Gransnet forums

Chat

Woke.

(58 Posts)
Teetime Tue 03-Jul-18 09:01:31

Dont know if I have missed a thread on this but what's with all this Woke stuff- can anyone explain it to me please?

Parsley3 Tue 03-Jul-18 14:11:49

Loved the clip! ?
I had not heard of Woke being used in this way and I have no idea if I am Woke or not, or even if I want to be.
Surely, this is a misuse of a perfectly good verb and one for discussion in Pedant’s Corner.

pollyperkins Tue 03-Jul-18 16:47:47

Well I've heard of Woke and discussed it with friends and the family. I was under the impression that it was a trendy word mainly relating to black rights and anti racism. The context I heard about it was Meghan Markle being referred to as a 'Woke princess'! Wasn't aware it was a general term for left wing views.

maryeliza54 Tue 03-Jul-18 18:00:36

Is it a general term for left wing views? I became aware of it via MN where many women used it to describe becoming aware of the dangers of the TRAs and what was going on re the push for self id and the dangers to the concept of women. Nothing remotely left wing about that. I think of it now as being socially and culturally aware of a specific issue. I’m becoming increasingly woke to the issue of the withdrawal of legal aid that has been going on. For example with the case of the woman whose husband was killed by a mentally ill man

pollyperkins Tue 03-Jul-18 18:36:48

Maryeliza I was referring to what Lilyflower said . I didn't think it meant that either. But it does seem a bit vague.

maryeliza54 Tue 03-Jul-18 18:51:02

Well Lilys post was right wing tosh

maryeliza54 Tue 03-Jul-18 18:54:52

What’s vague though about just becoming more aware of some issue? We at least of those who think do this all the time surely? I’d just say that I’d become more aware of x and understood it better and hadn’t really though of it before etc but woke is the in word isn’t it that’s all - I remember words from my youth that made my parents roll their eyes

glammagran Tue 03-Jul-18 20:43:21

Thanks for the explanation. I too had been wondering what “woke” meant.

Grandmama Tue 03-Jul-18 21:26:53

Never heard of 'woke'. I give up, the world is going mad.

downtoearth Tue 03-Jul-18 21:37:33

I was woke this morning ..too flipping early...I hope I am not woke tomorrow at an ungodly hour by those going to work

Peaseblossom Wed 04-Jul-18 01:39:39

Lilyflower. Ha ha. In that case I definitely want to stay asleep! What load of cobblers

Peaseblossom Wed 04-Jul-18 01:46:23

Why do I have to keep logging in every time I want to comment even though the “stay logged in” box is ticked?!!! AAAAGH!!!!

pollyperkins Wed 04-Jul-18 07:56:10

Please blossom -that happens to me on my ipad. So I write most of the time on my phone with a tiny keyboard and make loads of typos.

CardiffJaguar Wed 04-Jul-18 09:07:40

It is hard left political attitudes. Annoying rubbish.

Elegran Wed 04-Jul-18 09:17:39

No, the term "woke" is not specific to any left/right political attitude. It is a buzz-word used to denote that "we are those who are aware of what is what, and you are one of those who don't". Like all jargon, it excludes and discriminates against everyone who has not yet discovered the meaning of the term.

Elrel Wed 04-Jul-18 11:23:35

So, I've awakened this morning but am now concerned regarding whether or not I am woke ...

fruitloop Wed 04-Jul-18 11:24:43

with it. That's a phrase I haven't heard in a long time. We used to use it all the time

maryeliza54 Wed 04-Jul-18 15:30:32

I don’t agree Elegran - when I see people using ‘woke’ they are indicating that they have become aware not that others aren’t. Cardiff your post is sheer nonsense

trisher Wed 04-Jul-18 16:01:32

We're not back to left and hard left again are we? This is getting like Mornington Crescent. If it's hard left I am obviously 'woke' if it isn't I don't think I am 'woke'
However as I am staying the night at DSs I will be 'woke' around 6am tomorrow.

maryeliza54 Wed 04-Jul-18 16:49:46

I really don’t know where this stupid left right thing re ‘woke’ has come from trisher. It’s utter rubbish - woke is just the latest in a string of modern words that emerge and always have - imo it’s nice to keep up to date with modern usage and not just retreat into some of the attitudes on here.

CardiffJaguar Wed 04-Jul-18 18:19:10

maryeliza54; you do not have any political problems then or you would have known about this.

Elegran Wed 04-Jul-18 20:36:05

"it’s nice to keep up to date with modern usage and not just retreat into some of the attitudes on here." but there is a difference between knowing about social phenomena and keeping up to date with jargon usage. It does sometimes seem that if you don't know all the buzzwords about everything you are assumed to be blind to the current problems and developments too.

Words are labels, they are not the things that they label. The state of being "woke" appears to be the same as the state of being "with it" or "up to speed" or "clued up" or any of the many terms used to indicate consciousness of the contemporary zeitgeist. Not having met that particular neologism does not automatically reveal a closed mind.

BlueBelle Wed 04-Jul-18 22:05:00

I ve know about Emos but never heard the woke thingy round this way maybe it’s a London thingy

Beau Wed 04-Jul-18 22:33:37

I had never heard of 'woke' either but DD sent me the Tracey Ullman clip earlier today so I get it now - code for freaking nonsense left wing tosh talk (imo). Surprised I had never heard of it actually as I impressed DD a couple of weeks ago at the Royal Albert Docks by saying 'oh look, there's some steam punks, I've never seen one before' (they were a sight to behold ?) - she looked at me as if I was mad and only believed such a thing existed after she had looked it up on Google - then she said she felt old and was not keeping up with the youth culture like her mum ?

Bathsheba Wed 04-Jul-18 22:43:00

TLVGran that clip was absolutely hilarious, thanks for sharing!
I shall be listening out for this word now, but I don't think I shall be using it any time soon. Well, not in this context anyway. I don't mind in the least saying "I woke up" but I'm not going to say "I'm woke" about any current issues - quite happy to carry on saying "I'm familiar with/I understand" or even "I'm up to speed on..." wink

BlueBelle Thu 05-Jul-18 06:05:29

Surely it’s not for us to use is it ? Once we start using it then it’s time for them ( young generation) to move on and find a new word
We not suppose to understand their language ?