the shops, too!

loopylou Fri 01-Dec-17 12:00:20

I do wonder how the fashion designers' minds work ?
Open shoulder woolly jumpers, three quarters sleeved coats, boots with the toes cut out, clothes sized for the seriously thin yet go up to plus sizes (how can one shape suit everyone?) and so on.
I'd love to find well designed clothes in good fabrics at a price I can afford and don't get me going on M&S! ??

silverlining48 Fri 01-Dec-17 14:25:43

Never thought i would but I bought my very first pair of jeggins/ leggings yesterday. Need to find skimming tops to cover the generously proportioned derierre, they are snug and comfy.

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Dec-17 14:45:19

loopylou DH's theory is that designers use those extremely thin models and design clothes with them in mind because they are simply too lazy and/or incompetent to tailor clothes that fit normally shaped women properly.

NotTooOld Fri 01-Dec-17 15:09:24

Another one here for jeggings and boots. Leggings, too, but only under a dress or to put on in the evening if at home. I think women's clothes today are absolutely brilliant. When I think what my poor mother had to wear - corsets, directoire knickers, suspenders, stockings, costumes (remember those?), twin sets and so on. She changed as time went on, of course, but she never enjoyed the freedom to wear comfortable clothes like jeggings and leggings and the stretchy fabrics that we can buy (and cheaply) today.

varian Fri 01-Dec-17 15:14:13

I think one of the most ridiculous fashions is the nonsense of ripped jeans which I first noticed in the 1980s. What's the point? Is it about folk who are not poor trying to look poor? Aparently these silly jeans are bought ready ripped and can be quite expensive.

I hate to say it but I think this fashion is likely to last a bit longer now that Meghan Markle has been spotted wearing them. You would think a 36 year old woman aspiring to be a role model would have more sense.

NotTooOld Fri 01-Dec-17 15:34:37

I have a lot more fashion 'likes' than 'hates'. I really like the trend for comfortable shoes, for example. I had to wait quite a while for a train recently and I noticed how few women now wear high heels. Most of my fellow passengers, young and old, were wearing trainers or trainer type shoes, flat boots or plimsoles (pumps). And a jolly good thing, too.

annodomini Fri 01-Dec-17 15:57:24

I don't like the look of 'ankle-grazers' which, to my mind, make an outfit look unfinished. And I wouldn't want my ankles to be left feeling cold! I have only recently worked out how to arrange a scarf without making it look like a piece of chewed string, so I'm not giving them up any time soon! As for ripped jeans - I daren't tell my teenage GD what I think of them. And why do I see young (and maybe not so young) women wearing cropped tops, short shorts with Ugg boots? Usually with very white English legs.

NotTooOld Fri 01-Dec-17 16:02:26

Ooh, yes, cropped tops and shorts with Ugg boots. There won't be many of those at the Royal Wedding, probably. I don't like to see women walking around in wide trousers that drag on the floor, especially if the trouser bottoms are frayed and bits of fabric are hanging off.