Gransnet forums

Chat

Would the age of a cleaner bother you?

(36 Posts)
littleflo Tue 20-Feb-18 11:47:50

I have employed cleaners for the past 20 years. They have always been much younger than me. My latest lady has gone back home and I am currently advertising for a replacement.

A lady is coming tomorrow for a trial. She is 65 and quite tiny. I don’t know why, but the thought of having someone so close to my age makes me feel odd.

MawBroon Tue 20-Feb-18 22:49:45

My cleaner is a man in his early 50’s. He and his wife used to come as a pair but now she runs their B&B as well so he cleans on alternate weeks and does decorating the other.
Brilliant for me because he can also do heavy lifting (garden furniture into the garage or winter/summer clothes up and down to/from the loft).
Age doesn’t come into it, but I suppose I would feel guilty if a frail old dear were to totter round the house on my behalf (frailer and older and dearer than me, that is)

mollie Tue 20-Feb-18 22:51:00

I couldn’t imagine employing a cleaner of any age - I’d have to clean before she came so it would be pointless.

littleflo Wed 21-Feb-18 07:55:07

I had 2 men apply as well. That is the first time I have had male applicants.

PamelaJ1 Wed 21-Feb-18 08:33:48

I’m 64, I swim and play tennis, am quite capable of cleaning.
A way to keep fit? Maybe your potential cleaner is saving on gym fees and excercise classes as well as augmenting her pension.

annodomini Wed 21-Feb-18 09:35:38

littleflo. I am in North East Cheshire - not far from Stockport. After having my hip 'done' and a year later a shoulder operation, I used a cleaning agency who sent a young woman fortnightly. I was very reluctant to give her up but had to admit that I was fit to do my own housework. Now, with arthritic knees and dodgy hands, I could do with more permanent help. One of my friends says she will ask her cleaner if she has time for another client.

littleflo Wed 21-Feb-18 13:53:26

I advertised locally in Newsagent window. I ask applicants for home address, NI number and references. I advertised for a mature cleaner. You are not near me or I could have passed on some names. Not sure if this is allowed, But there is another company called Maid2Clean. I have not used them, but they find you a cleaner, do references and homecheck and then send the cleaner to you for interview. You pay the cleaner direct and the admin fee to the Agency. The only drawback I saw was that they needed 2months notice to cancel.

FarNorth Thu 22-Feb-18 11:29:24

As the older lady seems the best applicant, why not have a trial period to see how you suit each other?

newnanny Thu 22-Feb-18 13:37:36

I have employed a couple of cleaners the first was 63 when she arrived and we had her for almost 7 years unfortunately she got cancer and had to leave. The second was in her mid 50's and not so good. We kept her for 2 years but then when she kept leaving up to half an hour early each time we let her go. I prefer older cleaners because they have had time to build up experience and are not afraid of hard work. Now I have retired early so at home to do my own cleaning.

goldengirl Thu 22-Feb-18 15:53:30

I'd love a cleaner but after my best ever lady [older than me] left] I had some right bad ones. I have now purchased duster on a long pole and a rotating scrubbing head gadget both from TV shopping which are proving successful. I have the vacuum cleaner [cordless] and a floor mop and hey presto! it doesn't take as long as it did, keeps me a bit fitter than I am and is cheaper than a cleaner. Mind you my efforts would not suit someone who likes things to 'gleam'!!!

NanaPlenty Thu 22-Feb-18 20:18:20

I clean for a lady around the same age as me, I'm 59. We get on really well. She knows she can trust me in all respects and I just get on and do what's needed. When we do meet up we share a lot in common so it's really nice to have a natter. I'm sure it will work out just fine - what's to lose!