Gransnet forums

Chat

"Would you like the hangers?"

(55 Posts)
gmelon Sun 15-Jul-18 16:16:05

Any one else find the following familiar?

Shopping with other half. Purchase taking place, husband and I at till.
Shop assistant "Would you like to keep the hangers?"
Me "Ooh yes please."
Husband, very firmly "No, no we don't thank you."

I can read my husbands mind. He never says a word to me but;
Cue him stepping back in horror, bringing out his hanger phobia and going into full "how many hangers do you need, can't they just not ask you." Only in his mind though.

You would think the assistant had said "would you just like to strip naked Sir while i ring up your purchase."

pollyperkins Tue 17-Jul-18 13:06:24

I can hardly believe the discussion about coat hangers. It's a good thing none of you will ever look inside my wardrobe of assorted hangers, all free from shops where I've bought clothes or metal ones from the dry cleaners. I've never bought a hanger in my life! Why would I? I have more than enough free ones which are all perfectly adequate. The metal ones are the most useful as they will hold a top and trousers -I always take some on holiday as there are never enough in hotel rooms and also I use them for drying hand washing on in hotels by hooking to shower curtain rail. And it doesn't matter if I leave them behind!

kittylester Tue 17-Jul-18 07:21:43

I like shopping with dh. He (mostly) has a good eye for what suits me and what I might like and encourages me to be a bit more 'adventurous' in style than I might be myself.

If we go shopping for him we always come home with something for me too.

Grannyknot Tue 17-Jul-18 07:02:20

I often notice what I think of as "the dutiful husbands" trailing along behind their wives in the clothing section, looking like they'd rather be somewhere else. Or sitting forlornly on a bench outside the fitting rooms, surrounded by bags of shopping.

The above of course doesn't apply to the men who enjoy shopping with their wives/partners/main squeeze!

Apricity Tue 17-Jul-18 02:50:50

I can't even begin to imagine why any woman would ever go shopping for clothes with her partner, husband, lover, main squeeze, whatever!. Sheer insanity. My body, my money, my clothes.

mcem Mon 16-Jul-18 22:54:23

What a man paddy! Aren't you fortunate?
Not so much the dress shopping spree - more having such a well-organised bloke.
Bet you don't have to pick up his dirty socks!

paddyann Mon 16-Jul-18 22:21:31

Oh and he likes his hangers all facing the same direction in the wardrobe with short sleeved shirts at one end and long sleeved at the other and suits on the bottom rail ..he has a seperate wardrobe for jackets and 4x 5 drawer chests for foldablle stuff

paddyann Mon 16-Jul-18 22:17:49

My OH loves shopping always has his own idea of what I suit and what I should buy.I hate shopping unless its for books or cd's or wine...and I dont even drink wine but I like my wine rack and wine fridge full.Yesterday we went shopping I came home with 5 thats FIVE new dresses.I've recently lost a bit of weight so OH decided as nothing fitted me anymore I needed to get new stuff.I must applaud him though they are all really nice dresses and a great fit so I wont need anything else new this summer .

mcem Mon 16-Jul-18 21:10:56

I found that the best time to clear out the hangers I no longer used was just as students returned after summer.
Put them in a bag with a note to 'Help yourself' and hang them on the front gate. They soon disappear (as do other items treated in the same way!).

Grannyknot Mon 16-Jul-18 20:09:00

gmelon My OH has way more clothes than me grin

rubysong Mon 16-Jul-18 19:15:23

We have just moved house and I was shocked how many coat hangers we had in the house. I sorted out the nice wooden and slim velvet ones to keep, wire ones for recycling, plastic ones to try and re-home (don't know where) and tied them all in bundles. When we opened the built in wardrobes in out new place, aargh,! Full of assorted coat hangers so I've had to start all over again. What shall I do with the ones I don't want?

gmelon Mon 16-Jul-18 18:19:49

Grannyknot

If he's supplying his own hangers then he's doing his own thing happily.
We had built in wardrobes, I kind of accidentally on purpose took over the whole lot in the end.

Grannyknot Mon 16-Jul-18 17:55:16

gmelon no - the hangers on my section of the wardrobe don't match/are happily assorted grin and I leave it up to him to sort himself with ones that are all the same, for his clothes. The sections are separate in a built in wardrobe, so he never opens my side (he would flinch) and I never seldom open his.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 16-Jul-18 16:39:29

Only shop with my husband when buying for him and even then its I have 2 jumpers why do I need another one? Because they are scruffy and have holes in them is my reply.

mcem Mon 16-Jul-18 16:23:55

Not at all gmelon.
I feel as if I 'm being an advocate for the improvement of wardrobe storage systems!

gmelon Mon 16-Jul-18 16:08:39

mcem
Only joking with you. Hope you haven't taken offence.

Madmartha Mon 16-Jul-18 16:04:08

My shopping bugbear is men trailing after their women in M&S lingerie department and other big stores. What are they doing there? Wait somewhere else for goodness sake, like in the cafe, I want a good browse through the undies without tripping over dozy men eyeing up the goods.

mcem Mon 16-Jul-18 16:03:10

gmelon I didn't stagger home! Simply bought a new pack of 10 and chucked out 10 old ones until they were all replaced! I did keep a few substantial plastic ones for drying clothes but there's no place for them in my wardrobe.

MiniMoon Mon 16-Jul-18 15:57:49

I always accept the hangers when offered them. My DD never has enough, and asks me for any spare ones. Mine are a mixture, some plastic, some wooden, and one or two home made padded hangers. One thing I do is to have them all facing in the same direction in the wardrobe.
I like having DH with me when I'm shopping. He knows what suits me better than I do.

Lyndylou Mon 16-Jul-18 15:40:56

My hangers are all the same, cream plastic, I don't like the wire ones or the velvety ones, but I can't imagine ever having to buy any more, like Rosieroe I think they breed at the bottom of the wardrobe, but the only way I would need more would be if I bought another wardrobe and I definitely don't have room for that. I just make sure I throw something out when I buy something new.

My OH wouldn't notice different or new hangers, he never hangs anything up, just works on a system of large piles, one of clean clothes and one of dirty, We have separate rooms to maintain my sanity.

gmelon Mon 16-Jul-18 15:11:02

*Grannyknot Sun 15-Jul-18 17:56:39
gmelon my husband can't cope at all if the hangers aren't all the same. So if I brought shop hangers home it would send him into overdrive.*

Do you buy them at the same shop, what would happen if they change the style or stop selling them?
I can imagine you staggering home with a replacement for every hanger in the house so they stay the same.

gmelon Mon 16-Jul-18 15:08:33

*Titian1948 Mon 16-Jul-18 14:40:54
What's it got to do with your husband whether or not you keep the hangers? I'd tell him to mind his own business*

Why would I do that? He's so easy going and never voices the little things that he sees as uneccessary.

He's a sweetheart and I call him my personal shopper, he finds the best stuff in any shop and brings it back to wherever I am browsing.

Befor anyone mentions it, no he's not controlling what I wear or buy. He has an eye for my taste in clothing.

gmelon Mon 16-Jul-18 14:59:11

MCEM and Mawbroon Similar to your vertical hanger there is a tip on youtube and some other sites about hanging your hangers vertically below each other using the pulls from cans of fizzy drink.

Sheilasue I'm not embarrassed he isn't rude at all.
We tend to come out with our conflicting comments at the same time to the amusement of the usually women asssistant who laughs and often says her husband is the same.

Lilylaundry Mon 16-Jul-18 14:50:38

LindyLou, our husbands must be related!

Once I said I wanted a black jumper, he saw one in a shop window and said 'that will do the job'. The shop was a man's clothes shop and the jumper he saw was xxxx.

We don't shop together, ever, apart from groceries, buying from a list.

Titian1948 Mon 16-Jul-18 14:40:54

What's it got to do with your husband whether or not you keep the hangers? I'd tell him to mind his own business!

lemongrove Mon 16-Jul-18 14:37:47

I always say ‘yes’ to hangers....well, it’s summat free, and I am from Yorkshire.grin