Gransnet forums

Chat

Ear-splitting sneezing!

(117 Posts)
Witzend Mon 27-Nov-17 14:22:26

My Dh has just done it yet again - he 'voices' his sneezes so that they come out as an almighty yell - and he just did it for the millionth time, right behind me and really made me jump.

I know it's a very minor moan in the great scheme of things, but WHY does he have to do it? I've told him it's just an attention-seeking habit - I'm just surprised that his parents, who were pretty strict, never jumped on it hard.

He once did it right by a very new and tiny dd and terrified her - he felt awful, she cried so hard - but even that didn't stop him.
OK, moan over - I feel better now!

Iam64 Mon 27-Nov-17 14:25:10

Oh we could start a support group Witzend.

Jalima1108 Mon 27-Nov-17 14:31:08

That, and the noisy teeth cleaning
hmm

cornergran Mon 27-Nov-17 14:39:09

Can I join the suport group? Mr C sneezes in the same way. A gender issues maybe? Any case he has a cold, need I say more? I worry for the sanity of anyone within half a mile.

Witzend Mon 27-Nov-17 14:56:22

I suppose it's all part of the usual thing of blokes making a massive fuss about having a cold. Dh has one at the moment - not a bad one at all, at least not what I'd call bad (i.e. all bunged up, unable to taste or smell anything and and using 189 tissues a day) but boy, does he go on about it!

I shouldn't moan, he's so good in many ways, but the sneeze thing is SO irritating - I honestly sometimes think he does it on purpose to annoy me!

MissAdventure Mon 27-Nov-17 15:19:53

It really, really annoys me when people sneeze loudly. Its irrational, I know, but I get furious.

ninathenana Mon 27-Nov-17 15:29:21

I'll join you all.
H's are a very loud
BOOOSHOOO !!!

Jane10 Mon 27-Nov-17 15:36:11

Oh God yes!! The irritating cough and catastrophic sneezing as well as the apparent need to slurp hot drinks noisily as they're 'too hot'. Waiting till they've cooled down enough has never occurred (despite reminders).
Well at least he doesn't sniff.

tanith Mon 27-Nov-17 15:56:48

My next door neighbour does it too, I never hear anything else from next door just his sneeze.

moomin Mon 27-Nov-17 16:00:30

I’m joining the support group as well. DH could act as a bird scarer his sneezes are so loud, one day I may just collapse from shock. The other similar habit is clearing his throat with a word, makes him sound as if he has Tourette syndrome. Apart from these irritating noises he is perfect ?

MissAdventure Mon 27-Nov-17 16:10:42

My first instinct is to lash out at the source of such a loud, unexpected noise

gillyknits Mon 27-Nov-17 16:15:21

Oh yes!! I totally agree that this support group is necessary. My DH sneezes actually hurt my ears.( Something to do with the decibel level). He says that I exaggerate and thinks it’s funny. Grrr!

Willow500 Mon 27-Nov-17 16:25:01

I thought it was just mine!

silverlining48 Mon 27-Nov-17 16:37:21

Let me join this club too please. It makes me jump every time. Absolutely no Need for it.

NannyTee Mon 27-Nov-17 16:42:02

Oh my I am so relieved. I jump through the roof everytime my DH sneezes. He makes baby Gchildren scream with fright. Why do they do it? I too thought I was alone in this x

Wheniwasyourage Mon 27-Nov-17 17:17:29

Me too please. What a relief to find that it's not just my DH who does it!

NannyTee Mon 27-Nov-17 17:30:54

And don't get me started on the man flu!!hmm

silversurf Mon 27-Nov-17 18:21:39

I too (female) sneeze like this, not just once but in a fusillade, at least half a dozen times. I can’t help it and it isn’t attention seeking as I do it even when I’m on my own. Makes me jump and frightens the cat.

MissAdventure Mon 27-Nov-17 18:43:19

grin

Chewbacca Mon 27-Nov-17 18:49:32

I work in a busy open plan office and I have a male colleague who suddenly stands up, throws his head back and emits a loud gutterall shriek when he sneezes! One sneeze would be alarming enough, but he frequently emits a volley of them, one after the other. It quite literally stops everyone from doing whatever they're doing and can usually be heard by the person who's on the other end of any phone call you're in the middle of. He says he can't help it. hmm

Iam64 Mon 27-Nov-17 18:53:01

He who shares the home with me has had a sneezing fit. I've furnished him with antibacterial wipes for the door handles he's touched and provided a (biodegradable ) plastic bag along with paper tissues to stow in it. I could get cross but what\s the point. He's only known for 20 plus years that I'm immune suppressed!

M0nica Mon 27-Nov-17 19:07:58

Can I join please? I have a DH with very noisy sneezes - and they always sound very wet, so you expect to see stuff flying everywhere - but actually they are not particularly.

Maranta Mon 27-Nov-17 19:12:00

My 97 year old father does this. I've tried telling him that you don't need to use your vocal cords when you sneeze but he doesn't believe me. Still I won't change him now!

Witzend Mon 27-Nov-17 19:15:40

I don't understand anyone saying they can't help it. All you have to do is not 'voice' it! Try coughing with or without your voice - it's easy enough to see the difference - and turn it off!

Maranta Mon 27-Nov-17 19:26:38

I so agree Witzend!