Gransnet forums

Chat

"Would you like the hangers?"

(54 Posts)
gmelon Sun 15-Jul-18 16:16:05

Any one else find the following familiar?

Shopping with other half. Purchase taking place, husband and I at till.
Shop assistant "Would you like to keep the hangers?"
Me "Ooh yes please."
Husband, very firmly "No, no we don't thank you."

I can read my husbands mind. He never says a word to me but;
Cue him stepping back in horror, bringing out his hanger phobia and going into full "how many hangers do you need, can't they just not ask you." Only in his mind though.

You would think the assistant had said "would you just like to strip naked Sir while i ring up your purchase."

Deedaa Sun 15-Jul-18 16:39:33

Mine can't bear having his hair cut. Last time his barber came round his first words sere "It's all right I've brought the gas and air with me!" grin

sodapop Sun 15-Jul-18 17:00:13

That's funny gmelon We all have our idiosyncrasies don't we.
My husband looks at me as if I've sprouted another head if I suggest he gets a different style of shoe from the ones we always get online. The thought of going to a shoe shop and trying some on is beyond horrific apparently.

M0nica Sun 15-Jul-18 17:23:52

DH has problem with buttons. Recently, without thinking I bought a top with buttons down the back . I have worked out that I can, just get it over my head with only two buttons undone and can also then pull the top up a bit at the back and do them up.

FlexibleFriend Sun 15-Jul-18 17:37:01

The ones that get me are knickers on hangers, NO I don't want the hangers I'll just bung em in a drawer.

Grannyknot Sun 15-Jul-18 17:56:39

gmelon my husband can't cope at all if the hangers aren't all the same. So if I brought shop hangers home it would send him into overdrive.

We seldom go shopping together - it's easier on your own, isn't it?

pollyperkins Sun 15-Jul-18 18:57:02

Gmelon sounds just like me and DH! We have exactly the same conversation. 'You have umpteen hangers; you don't need any more!'

mcem Mon 16-Jul-18 10:02:05

I always say no to the nasty plastic hangers (apart from those with clips).
The slim velvety hangers are inexpensive, easy to organise, space-saving and better to look at.
I have a few 'heavy duty' wooden ones for suits but have dumped all the plastic ones!

Rosieroe Mon 16-Jul-18 10:08:23

I swear plastic hangers breed in the bottom of wardrobes!

sarahcyn Mon 16-Jul-18 10:50:14

mcem slim velvety hangers sound nice, can you post a link?

blueberry1 Mon 16-Jul-18 11:13:46

sarahcyn,you can buy velveteen coat hangers from www.studio.co.uk .

GabriellaG Mon 16-Jul-18 11:15:33

MOnica
hmm If it's your DH who has a problem with buttons, am I missing the correlation between YOU buying blouse with buttons down the back and HIM having a problem with buttons? winkgrin

GabriellaG Mon 16-Jul-18 11:21:03

Primark, The Original Factory Shop and just about any High Street store like TKMaxx or pound shops sell the non-slip type of hangers. Very cheap and come in an array of colours which can help you organise your clothes more effectively.

Craftycat Mon 16-Jul-18 11:31:47

Never ever shop with DH. What an appalling idea!!!

NanaRayna Mon 16-Jul-18 11:36:54

GabriellaG The issue is that her husband can't button the back of her blouse, so poor MOnica is doing a limbo dance to get into it without having to ask DH to help! shock

mcem Mon 16-Jul-18 11:54:37

Agree. Mine are from primark. Combine them with a space saver hanger bar (ebay) and you can really increase your storage capacity!

MawBroon Mon 16-Jul-18 11:57:06

Oh mcem a woman after my own heart! ?

mcem Mon 16-Jul-18 12:19:52

Items removed from wardrobe for clarity!
I believe that 6/7 items hung like this take up about 2" of rail space.
Have converted all friends and family!
Does your comment mean you do the same or do I have another convert???

Sheilasue Mon 16-Jul-18 12:25:15

Find that embarrassing if my h did that at the counter.
I never say no to hangers.
They do have there perculiarities (is that right ) don’t they.

Lyndylou Mon 16-Jul-18 12:45:50

I can't shop with my other half. He wants to know what I want, if I say for example "A yellow jumper", he will say "There is a yellow jumper, can we go home now?"

That's why I had a daughter, she is much better to shop with, although she never seems to have any cash on her! I just hand her my debit card, she knows the PIN by now.

What really gets me about my OH is that now we are (semi) retired, I would love to have coffee and cake out and just watch the world go by from a café, but he hates it. He doesn't like the coffee on offer, he says the chairs are uncomfortable and he is waiting for me to finish my coffee so we can go.

Oh well, its a good job I love him and he is quite useful around the house. smile

sarahellenwhitney Mon 16-Jul-18 13:17:40

Shopping together didn't last long when I assured DH I would put reins grinon him if he did not stop wandering off. I must have spent more time looking for him than doing any shopping. I also threatened him with a message I would have relayed throughout the three storey store.

Purpledaffodil Mon 16-Jul-18 13:27:02

shw ?I swear mine has Harry Potter’s Cloak of Invisibility. He can disappear in the smallest of shops. Sometimes he just reappears. Other times he’s outside looking pained.

Marmight Mon 16-Jul-18 13:51:55

My late DH loved shopping with me. He'd follow me like a shadow so I used to suggest he go off and do his own thing and we'd meet up in an hour. He was never at the arranged meeting place on time so I'd call his mobile. No answer. When he finally appeared he'd say Oh I left the phone in the car. Every single time. Used to drive me bonkers. What would I give for him to be driving me bonkers now!

pollyperkins Mon 16-Jul-18 13:54:59

If I go to a fitting room to try something on I come out to show DH and he's completely disappeared!
Agree with Lyndylou - if I say 'oh that looks nice' about a dress or top he says 'Well get it then and we'll go home'. He does not understand the concept of browsing. Much prefer to go with DD?

GrandmaKT Mon 16-Jul-18 14:00:21

Yes, I agree - never take my DH shopping! He usually disappears completely (often to another floor or another shop completely) - love the 'cloak of invisibility' analogy Pubpledaffodil! Of course he never takes/ answers his phone. If he does stay with me he will hover two inches behind me so I step on him every time I move!
However, many years ago I overheard a husband advising his wife on which sanitary pads to buy in Wilkos - so things could always be worse! shock