Gransnet forums

Chat

Coffee? (Not what you think)

(104 Posts)
Chinesecrested Tue 15-May-18 09:27:37

I was browsing Mumsnet where a mum was explaining that her mil gave the toddler a taste of her coffee, and the OP objected strongly. It ended up in a big row, with the toddlers dad criticised for not defending the OP. I can't for the life of me, see why the mil can't give the child a sip of coffee! My Dil wouldn't have a problem with this. What do grans think?

Melanieeastanglia Fri 03-Aug-18 21:04:27

I don't think caffeine is suitable for children and, if my mother or mother-in-law had given my children a sip of coffee, I would have politely asked them not to do so.

However, I wouldn't have had a row over such a thing.

The fact that the situation escalated into a row makes me wonder how the daughter-in-law spoke to her mother-in-law.

Tone of voice and wording can be very important.

Deedaa Fri 03-Aug-18 21:34:39

I drank tea from the age of 18 months when I decided I didn't like milk. My grandfather used to give me a sip of cherry brandy or gin and orange and I don't seem to have turned into a hopeless alcoholic (yet!) The GSs don't care for coffee although the middle one (5years old) does like a cup of tea. Food Unwrapped had an item claiming that coffee can help repair the liver in the case of people in danger of developing cirrhosis!

Blinko Fri 03-Aug-18 21:38:53

How about Advocaat?