Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's comfortable and friendly kitchen...

(1001 Posts)
soop Thu 28-Jun-18 16:41:24

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good pals and jolly good company.
Never mind the weather
Never mind the rain?
As long as we're together
Here we go again...
Welcome and please feel free to open the Bubbly and tuck into a virtual Magnum choc ice. smile

Panache Mon 16-Jul-18 11:52:41

A big warm Good Morning and the news from West Wales is wet!!!
Yes we have, and are having, quite a rainfall,very much needed for sure,we only hope that the tap does get turned off at some point ........because there is that danger of far too much of the wet stuff.

Ann my heart goes out to you with hearing you are again brought to breaking point,sometimes the act of thinking things through is far more demanding than a hard day of physical labouring.This is such a momentous point in your life,not helped by thinking back to the comparisons between your last and this next Anniversary.
I think you know in your heart what you must do but then that nagging voice has you questioning all manner of things.
Please know you are very much in our prayers,and I do believe you will work this painful decision through and it will be the right one...........for both yourself and your H.
Hugs all the way.

Whilst wishing you A Happy Ruby Anniversary Jane....bon voyage!!

G Q.............your pictures are just mouth watering and truly appeal to me,so thank you.I love and have fond memories of Northumberland.
My word you certainly do a lot of mileage.......very impressive!

Very appreciative of your post regarding your own road situation nearby Corner........ oviously you understand all too well.Seems you have been truly enjoying all that sea air too!........it really is so uplifting,renewing.

Whilst I may give you a taste of our rather pleasant afternoon out yesterday, and it will certainly "ring a bell" with a few,especially you GreyD
A lovely very warm day but a strong southerly breeze made it extremly tropical,ideal for me.
So we headed off to our Broad Haven beach,a lot less busy this time but still a lovely holiday atmosphere.So many wonderful memories of when we spent the whole summertime here in our Caravan.......first a mere box on wheels and then a big modern one....with all the trimmings.
Haven`t been on the beach itself for year,s so daringly for me!!!........we walked the entire length.......and yes headed off towards Settlands and Little Haven since the sea was way out............absolute heaven.
One thing missing.......our 4 legged friends.
Having got half way hobbling on my stick.......we thought we had best turn and head back or I might not make it! So a slow stroll back across the beach again,drinking in the air and the lovely feeling............then I came over all faint and wobbly as is my wont nowadays........so a sit down was very prudent.
An Italian icecream.........forbidden... but thoroughly enjoyed..........rounded up a lovely afternoon,we even completed our Blankword on returning home!!

No sports for me, so I leave that to all you lovely addicts! You have had one very full weekend for sure gals............so I hope it has helped to rest you..........Charley, Soop and all those glued to the screens.
We are followers of the great Tour de France.

It seems the heavenly tap has already been turned off.........the skies are again brightening.
Time I was certainly not here...............see you later .......and I may,just may need a magnum!!

Charleygirl Mon 16-Jul-18 11:56:59

I have had a lovely morning out. I was kindly picked up by another GN and a friend in her car and we went to the local Waitrose to meet another GN for coffee and a chat. For me it was lovely being back in the land of the living again and being able to choose my own food. Thank you all so much for such a pleasant morning. The weather as always was too hot but I have no control over that.

annsixty Mon 16-Jul-18 13:13:36

That was a lovely outing Charleygirl how good to feel normal again.
I haven't reported the saga of my new handbag, my birthday present to myself. That will teach me to check thoroughly before ordering online.
I ordered from the Sale a black leather satchel style handbag and it arrived on Saturday.
I knew something was amiss by the size and weight of the box handed to me by Mr Hermes.
When I opened it, there nestling in lots of tissue was a lovely but really tiny handbag, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, but ended up laughing as it was so blizzard.
It would have done as a satchel for a large doll.
I need to add it cost£125 in the sale.
After due consideration and lots of heartsearching, I am keeping it, it is exactly right for taking out in the evening when only a small bag will do.
After all I do go out lots of times?.
Then I did the only thing a girl can do when she has been disappointed.
Answers on a post card please.

annsixty Mon 16-Jul-18 13:14:51

Bizzare , bizzare !!!

soop Mon 16-Jul-18 13:32:27

Another good afternoon greeting to our pals in the kitchen. We've had a walk around the quayside in Tarbert and I stopped many times to take photos of flowers.

Ann Your birthday handbag 'though small will become a "collectable" in time. Take it out whenever to get a chance to enjoy it. I guess that it will hold a wee mirror, comb and lipstick and maybe a little lace hankie. Wow! Treasure it.

grannie queenie I particularly like the photo of the fluffy clouds and azure sky.

JaneD3 Wishing you a very happy Ruby wedding anniversary. How lovely to have a family wedding to look forward to. flowers

Hello again to mrshat do visit more often.

Panache Thank you for your interesting daily update. As for cycling...hmm apart from my infrequent spins on the exercise bike, I am not a fan. One of my sons is very much into mountain bike activities. Unlike me, he has no interest in tennis. Takes all sorts.

I'm uploading a photo that I took today. Even a short stroll takes forever when I'm out with the camera.

soop Mon 16-Jul-18 13:33:36

Ann I understood what you meant...great minds, and all that. wink

Bellanonna Mon 16-Jul-18 14:14:16

Hope it was a good vintage, Ann

Panache Mon 16-Jul-18 14:34:11

At least your saga of the handbag gave me a big smile this monday afternoon Ann.......but how on earth do these firms get away with these things ,still I bet you will find a use for it...... actually I have now given up totally on handbags for when walking with a stick they are both cumbersome and an added weight.........its cross body bags for me.They are relatively small,but well thought out so there is condiderables spaces for much of the paraphenalia we tend to carry..............I think it is the best thing since sliced bread.....for me!!
Good to hear your chirpy note........hope it stays the pace!!

Another chirpy message from you Charley and I can well imagine you feel totally blessed,first by the kind thoughts of other caring G.N`s.......and for crossing the threshhold......dipping your toes into the great big world outside your front door............may this be the first of many such outings.

So much for our downpour........it is brightening up and already folk are back trekking to the beach.

Expecting yet more pictures Soop.......time I tried my hand instead of simply drooling over all the pictures in this thread1

JaneD3 Mon 16-Jul-18 14:34:40

You have some lovely memories to hold on to Ann. I did most of my grieving for Mum before she died and now remember the happy times (usually!)

annodomini Mon 16-Jul-18 15:32:45

Answer on a postcard, ann. Did you promptly buy another more suitable bag?

Panache Mon 16-Jul-18 15:42:46

Answer on a PC.............Sit down with a stiff drink of choice!!!

annsixty Mon 16-Jul-18 15:49:44

anno wins the coconut.
I am getting what I need before the LA get it .

Charleygirl Mon 16-Jul-18 16:44:34

ann I did similar- mine will not hold a purse or my phone- really only keys and loose change. I wanted a leather cross over bag but this one cost under £15 a tad cheaper than yours. I immediately ordered another and this one at least holds everything I need.

MawBroon Mon 16-Jul-18 16:45:56

Absolutely Annsixty!

NanaandGrampy Mon 16-Jul-18 16:52:53

Afternoon all,

Finally got everything together here after a weekend of the little boys. A high old time was had by all but boy did I sleep well last night !!

Just a quick pop in really as I have so much to catch up on !! Keep the bag ann and plan on using it a lot when H is in respite next time !! Then buy yourself another bigger one :-) Can't have too many bags !

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip out Charley , and that you got to choose something nice to eat!

Ill leave you with a picture of the partners in crime from yesterday and one of a magnificent tiger who looks like he and Coop are in the same cage ( Something I considered over the weekend for my naughty boy lol )

Doodle Mon 16-Jul-18 16:55:12

Well done ann. Hope DH settles into respite ok. You are much overdue a rest of mind and body. Hope you get the opportunity to show off your new bag. Perhaps a meal out with your lovely GD would be in order.?

Doodle Mon 16-Jul-18 17:00:06

I have decided to order a job lot of brown overalls. I will hang them in a cupboard in the kitchen and you can all borrow them when you decide to partake of mini Magnums! I have lost count of the number of times a tiny piece of chocolate has fallen onto my clean trousers and melted, although I am still slightly puzzled (and hugely embarrassed) at the slightly larger piece that somehow melted on my bottom blush

Panache Mon 16-Jul-18 17:10:32

Now that is what I call productive thinking Doodle........why is it also that the something quite special always the one that gets that "mucky" treatment?!

Good for you Ann even though I lost!

Wowee........they are rather superb beasts N & G........sounds as though you could do with some "me" time!

Those cross over bags come with so many compartments they really do accomodate a lot Charley.........mine is real leather and cost some £52....very good for leather in my opinion......my third now.
All I need are places to go to wear them!!!

MawBroon Mon 16-Jul-18 17:21:14

Not only did some mini Magnum chocolate land on my white jeans but also on the sand coloured carpet - only I didn’t notice until it had melted and done its worst.
Fortunately, having a dog means that I have some very high powered carpet cleaner (not that Hattie would ever misbehave) so the evidence is now gone.

soop Mon 16-Jul-18 17:37:22

That's made me simmer. What has? A long message that I was previewing for spelling mistakes, suddenly left the screen and something about books took it's place.

Buggerations galore with whistles and bells. hmm

I cannot repeat all that I said. Except that the tiger is a magnificent beast.
Maw and Doodle grin My chocolate flaky bit went inside my blouse and melted on one of my chesticles. wink
Ann Bless you. What have you chosen? Do share with us nosy lot.

Care home visit tomorrow. Time for me to log off for today. Leaving you with smiles and hugs a plenty until I return in the afternoon. moon

annodomini Mon 16-Jul-18 17:59:17

Back from weekend in Oxfordshire with DS2's family somewhat marred by the rail replacement buses between Didcot and Banbury. A necessary evil, I suppose, but what on earth are they doing? I couldn't find an explanation. On Saturday afternoon we went to pick fruit - GS2 and I got cherries and GS3 did the raspberries with his dad. Great picking - the cherry trees in particular were yielding a great crop. And the farm had a first rate ice cream shop which is an excellent means of persuading the boys away from their electronic entertainments. grin

Charleygirl Tue 17-Jul-18 09:08:27

Another hot day- I am up at the crack of dawn tomorrow for my fist OPD appointment since surgery. I was told yesterday by the physio that I will have to keep using the crutches- I can live with that provided I can drive again.

This enforced stay indoors for a couple of months has not done much for my brain. I sat in the front seat of my friend's car yesterday and totally forgot I needed to use a seat belt. I had to be reminded! This is somebody who drives in London!!!

annsixty Tue 17-Jul-18 10:16:18

Good luck Charleygirl I was off crutches by 5 weeks but it was my first knee, my other one was good then.
I took my H yesterday, it was much easier than the first time, he has the same room although he couldn't remember.
He said he felt ill when we got there but I'm afraid we just ignored it, he is getting very cunning at getting his own way all the time.
The staff ( some) made a fuss of him, I find 2 of the senior staff quite remote, friendly, but no more , while the carers are very nice.
We left him in the lounge just as the tea and cake trolley made its entrance so he would be happy with that.
My own spirits are much lighter this time, I am tired and aching with my hip and back but determined to make the most of it this time.
I also realise a week won't be enough to recover my mojo.

He is staying 10 nights this time but I will plan for regular 2 weekdays until He goes in permanently.
Dull here today but still warm I have house jobs to do that I can't get done otherwise but I will go slowly or my social life will suffer, I can't have that☺

cornergran Tue 17-Jul-18 10:27:35

Look after yourself, ann, the house can wait. A lift to your spirits seems more important.

Mad catch up day here today, it’s cooler and we have an unexpectedly empty day until Granny duties this evening. I’m embarking on a marathon cook-in to feed the freezer and us in the days ahead.

Great fun with Littlest yesterday, he’s so happy it’s impossible not to be happy with him. He’s just started to cry when we go, a phase we know but it’s hard to hear.

Fingers crossed for your appointment tomorrow charley, hope you get the all clear to drive. Independence again will be wonderful.

Your fruit picking reminded me of childhood times in Kent anno ‘helping’ at a neighbours friend’s farm. Mostly plums back then. Good days.

Best get on with the cooking, one lot is in the slow cooker, the next is oven bound. Take care everyone. We’re down to 19 degrees today, never thought I’d say it but it’s bliss smile.

Charleygirl Tue 17-Jul-18 10:37:49

corner maybe make a bit extra and have it wing its way to my freezer- there is room now that the Magnums have vanished- where I have no idea. At least it is cooler for you but do not overdo it.

I picked raspberries as a child locally and was paid for the privilege but my mother used to say that what I earned did not make up for petrol to get me there as well as drinks and sandwiches.

ann try to forget about housework- look after yourself this week resting as well as enjoying yourself. H will be fine- at least the staff know him even if he does not recognise them.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion