Gransnet forums

Chat

Coffee? (Not what you think)

(104 Posts)
Chinesecrested Tue 15-May-18 09:27:37

I was browsing Mumsnet where a mum was explaining that her mil gave the toddler a taste of her coffee, and the OP objected strongly. It ended up in a big row, with the toddlers dad criticised for not defending the OP. I can't for the life of me, see why the mil can't give the child a sip of coffee! My Dil wouldn't have a problem with this. What do grans think?

janeainsworth Tue 15-May-18 17:26:26

And of course the other side of the coin is that DiL and DD trust me with the children because they know I’m not going to go against their wishes.

Maggiemaybe Tue 15-May-18 17:39:58

It’s interesting that several posters have firmly stated that this is up to Mum and Mum alone. What about Dad? Does he not get a say?

BlueBelle Tue 15-May-18 17:42:51

Why on earth would you be horrified at sharing a cup with your grandchild are you infectious ?

jenpax Tue 15-May-18 18:08:55

I have never offered DGC any of my coffee although I understand the 2 that are 6 now have babyccino when out some times. As others have said this is up to mum and dad

Gerispringer Tue 15-May-18 18:12:25

It’s for Mum and Dad to decide what they want their child to be eating / drinking. Coffee might not do them any harm , neither would chocolate, bubble gum, Haribo sweets, Coca Cola, or doughnuts, but if the parents don’t want their tiny child to be eating/ drinking them then the GM should just say fine and not make a huge issue of it. What if they then thought that coffee was a drink for them and grabbed a really hot cup and burnt themselves? Keep hot drinks out of the way and listen to the parents, they might not be right, but in the end it’s their child.

Chinesecrested Tue 15-May-18 18:21:40

Not at all. He's just supposed to back mum up, whether he agrees with her or not. Otherwise he's "unsupportive" and to be condemned accordingly

Maggiemaybe Tue 15-May-18 18:22:14

Babyccino is just frothed up milk, jenpax.

pollyperkins Tue 15-May-18 18:23:01

I agree that if the mother doesn't want it MiL should not give it. But if this was the first time, why the fuss?
Surely the best reaction would be to say I'd rather you didn't give child coffee or even Please don't do that again. Now if she offends a second time, that is very different.

pollyperkins Tue 15-May-18 18:24:10

Who made the big fuss, DiL or MiL? I'm unclear.

Maggiemaybe Tue 15-May-18 18:24:22

So often the case, sadly, Chinesecrested.

Joelsnan Tue 15-May-18 18:36:49

Parents have a difficult job dealing with all of the celebrities and 'experts' pushing their child rearing agendas. I really think that they should look at themselves, are they happy, healthy and not suffering from their upbringing? If yes, there's a lot to be learned from grans. knowledge.
The more pernickerty parents have become about feeding children, the more eating disorders have arisen.
I think about my mum, one of 13, living through the depression. Despite the fatty poor quality food they had to eat most of the family lived into good old age as did many more.

janeainsworth Tue 15-May-18 18:57:04

bluebelle it’s not the sharing of the cup that’s the issue.

MamaCaz Tue 15-May-18 20:11:36

janeainsworth

I believe that bluebell was just responding to Eglantine21's comment of "Sharing a cup! Yuk!"

janeainsworth Tue 15-May-18 20:48:42

Oh! Sorry bluebelleblush

Cherrytree59 Tue 15-May-18 20:49:54

I agree with the mother on this .
Her rules go.
Personally I would not give a sip of any drink to a toddler. (other than their own water/milk)
Coffee contains caffeine
Would it be ok to give the toddler a sip of coke/Pepsi) which also contains caffeine?
One sip may not be harmful but the toddlers then think it's a game and could start asking whinging to taste other people's drinks.

Cherrytree59 Tue 15-May-18 20:50:54

Please ignore mother should read parents
blush

lemongrove Tue 15-May-18 21:02:32

Thank goodness I don’t get a list of ‘wishes’ from my children regarding my care of their own children. Having brought up several of them safely to adulthood, they know
They can leave things to me.

lemongrove Tue 15-May-18 21:04:31

BlueBelle grin
Nothing wrong with sharing a cup.... but it would no doubt be me that caught something ( colds and coughs) with my DGC.

Beau Tue 15-May-18 21:39:10

I'm with lemon grove - I look after DGS full time and there are no rules - DD and SIL trust me. I don't think I could abide loads of rules, it's hard enough just keeping up with a toddler - anyway, I feel I have given up enough to provide all this childcare without living in a 'police state' ?
Actually DD lets him taste her tea and he loves it. I drink black coffee so I don't let him taste mine. The mumsnet person as usual is making a big fuss about nothing. In the sixties, my sister (third child) had milky tea in every bottle from quite an early age - she was the healthiest of all of us?

lemongrove Tue 15-May-18 21:42:06

grin

Baggs Tue 15-May-18 22:00:59

Did the gran know about the DiL’s feelings about a taste of coffee before it was given? Had the child asked for a taste?

I get the mumsnet OP's objection but it's not clear that granny thought there was any harm in a wee taste (before she knew about her dil's feelings on the subject) and it sounds as if toddler's dad wasn't too bothered either.

Sounds to me like an Outrage Opportunity that OP wanted to make the most of. These OOs are popular I think.

inishowen Wed 16-May-18 10:18:21

My three year old GD was begging her mum for coffee. My dil made a weak cup of coffee and gave it to her. GD made such a face when she tasted it. She thought it was horrible and won't ask for coffee again. There is no harm in having a little taste of things.

codfather Wed 16-May-18 10:33:03

There's more caffeine in most of the soft drinks available to children than there is in coffee so that argument doesn't stand up!

My children are perfectly aware that their children may have food or drink here that they may not get at home and nobody worries about it. It's good for children to taste as many foods and drinks as possible while they're young and a sip of coffee isn't going to hurt!

leeds22 Wed 16-May-18 10:34:47

Strikes me that the dil was looking for an inter-generational squabble, why put something so trivial on Mumsnet. Presumably mil now knows not to give dgc any more sips of coffee, end of.

Myym Wed 16-May-18 10:40:38

How many children are brought up having: a cup of tea, soft drinks, chocolate, ice cream? All of these and many others contain caffeine.
I wonder how many of the anti caffeine brigade check the ingredients of ALL food and drink.
(Not including people with severe allergies who have to be ever mindful of what they eat and drink)