Gransnet forums

Chat

Ear-splitting sneezing!

(118 Posts)
Witzend Mon 27-Nov-17 14:22:26

My Dh has just done it yet again - he 'voices' his sneezes so that they come out as an almighty yell - and he just did it for the millionth time, right behind me and really made me jump.

I know it's a very minor moan in the great scheme of things, but WHY does he have to do it? I've told him it's just an attention-seeking habit - I'm just surprised that his parents, who were pretty strict, never jumped on it hard.

He once did it right by a very new and tiny dd and terrified her - he felt awful, she cried so hard - but even that didn't stop him.
OK, moan over - I feel better now!

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 29-Nov-17 01:58:18

NannyTee I meant to say I think you're right about the nose hair. I remember reading a few years ago that as men get older they can grow more/longer nose hair and it's thought this could be the cause.

NannyTee Wed 29-Nov-17 06:13:56

Well that little device was the best gift I ever got him. Sneezes a lot less these days. Still doesn't quieten them though I'm afraid .

Saggi Wed 29-Nov-17 06:35:28

Witzend you are spot-on.... my husband is EXACTLY the same when he sneezes, he just has to make it an attention seeking opportunity. But I can go one further . Like a lot of over sixties,including me, he has to take 2 or 3 different pills in a day.But he has to be reminded EVERY day to take them. Blames me if I forget. When he takes them he cannot do it quietly.... even though they’re tiny little pills it’s ...ARGHHH, URGHH, ARGHH every bloody day ( sorry for the swear word) , honestly it’s like having another 5 year old and trying to get them to take their medicine!! Actually my 5 year old granddaughter has to take drugs , 3 a day which she does herself without any prompting from parents. 2 before school and 1 before bed, and that’s for life. How can I get my husband to be more responsible for his own health, I take more pills than him and nobody is there to remind d me!! Why are they so childish when it comes to illness!! Anybody out there know??

Witzend Thu 30-Nov-17 09:59:32

Well, Dh has added to his 'repertoire' - now adding the 'shout' element to every cough or throat-clear! I have long given up saying anything - he evidently gets some weird pleasure out of it - but now that I've caught his cold I was very tempted last night to do a lot of very 'shouty' coughs while he was watching his can't-miss Channel 4 News!

I didn't descend to such puerile tactics, but it might have been fun!

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Fri 01-Dec-17 00:35:46

Mine not only does loud sneezes but bangs his spoon/fork/knife down onto the bowl plate every time them takes a large intake of breath with every mouthful of food, I'm near the point of murder at mealtimes so much so I make an excuse to eat away from him.tchsad

JackyB Fri 01-Dec-17 12:13:35

Me too, TooYoung. I can't bear sitting at the breakfast table with him! (My DH, not yours)

maddy629 Fri 01-Dec-17 12:31:01

Pleased to hear that my husband is not the only one who does this, he sneezes so loud that it makes me jump sometimes. So, can I join the support group please.

lemongrove Fri 01-Dec-17 15:35:07

Tooyoungtobe do you think your DH has breathing problems, it’s not normal to have to do this, is he a ‘mouth breather’ anyway and it’s become a habit?

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Fri 01-Dec-17 23:17:20

Lemongrove the only breathing problem is that he still is! Nope it's habit and he's taken to chewing gum now and the noise even with mouth closed is making me think murderous thoughts angry. He drinks his drinks noisily, swallows twice with every mouthful of tea/coffee after sucking in air as he takes a swig I really am beginning to hate being near him at mealtimes. They say it's the small things that make up the thing that pushes you over the edge! According to my SIL his brother had similar annoying traits brew

Susie65 Sat 02-Dec-17 00:17:09

I thought it was just mine too! Please let me sign up I am starting to resent being startled, interrupted and woken up, not to mention cleaning up after him hmmwink

Synonymous Mon 04-Dec-17 16:11:06

Well I think I will sign up too although perhaps I am being unfair since I think DH was brought up to be noisy. I can vividly remember MIL sneezing violently 13 times every morning without fail so perhaps it is genetic? hmm grin

Flowerofthewest Tue 05-Dec-17 11:48:30

I'm afraid I do the same. It's a loud "WAAAHOOOO". Great satisfaction. Makes DH wake up.

MissAdventure Tue 05-Dec-17 11:50:15

grin

Flowerofthewest Tue 05-Dec-17 11:50:28

I can control it though. It's just such a release...much like an or***m wink

lemongrove Tue 05-Dec-17 12:06:20

Do we still have those at our advanced age Flower wink

Oh dear Tooyoungtobe that’s unfortunate for you!

MissAdventure Tue 05-Dec-17 12:16:11

Aha! So it's possible to control the sneeze, at least for some
I do the multiple sneeze thing, but it gets me really angry. Maybe it's because I 'squash' my sneezes up so they are just polite little squeaks?

Marmight Thu 07-Dec-17 09:41:10

I have a friend who sneezes sooo loudly it's as if an atomic explosion has taken place. It is so embarrassing that I can't go to the theatre or a concert with her any more . Mortified doesn't even cover it.
When my late DJ sneezed it took a good few minutes of contortions in the nose department with constant intakes of breath until, hallelujah, tbe sneeze finally came forth. You'd think the end of the world had come ........