Gransnet forums

Chat

durhamjen

(199 Posts)
Eloethan Mon 09-Apr-18 23:39:07

Where is durhamjen?

trisher Tue 10-Apr-18 17:14:22

Well they have gone Annie. And that might not be a dog you can hear.

Anniebach Tue 10-Apr-18 17:19:41

No way trisha, two may follow but one would never leave unless there is another forum to continue the defend to the death on

nightowl Tue 10-Apr-18 17:22:13

They could easily have been driven away Annie. It doesn’t mean they’re scared off or upset, just that perhaps they got fed up of the same posts and personal attacks instead of debate. Anyway, I prefer not to speculate any further but wish them well. Sad they’ve gone though.

I’ll rephrase my earlier comment about gransnet not being a good place to be. I used to find it was when I first joined and I too have enjoyed the support and also met a few lovely gransnetters, at least two of whom I consider friends. But I have also been subject to personal insults and aggressive posts and there are a few posters who sap the life out of me. That’s when I start to feel it’s generally not a good place to be.

Atqui Tue 10-Apr-18 17:24:49

Perhaps they have set up a new political forum?

Atqui Tue 10-Apr-18 17:26:00

I mean with the other two that are mentioned on a similar thread.

Anniebach Tue 10-Apr-18 17:28:08

you are not alone in being subjected to insults and attacks nightowl , many avoid certain threads because of insults, attacks and having their opinions rubbished , some stick with it.

kittylester Tue 10-Apr-18 17:30:56

Quite Annie. I keep agreeing with you and I vote Tory. confused

Anniebach Tue 10-Apr-18 17:42:03

kitty, and I vote Welsh labour ?

nigglynellie Tue 10-Apr-18 20:04:29

Kitty, I vote Tory too!!! Hello! and hello annie. I've been accused of voting Ukip which did get a bit tiresome as I most certainly don't!! annie however, takes first prize in being harassed for expressing her beliefs and while I'm all for differing points of view, at times it was just horrid, and hopefully we can on here, all chat and treat each other with civility.

kittylester Tue 10-Apr-18 20:21:31

Hear, hear!

nightowl Tue 10-Apr-18 20:35:08

Perhaps being accused of voting UKIP when you don’t is as infuriating as being accused of being a communist when you aren’t. I strongly disagree that Annie has been the person most harassed on here but then I suppose posters who support Annie would think I would say that wouldn’t I? There have been many horrid times on all the threads, including the political ones and no one takes first prize for the most harassed in my opinion.

The one insult that sticks with me is that I am morally bankrupt. It still angers and hurts me very much and it gave me a different opinion of the poster who said it. And with that thought I am going to take a break from Gransnet for a while. Not leaving, not flouncing, but bidding you all goodnight and goodbye for now.

janeainsworth Tue 10-Apr-18 21:23:08

I was accused of disseminating fake news by one of the left-wingers (can’t remember which one now, but it wasn’t DJ) and the point I was trying to make summarily dismissed.
My sources of information were the Times and the BBC, so I was quite annoyed.

Gerispringer Tue 10-Apr-18 21:31:57

I was accused of knowing nothing about a certain topic when it certainly isn’t the case. After that I decided to take a break from GN. I have returned in a different guise but now with the departure of others I may decide to disappear altogether.

Anniebach Tue 10-Apr-18 21:32:36

Sorry nightowl has left too. At least always polite even though we couldn't agree

Anniebach Tue 10-Apr-18 21:34:21

Hello niggly, my little Tory voter ? x

winterwhite Tue 10-Apr-18 22:18:19

Well, you have been gransnetting longer than me, Annie so i’m prob the one who is wrong, but if ‘the thread’ is the one I’m thinking of it did seem to me that they were being hectored. Especially by someone who posted at enormous length.
I enjoy the political posts, but think it a pity when they get so detailed and so fast that other people can’t get a word in edgeways.

lemongrove Tue 10-Apr-18 22:26:23

People come and people go (how very profound!) grin

lemongrove Tue 10-Apr-18 22:27:01

There do seem to be a lot of new posters now on GN which is good.

Day6 Tue 10-Apr-18 23:34:10

I hope they have not felt driven away

That made me smile winterwhite! grin

I am imagining sweet little old dears who have been upset and are dabbing their brows with their hankies! The three posters mentioned were not shy in coming forward, as my mother used to say.

You are advised to wear a Kevlar vest before entering News and Politics. We all had to discard our thermal ones.

Goodbyetoallthat Tue 10-Apr-18 23:57:56

I'm relatively new to the site (am a new grandma & have sidled over from mumsnet complete with my hard hat & body armour) shock.
I enjoy the difference of opinion, political viewpoint etc & don't really understand why some people seem to need to denegrade opinions that don't coincide with their own.

I have had several negative comments about my opinions but most people seem to like my user name wink!

Eloethan Wed 11-Apr-18 00:37:00

I don't think they were "frightened" away. I think they probably just got sick of those on the left of the political spectrum constantly being referred to as communists, hard left, Corbynistas, etc., and of the level of debate being largely reliant on unsubstantiated claims, sneers and innuendo.

For the time being, I'm hanging on, though I will miss whitewave, durhamjen and - if it is true that she has left - gracesgran. And now nightowl, who I have always thought to be polite and very restrained in her comments, has said she is leaving.

Perhaps now there will be an even greater proliferation of I Hate Corbyn threads and silly cartoons and photos. Or perhaps those who are so virulent in their criticism of Labour might, for a change, start a thread listing the great positive contributions that the Conservative government has made to the wellbeing of this country and its inhabitants.

Tegan2 Wed 11-Apr-18 02:09:40

I find it very worrying that gransnet seems to be very representative of the country as a whole these days sad..

Baggs Wed 11-Apr-18 06:10:37

What's wrong with "very representativeness"? Surely an organisation (is GN an organisation?) that is representative of the country's population in which is mainly acts is a good reflection on it? You know, democracy and all that.

Not that I'm agreeing or disagreeing with the concept tegan has said she's worried about. I'm just puzzled as to why accurate representativeness, if it exists, should be a problem. My initial reaction would be that it's a healthy sign of the organisation's true reach.

I think it's worth remembering also that only a small proportion of GN members are also active posters on the chat forums. So that group (the chatters) may not be representative at all.

NfkDumpling Wed 11-Apr-18 06:14:57

I go away on hol for a couple of weeks and return to find DJ and WW have vanished! Disaster! What will happen to the Politics Forums? I must admit I gave up trying to stick my oar in on them as I was always shot down in flames with loads of links from DJ which I never read as they were too obscure and/or radical for my little brain.

And I don't think anyone with major problems enveloping their lives should EVER be told they're going to too much. They're not. And those who say they are should be ashamed. There but for the Grace of God and all that. So there. (I'm really glad you're still here Annie. Are the pooches ok?)

Anniebach Wed 11-Apr-18 09:02:58

There has never been a 'I hate Corbyn thread'