Gransnet forums

Chat

Ear-splitting sneezing!

(118 Posts)
Witzend Mon 27-Nov-17 14:22:26

My Dh has just done it yet again - he 'voices' his sneezes so that they come out as an almighty yell - and he just did it for the millionth time, right behind me and really made me jump.

I know it's a very minor moan in the great scheme of things, but WHY does he have to do it? I've told him it's just an attention-seeking habit - I'm just surprised that his parents, who were pretty strict, never jumped on it hard.

He once did it right by a very new and tiny dd and terrified her - he felt awful, she cried so hard - but even that didn't stop him.
OK, moan over - I feel better now!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 28-Nov-17 15:56:09

I really should count my blessings! I don't know anyone who sneezes in the manner you all describe.

Actually, I am still trying to fathom what you mean. Are you really saying that apart from the actual sneeze, your better halves jump about yelling At shoo!?

I was told as a child that it is dangerous to repress a sneeze as you could actually burst an ear drum due to the pressure. However, pressing your tongue hard against the roof of your mouth should stop a sneeze, if you have to be very quiet.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 28-Nov-17 15:56:09

I really should count my blessings! I don't know anyone who sneezes in the manner you all describe.

Actually, I am still trying to fathom what you mean. Are you really saying that apart from the actual sneeze, your better halves jump about yelling At shoo!?

I was told as a child that it is dangerous to repress a sneeze as you could actually burst an ear drum due to the pressure. However, pressing your tongue hard against the roof of your mouth should stop a sneeze, if you have to be very quiet.

pollyperkins Tue 28-Nov-17 16:17:57

Well I dont actually boil them maggiemaybe- I'm exaggerating!. They go in the hot 90 degree wash with other things. And he does get through about 18 a week - more if he has a cold. My tissues go in the bin too but surely that's less hygienic, hanging around in a bin with germs on?!
Its the description of cloth ones as unhygienic that got to me!
And Grandtante it seems DH is vindicated - it really is dangerous to suppress a sneeze!
I find that pressing the end of my nose (the bit between the nostrils) with my finger can ward off a sneeze sometimes but it doesn't always work!

pollyperkins Tue 28-Nov-17 16:17:58

Well I dont actually boil them maggiemaybe- I'm exaggerating!. They go in the hot 90 degree wash with other things. And he does get through about 18 a week - more if he has a cold. My tissues go in the bin too but surely that's less hygienic, hanging around in a bin with germs on?!
Its the description of cloth ones as unhygienic that got to me!
And Grandtante it seems DH is vindicated - it really is dangerous to suppress a sneeze!
I find that pressing the end of my nose (the bit between the nostrils) with my finger can ward off a sneeze sometimes but it doesn't always work!

pollyperkins Tue 28-Nov-17 16:30:38

Ive no idea why that came up twice. Ive noticed it's been happening on other threads too. A problem with the site?

pollyperkins Tue 28-Nov-17 16:30:38

Ive no idea why that came up twice. Ive noticed it's been happening on other threads too. A problem with the site?

pollyperkins Tue 28-Nov-17 16:33:43

Definitely only pressed post once. Will try again, once!

pollyperkins Tue 28-Nov-17 16:33:43

Definitely only pressed post once. Will try again, once!

Overthehills Tue 28-Nov-17 17:27:04

Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter my DH’s sneezes come six at a time! Or more! PLEASE let me join!

moomin Tue 28-Nov-17 17:42:35

How about the blasting of the car horn into that fabric hankie eh? Amazing how it can be controlled to a normal blow I n certain circumstances, unfortunately not at home! ??

NannyTee Tue 28-Nov-17 17:51:45

I'm all for the achoo sneezes but my DHs are like microphone loud . Honest there was no consoling our baby Gds they were sobbing for hours because it scared them so much ... grrr

GrannyO Tue 28-Nov-17 17:51:48

Mine does that too, always has, but age seems to have made it worse. He sneezes 10 times at least and it drives me crazy

NannyTee Tue 28-Nov-17 17:55:30

Well I've discovered the nose hair trimmer . Men's nose hair gets too long and grows up into nasal cavity. My DH trims every few days and sneezes are getting fewer and fewer .. yayyy

Felix2007 Tue 28-Nov-17 18:16:46

My husband used to make a little, controlled noise when he sneezed, and I once said why don't you do a proper sneeze? I do wish I had kept quiet because now he lets it all out with a very loud shout at the same time! Makes me jump too and terrifies the cat.

Kyliemay Tue 28-Nov-17 18:44:25

This made me laugh. The times my late husband did this. I too use to say why do you use your vocal cords when you sneeze? He never did it when he was younger, think it must be an age related thing.

Sheian57 Tue 28-Nov-17 19:06:04

Yeo I would like to join too. I always tell DH off when he sneezes loud telling him there is no need. Strange though he can do it quietly when in church, so it is a choice to sneeze loudly when at home.

JackyB Tue 28-Nov-17 19:33:12

I'm afraid I'm one of those who sneezes loudly herself, like some others who have piped up here.

So I can't say anything if DH lets rip.

What does annoy me, though, is that he doesn't sneeze just the once, but at least 10 times in a row. Usually at breakfast.

Have been in fits about some of the sayings that these men come up with, and the involuntary kick which accompanies these sneezes. Gransnet can be so funny at times!

Ellie Anne Tue 28-Nov-17 19:44:52

It’s the apple eating noise that gets me. A bite then a slurpy noise.

HurdyGurdy Tue 28-Nov-17 21:18:31

I constantly ask my husband why he has to shout when he sneezes. He gives the poor-me "I can't help it" excuse. He knows it irritates me, and I know he can stop himself, because every time he does it, he then gives me a sly sideways look to see if I am reacting. I try my level best not to, but there's also a smug little smirk if I do.

To add insult to injury, he has now added a leg lift with a foot slap back onto the floor when he does it!!

This is a new addition to the repertoire and so help me - he CAN flipping well help it! I am sure it must be an acceptable defence to murder.

lemongrove Tue 28-Nov-17 22:11:51

tchgrin This is a wonderfully funny thread!
It’s made my day.
Have to fess up and say that I am a noisy sneezer too, and DH isn’t.

Suki70 Tue 28-Nov-17 23:15:57

DH just asked why I was laughing out loud as I read this thread so had to read him some of the posts. He thinks it's funny too so we'll see if it makes any difference to his loud sneezes. Can I add the deafening blowing of the nose following the sneeze?

adaunas Tue 28-Nov-17 23:22:46

Try recording it on your phone/ device. Sometimes they don't realise how loud it is and yes, sometimes they have got into such a habit they can't get out of it. I'm there with the wipes too Iam64.

Chewbacca Tue 28-Nov-17 23:27:22

My OH snores like a bison; deep, roaring, bed rumbling snores that passers by must be able to hear out on the street. So I lay in wait and recorded him on my phone. Next morning, I played it back to him and he denied it was him!

NannyTee Wed 29-Nov-17 01:06:50

I did the same Chewbacca and he got quite Cobby. Asked me if I had nothing better to do confused..... well sleep would be nice if only.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 29-Nov-17 01:50:46

My DH and Step-Dad do it too, but it's always at least 3 sneezes. Maybe it's an age thing because neither of them did it years ago. It's REALLY loud!