Gransnet forums

Chat

Going out in the evening

(106 Posts)
Teetime Sun 21-Jan-18 10:38:04

We went out yesterday evening for an anniversary dinner and I confess I would rather have had a meal at home. As the restaurant is within 15 mins walking distance that's what we did on an very icy night thinking the exercise is good for us and then DH can share a bottle of wine with me. The restaurant was crowded and noisy- the food was good but not excellent and I was exhausted by the time we got home.
I'm thinking now that is this a sign of ageing not wanting to go out in the evening- anyone else sharing this feeling with me?

Fennel Sun 21-Jan-18 16:35:41

We haven't been out in the evening for some time - cautious about driving at night.
But I do miss it. We used to go to Bridge Club which starts about 7pm and ends around midnight. After a light supper, slightly alcoholic! Daren't risk it.

Cherrytree59 Sun 21-Jan-18 16:54:59

Lunch for me or a meal at home with friends.
Hate the thought of leaving a lovely warm home to venture it in the cold and dark.

We enjoy going to friends house for a meal, but this winter its been mostly for lunch or an early meal (5ish).
I find this much more relaxing and often have game of cards or a just a nice chat with out the buzz of a restaurant.

DH has a trouble hearing conversation if there is a lot of background noise.

Nonnie Sun 21-Jan-18 17:10:37

I'm the odd one out again! We have just started going out again, mainly because other people arranged it, since the death of our son. We enjoy the theatre and concerts as well as eating out but I am getting fussier about where I will eat out. Can't see the point unless it is significantly better than at home, which Friday night wasn't but the entertainment was good which compensated.

Auntieflo Sun 21-Jan-18 17:21:27

Oh thank heavens for this thread. I thought I was the only miserable stay at home. I really have to fancy a meal out these days and would much rather eat at home. I also used to enjoy social evenings, but not now. If I'm warm and cosy, it would take an earthquake to move me.

Greyduster Sun 21-Jan-18 17:43:15

We hate going out in the evening in the winter - last time was just before Christmas. Even when we go to the cinema we go in the afternoon. As for eating out, we used to enjoy a meal out but recently all the restaurants we thought we could trust have become very expensive and disappointing, or have closed. (I can trust my favourite restaurant as I supervise the cooking!). We are left with one or two reliable pubs out in the sticks and too far out to drive to on a winter evening. I have to say most of our friends are the same - everyone wants to do lunch now instead of dinner, which used to go on to last man standing!

whitewave Sun 21-Jan-18 17:49:27

We do go to the theatre and often a meal before. We occasionally go out for a meal of an evening. There is the occasionally invite to friends homes. But oh how I miss those summer evenings!

Jane10 Sun 21-Jan-18 17:59:53

Me too everyone! I'm one of life's larks. Happy to be up and about early but can out of steam by evening.
I don't see well in the dark so driving at night is an issue.
I love lunches out that run on into the afternoon. I've got some evening talks to do which I usually enjoy once I get there but I much prefer talking to groups which meet during the day.

Mapleleaf Sun 21-Jan-18 21:39:44

I used to enjoy getting ready and then go out for a meal whatever the time of year. Now, on cold winter nights I much prefer staying in by the fireside at night. Having said that, we did go out last night for a meal and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it's making the effort that's hard when you are warm and cosy, isn't it? Now Summer evenings, that's a different kettle of fish!?

MissAdventure Sun 21-Jan-18 22:20:43

There is nothing really to entice me out, except possibly food. I can get a takeaway though.

mollie Sun 21-Jan-18 22:31:50

I’m not really much of a social animal and rarely go out after dark but I do like to go out occasionally just to remind myself that the world isn’t entirely populated with people my age or older. It’s nice to be amongst people who would normally be working when I’m out and about during the day. I’ve been to day time U3A and WI meetings so the membership are the older end of the scale. I’m 60 so I’m not a pensioner myself but getting close. Sometimes I just need to relate to a different group of peers even if it’s just sitting in a restaurant with strangers. Does that sound odd?

Venus Mon 22-Jan-18 09:59:44

I don't like the dark evenings much, but since my husband passed away, I would give anything to go out with him like we used to.

sue01 Mon 22-Jan-18 10:08:41

I absolutely agree... one of the best things about being retired is the chance to see friends during the day.

We can still have six or seven hours of sitting around eating ,drinking and chatting... but since these lunches start at noon, everybody gets home at a reasonable hour and nobody falls asleep at the table.

starbird Mon 22-Jan-18 10:15:41

I belong to my local U3A which of course meett during the day except for the theatre group. I sort of enjoy it once I get there so can just about force myself if it is still light, but if it is dark and/or wet I end up crying off. The group leader often finds someone to take my ticket, if not I just lose the money of course as it is my own fault entirely for being talked into saying I’ll go. I did not even go to the belated Christmas dinner of the small company that I work for one day a week although it was a local venue. (I did say in advance that I would not go).
Leave me to my book and tv - I have so many programmes recorded I have to keep finding things to delete in order to record new ones. Some of the series are over a year old and I have found them recorded twice because they have been repeated!

Sheilasue Mon 22-Jan-18 10:17:29

Enjoy it more when you get the lighter nights. We often do birthdays and anniversaries with d and gd, but usually in the lunchtime.

SillyNanny321 Mon 22-Jan-18 10:19:36

Wish I could stay awake long enough to go out in the evenings. Tablets I take to keep my legs working make me drowsy. Can just see someone pulling me out of my dinner while I doze away Lol!!

sarahellenwhitney Mon 22-Jan-18 10:23:51

wot .You have just described my ideal winter evening.
When younger nothing would have stopped me from a night out.

Marieeliz Mon 22-Jan-18 11:09:29

I hate going out at night in the winter and try to get home by 4 pm. I meet up with ex colleagues for lunch once a month. Go to a lunch club at the school I used to work in's Church. Went to a concert last Saturday lunch first and concert 2.30 pm then straight home.

Ex colleagues have tried to persuade me to join their WI its only every two weeks but I hate leaving the dog on his own.

SiobhanSharpe Mon 22-Jan-18 11:15:44

DH and I love going out in the evenings still, once a week/once a fortnight in general, either to the cinema or for a meal. This week we went to the cinema on Saturday night and met our son in central London for a meal on Wednesday evening.
We live rurally at present but we're Londoners at heart and love the bright lights of the big city, especially at this time of year when it's pitch black and deadly quiet in our village in the evenings.
We are retired but still busy during the day and we generally have more free time at weekends and some evenings.
And I most definitely am going to keep on driving at night for as long as physically possible. It might be a little more difficult but I refuse to limit myself by giving things up until absolutely necessary (i.e. the GP tells me not to drive.) Life's too short.

Esspee Mon 22-Jan-18 11:19:55

It is an age thing. We always choose to have meals out, theatre, cinema etc. during the day even in summer. Bonus is that usually it is cheaper too. grin

eazybee Mon 22-Jan-18 11:28:23

I think some of the above posts explain why there is so much loneliness among older people. What are you afraid of?
I am in my early seventies and go out regularly during the winter to evening classes and meetings, as well as social events.
It is the summer which drives me up the wall, when everything stops.

Lilyflower Mon 22-Jan-18 11:28:50

Going out for the odd meal for birthdays and suchlike is still a pleasure, especially as my son doesn't drink and taxi's us there and back. However, the food is often nondescript and not as good as we can make at home and the wine is always expensive.

We eat very simply in the week and, at the weekends, make an effort. We have (cheap) Champagne and nice red wine and I cook something special which we have in the dining room on nice napery. We dress up for it and feel like kings.

Nonnie Mon 22-Jan-18 11:53:10

Lily I think they call that 'Date Night'. Sounds lovely

ReadyMeals Mon 22-Jan-18 12:02:04

Talking of age-related hearing loss and noisy places, it's got much worse for us with the modern trend of stripping out carpets and comfy banquettes and going for wooden floors, chairs, and bare windows - and opening up the whole floor instead of having public bar, saloon bar, etc compartmentalised. The sound of chairs scraping and glasses being washed carries all over, and everyone speaks louder to be heard over the top. I feel more deaf after leaving one of these places than I did when I walked in.

Juggernaut Mon 22-Jan-18 12:09:18

We'll often have lunch out, but don't much like going out for dinner when it's cold and dark outside!
The effort of getting 'tarted up' for an evening out is just too much during the winter months, I'd much rather be in my PJs!

paddyann Mon 22-Jan-18 12:13:11

I love going out to eat ,finding new retaurants is a joy.Unfortunately my OH always says he could have eaten better at home ,which is fine for him but I get fed up eating my own cooking .We've only eaten out a couple of times this year at lunchtime in an attempt to appease me I think but he had a friend eating in the same restaurant and commented to him that I do a better version of the moussaka....his friend agreed .I cant win