Gransnet forums

Chat

How many lipsticks do I need?

(80 Posts)
Diggingdoris Sat 05-May-18 09:45:48

I am trying to clear out some of the old cosmetics I've had for years. I only use lipstick nowadays, and I seem to have about a dozen different brands and colours. But do you have favourites? I tend to use about three , but I'm loathe to throw the others out. Sadly my very best favourite is no longer available, so I am frugally using a lip brush to use up every last bit inside the dispenser. So I'm trying now to use up some of the other half used colours, that no longer seem to suit me by mixing two together, either with the lip brush or just putting two different coats on. I sound like a miser, but as most of them were expensive brands (from when I was working), it seems a shame to waste them.
Is anyone else out there as daft as me?

dogsmother Sun 06-May-18 10:04:45

What is supposed to happen to you if you use lipstick when it’s passed it shelf life....?

muddynails Sun 06-May-18 10:15:56

I have put stub ends of favorites in small cream jar and melted in micro, probably kills germs, hey presto pot of lippy to use with lip brush

muddynails Sun 06-May-18 10:41:43

Dogsmother, w e l l , first one lip drops of followed by..
ooh its just too nasty to mention

Witzend Sun 06-May-18 10:47:31

I have 3 all the same. One in whatever bag I'm using, one in make-up bag in downstairs loo, one in the dish on hall table under the mirror.

Juggernaut Sun 06-May-18 11:02:03

I'm not admitting to how many lipsticks I have, I've just counted, and all I'm saying is it's somewhere over twenty, a long way over twenty!
I have one lippy that's completely dried up, and even if it wasn't, I wouldn't dream of using it, because it's thirty five years old! I was wearing it the day I met DH, and I'm such a soppy creature, I can't bring myself to throw it away! It was an Avon one, and the shade is Black Tulip, a very deep purplish red, very eighties!
Paddyann
Leichner Camera Clear (they don't use the 'K' now) Foundation is easily available online, so if you want some, just google it.
I use 'blend of porcelain' as I'm very fair skinned. I mix it with a primer and put it on lightly with a brush, it lasts all day and doesn't look obvious at all! I'm starting to get a bit rosy cheeked due to this bout of lovely weather, so will probably change to 'blend of tan' in the next few days, if the sunny weather holdsgrin

EmilyHarburn Sun 06-May-18 11:12:42

I liked Leichner. haven't used them recently as I use colour me beautiful. However they are still going strong.

www.redcarpetfx.com/collections/leichner

www.teampixie.co.uk/c/leichner-stage-makeup.html

www.dancewearcentral.co.uk/accessories-c1/stage-make-up-c220/stage-makeup-removing-cream-p611

Have lots of lipsticks. Try to get rid of colours that are no longer flattering. Have one of my original Coty purchases in a red gold and white case.

Craftycat Sun 06-May-18 11:51:23

I have 2 but I rarely wear lipstick as it never stays on me.
Now if we are talking eye makeup I have an entire drawer full!!

paddyann Sun 06-May-18 11:57:23

thank youjuggernaut and EmilyHarburn* I'll get on to it now.Haven't seen it in shops so assumed it had disappeared .

mabon1 Sun 06-May-18 11:57:45

I've got 30 pair of shoes and 24 pair of sandals but it doesn't bother me. I have two lipsticks and that's enough for me

GabriellaG Sun 06-May-18 12:52:37

I never wear lipstick, only a bit of Burt's Bees salve. Likewise make-up. I only use a small amount of Astral after showering before bed and Keihls facial moisturiser with SPF 15 during the day.
On special occasions I might use mascara but that's it. We weren't born with orange/bright red/mocha lips and my skin is good so why plaster it with fake colour?

Matelda Sun 06-May-18 13:12:47

I’m a fan of Look Fabulous Forever make up, which is specially formulated for older skin. It’s available online, and Tricia Cusden whose idea it was writes a great weekly blog. She has also made lots of videos (available free on YouTube) to show older women how to put their make up on for best effect. I particularly like the primers which keep make up in place all day.

Kim19 Sun 06-May-18 13:22:22

Craftycat, I was given a tip on here to use 'Lipcote' for lipstick staying power and it has worked for me. Do give it a try. Boots. I only use lipstick and have three of different shades which seem to cover all my outfits. My overkill is in other areas but that's a work (battle!) in progress.

Sheilasue Sun 06-May-18 13:30:12

I like lip glosses now can get a natural colour for lips and have been using Avon cosmetics. I like just basic face make up so it gets used up and I buy what ever I run out of.
Don’t wear so much now. Helen Mirren said she doesn’t wear so much make up now and I agree with that. Less is more.

NonnaW Sun 06-May-18 13:41:17

I tend only to use Clinique lipsticks as they are fragrance free and I can’t bear anything perfumed on my lips. Are there any other brands out there fragrance free?

Kayteeb53 Sun 06-May-18 13:49:10

I rarely wear lipstick as it gets in the way of me smothering DGD with kisses!

Revis Sun 06-May-18 14:21:05

Welshwife - l swear by Maybelline 24 hr lipstick. Put it on first thing and still there at bedtime - needs cleanser to remove it.

kathyd Sun 06-May-18 14:36:03

I have never in my life used foundation or anything else on my skin such as moisturiser, creams etc. or any other make-up apart from mascara because my eyelashes are so fine. I have never cleaned my face in anything but soap and water and everyone comments what a remarkable skin I have. They don't say, 'for your age' but you can bet they are thinking it!

Auntieflo Sun 06-May-18 14:44:36

Why oh why do manufacturers discontinue a favourite colour? I used to love Barbara Daly's Mocha, bought from Tesco, but that has gone, (the whole range), and I'm still trying to fund a substitute. Then I think I've found one, but it's never quite right.

petra Sun 06-May-18 14:53:21

Revis
It certainly does. My daughter and I have been experimenting with lippies for her wedding in 2 weeks. That's the one grin

keffie Sun 06-May-18 14:54:20

Eek! Did you all know there is an expiry date on makeup? It gets filled up with germs and bacteria so should be used up or thrown out.

Average is products shouldn't be kept more than a year. Google it and you will find out the expiration dates.

I'm a minimalist with make up and don't keep loads in. One primer, one foundation, one blusher and bronzer, one lipstick, lip gloss and lip pencil, one mascara, one eyebrow fluid one, one concealer, one spray set and two eyeshadow palettes and that's it.

I don't buy new until the one is nearly empty.

Beejo Sun 06-May-18 17:39:07

I developed an allergy on my lips after wearing an ancient lipstick. Can now only wear certain lip glosses and usually stick to Revlon as they seem to bother me least, certainly nothing drying or with high pigmentation. I tried looking up the ingredients in lipsticks so I could compare the ones I reacted to with the ones that were ok but gave up as each of them ran to 3 pages! I was quite horrified by how many chemicals we must ingest!
Doctor said "old make up is the very devil!"
Be warned and use at your own risk!

dogsmother Sun 06-May-18 17:48:54

Well muddy nails ?...... I can understand eye infections from some stuff but anything else is beyond me, providing you keep your brushes etc clean. Gabrielle...people have been using rouge and lipsticks forever to simply enhance natural beauty I’m quite sure you are in the minority for not doing so.

humptydumpty Sun 06-May-18 18:00:38

Gabrielle, I'm with you, also when I did try lipstick once I hated the feel of it on my lips.

annodomini Sun 06-May-18 18:26:31

I have thrown out quite a number of old lipsticks, leaving myself with two choices, of a similar colour. I have always had trouble keeping lipstick on, so when my DiL and DGD recommended Lipfinity so I gave it a go. It only took 20 minutes for my lips to begin puffing up. Disappointing, and back to the drawing board!

newnanny Sun 06-May-18 19:43:59

I don't wear lipstick during the day but have 3 for evenings out but usually stick to just one.