Gransnet forums

Chat

Dirty and Smelly Wheelie Bins

(73 Posts)
CleanBin Sun 29-Jul-18 17:58:54

During this hot weather has anyone had maggots appear in their wheelie bin for general waste?

Magrithea Mon 30-Jul-18 10:07:29

We have a waste disposal unit on the utility sink so most food waste goes into that!

grannypauline Mon 30-Jul-18 10:20:24

I live in South London and thanks to pollution and insecticides I hardly ever see a fly nowadays. At first I was very pleased but then I started to think about it. No flies, no bees, ....... no humans!

Grandma14 Mon 30-Jul-18 10:29:59

I wrap kitchen scraps in newspaper and put in the recycling food bin and that's now taken care of the maggot problem. Uncooked veg peelings, etc go in the compost bin. Haven't had maggots in the general rubbish bins at all but I do rinse out empty cans, etc first.

wot Mon 30-Jul-18 10:32:12

I give my a good spray with fly killer and shut the lid quickly.

Kerenhappuch Mon 30-Jul-18 10:36:15

W've been given a 'counter-top compost caddy' by the local authority, and have suffered a plague of house flies and fruit flies, despite keeping it firmly closed. (Apart from the times my DH simply couldn't remember to close it). We were told to tip the food waste into our garden rubbish wheelie bin, and that's full of flies as well. This was all in the interests of cutting down rubbish collections.

I've bought an electric fly killer and am setting fruit -fly traps, but it's taken ages to get on top of it, even after banishing the compost bin till the cooler weather.

LouLou21 Mon 30-Jul-18 10:37:21

I live in a gated complex, huge bins inside a brick storehouse, awful smell and flies everywhere. Also NO recyclingshock

Lilyflower Mon 30-Jul-18 10:39:26

Jesus fluid. That's made my day.

Misha14 Mon 30-Jul-18 10:44:27

Plastic bags in bins! Please no. We are trying to cut down on plastic. Our food/general bin gets emptied once a fortnight, which is crazy in the summer and I wrap food in newspaper and hope for the best. So far, so good, but I have had maggots in the past. Most veg matter goes in my compost bin and is emptied regularly into the bin in the garden. If I need to wash out the wheelie bin I use washing up liquid and boiling water.

Legs55 Mon 30-Jul-18 10:55:15

I have a caddy for the kitchen & food waste bin which is emptied every week, everything is bagged & lids kept tightly closed so no maggot problem. Not many flies in the house but I think the spiders take care of themgrin

I have some Jeyes powder which I sprinkle in the general rubbish bin as I can't manage to clean it, Food Waste bins are small enough to wash outhmm

Pittcity Mon 30-Jul-18 10:59:40

We have dedicated food waste bins too and use compostable food bags to line them. These are collected weekly.
I have had an army of ants around the bins in the hot weather though.

TillyWhiz Mon 30-Jul-18 11:02:02

Our bin men have told us how grateful they are we use the compostable bin bags for the food waste bin! Even so all bins have a sniff from me after they are emptied and if there is a whiff, standing outside for a while (the bins not me) with a soak of hot water, Flash, and disinfectant does the trick.

Maggieanne Mon 30-Jul-18 11:04:14

I give as much waste food to the birds as I can, they are quite happy with bits of meat scraps, they love apple/pear cores and most other things. I wouldn't dream of using a black bin bag, what's the point, you're just adding to the plastic that we can't get rid of. I also found that if you have house plants, you should never water from the top, the flies love moist soil, so, water in the saucer, usually does the trick.

valeriej43 Mon 30-Jul-18 11:21:51

A few weeks ago,i was horrified to find my wheelie bin crawling with maggot on the day due to be emptied
I use black bin bags and everything except recyclables goes in it, including food waste but wrapped in newspaper,
I throw any left over cat food down the toilet,[meat not biscuits]
I had to drag everything out and poured bleach only slightly diluted over all the bags and washed bin out with it, took ages,
I always wash and disinfect the bin out after being emptied so no idea how maggots ended up in there,
Only takes an odd fly to get in i expect

valeriej43 Mon 30-Jul-18 11:29:16

Black in bags inside my kitchen bin i mean, not a very large one in actual wheelie bin
If not there would be more flies ,

Margs Mon 30-Jul-18 11:33:02

Well, I seal up waste in bin liners before popping the stuff into the bin and when its emptied I give the inside a generous spray with Detox and then leave the lid open for a couple of hours. Seems to keep the bin fairly pong and maggot free.

quizqueen Mon 30-Jul-18 11:44:41

I'm afraid I regularly get maggots in the outside bin as the cat always leaves scraps of cat food which gets put in the black bag. She also has made a lot of killings this year as, I guess, wildlife is coming closer to the house in search of water, so there's also shrew, mice and, sadly, bird bodies.

Also, my daughter is bringing one rubbish bag a week to put in my outside bin as she only has space for one in her cubby hole with her flat and she has an excess of nappies, breast and sanitary pads (and cat litter) having given birth recently.

Luckily, refuse is collected weekly and a quick swish around with bleach or washing up liquid and water cleans the bin out and the birds can then eat the maggots so it's extra food for them. I'm not squirmish at all so it doesn't bother me. It's all part of the cycle of nature. I compose my own vegetable peelings, tea bags and egg shells as my council doesn't collect food waste,

quizqueen Mon 30-Jul-18 11:46:11

compost, not compose!

thuberon Mon 30-Jul-18 11:50:09

My horrified DH discovered maggots in the bottom of our black bin. He then followed instruction to clean it out, only to discover on finishing that the bin men had swapped next doors' bin and ours, and it was next doors' maggots he had had the pleasure of dealing with.

muddynails Mon 30-Jul-18 12:09:33

Always use them to go fishing. Seriously though was quite a common occurrence before the days of polythene bags, remember people used to set fire to their bins (metal in those days) And another good way to annoy your neighbours ......grin

gulligranny Mon 30-Jul-18 12:16:04

I did get maggots in the food waste bin in spite of lining it with newspaper and using a compostable bin liner - really disgusting but dealt with by lots of hot water and bleach.

Sadly our bin-cleaning service was discontinued and we can't find another one; it was good value as they washed out the green (garden waste) bin during the summer and the blue (tins, plastic etc) in winter. We do our best to wash them out but as they are nearly as tall as we are, it's a bit difficult!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 30-Jul-18 12:56:13

Not this year, oddly enough, or last, but the first year we lived here we did.

But I rinse out the bin in soapy water when it has been emptied, but I honestly do not think that can make such a difference, as our household rubbish is only collected once a fortnight.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 30-Jul-18 12:59:05

I don't use bin bags either, as I am trying to cut down on use of plastic in our household. All vegetable waste, egg shells and half our coffee grounds go into the compost. Can't put all the coffee grounds in, so half go in the dustbin.

annifrance Mon 30-Jul-18 13:02:27

Large communal wheelie bin, never been cleaned out to my knowledge, incredibly hot SW France, never had maggots.

Willow500 Mon 30-Jul-18 13:11:06

We used to have a wheelie bin cleaner who followed the bin wagon round but he gave up as I believe he had issues with his van. I asked my husband to clean ours out with his jet wash a few months ago but we can't seem to co-ordinate the emptying with him being at home to do it. I don't put food waste directly into the bin and any dead mice courtesy of our cat are sealed into plastic bags before anything can escape so thankfully we haven't had maggots so far this year!

GabriellaG Mon 30-Jul-18 13:19:16

That's exactly what I do SpringyChicken and the bins dry remarkably quickly. IMO, there is no need to clean out the recycling bin every time it's emptied as everything in it is clean...well, mine is.