Gransnet forums

Chat

"Would you like the hangers?"

(55 Posts)
gmelon Sun 15-Jul-18 16:16:05

Any one else find the following familiar?

Shopping with other half. Purchase taking place, husband and I at till.
Shop assistant "Would you like to keep the hangers?"
Me "Ooh yes please."
Husband, very firmly "No, no we don't thank you."

I can read my husbands mind. He never says a word to me but;
Cue him stepping back in horror, bringing out his hanger phobia and going into full "how many hangers do you need, can't they just not ask you." Only in his mind though.

You would think the assistant had said "would you just like to strip naked Sir while i ring up your purchase."

Apricity Tue 17-Jul-18 02:50:50

I can't even begin to imagine why any woman would ever go shopping for clothes with her partner, husband, lover, main squeeze, whatever!. Sheer insanity. My body, my money, my clothes.

Grannyknot Tue 17-Jul-18 07:02:20

I often notice what I think of as "the dutiful husbands" trailing along behind their wives in the clothing section, looking like they'd rather be somewhere else. Or sitting forlornly on a bench outside the fitting rooms, surrounded by bags of shopping.

The above of course doesn't apply to the men who enjoy shopping with their wives/partners/main squeeze!

kittylester Tue 17-Jul-18 07:21:43

I like shopping with dh. He (mostly) has a good eye for what suits me and what I might like and encourages me to be a bit more 'adventurous' in style than I might be myself.

If we go shopping for him we always come home with something for me too.

pollyperkins Tue 17-Jul-18 13:06:24

I can hardly believe the discussion about coat hangers. It's a good thing none of you will ever look inside my wardrobe of assorted hangers, all free from shops where I've bought clothes or metal ones from the dry cleaners. I've never bought a hanger in my life! Why would I? I have more than enough free ones which are all perfectly adequate. The metal ones are the most useful as they will hold a top and trousers -I always take some on holiday as there are never enough in hotel rooms and also I use them for drying hand washing on in hotels by hooking to shower curtain rail. And it doesn't matter if I leave them behind!