Gransnet forums

Chat

Talking of taking stuff on holidays, what about bringing stuff home?

(52 Posts)
Daddima Mon 30-Jul-18 12:20:45

I’ve long since given this up, preferring to keep the treats for on holiday. I brought rusks back from Greece to make frigania, but it wasn’t the same, nor was the San Valentin wine from the Canary Islands. I know friends who go to Lidl when they’ve got Greek/Italian/French weeks, but I don’t bother.
When working, we all brought back biscuits or sweets from our holiday.

Squiffy Mon 30-Jul-18 12:23:21

We've given up, too, Daddima. Whatever it was that we enjoyed on holiday just wasn't the same on home ground sad I think some things just need that 'little something' that actually being on holiday provides!

gillybob Mon 30-Jul-18 12:28:11

I once brought a litre bottle of vodka back from a holiday (much cheaper in the airport) thinking that I would enjoy a nice tall glass of Vodka and Orange on the patio at home. It turns out that it wasn't the Vodka and Orange I had enjoyed so much as the view while I was drinking it.

Pittcity Mon 30-Jul-18 12:46:55

I bring back instant lemon tea from France. Much nicer than the UK version and in a huge tub.

M0nica Mon 30-Jul-18 21:09:59

Pittcity What is the make of the lemon tea and is it usually found in the beverages aisle with coffee and tea. I have found lemon tea bags, not quite the equivalent, but never instant lemon te,. which I really like.

Oh, what supermarket where? possibly it hasn't made its way up to Normandy and Leclerc where we go regularly.

Pittcity Tue 31-Jul-18 08:40:52

Sorry Monica, I can't remember the brand name. It is usually in the drinks aisle with those tea bags....or maybe with the soft drinks?
It's largish granules in a big plastic jar.
It was Intermarche where I last bought some.

TwiceAsNice Tue 31-Jul-18 08:56:31

I used to bring back some little souvenir when I went abroad but I don't fly often now. When we used to go to Holland I would bring back sate ( peanut) sauce which is so tasty and a certain brand of coffee. We now regularly holiday in France again by car. I always bring back their garlic mayo which is vastly superior to ours and their plain chocolate ditto. I always brought back biscuits or sweets for colleagues when I was working full time too.

Yiayia4 Tue 31-Jul-18 08:57:44

I always bring back honey from Greece lovely with yogurt or porridge.

morethan2 Tue 31-Jul-18 08:59:58

This year it was Greek mountain tea and olive oil and a little pebble from our favourite beach.

grannypauline Tue 31-Jul-18 09:44:18

Reminds me to pass on some advice. A couple of expat friends have confirmed that the supermarkets in the North France ports are well known to sell rubbish wine because they know the Brits will buy it. Better to go to a nearby small town supermarket and watch what the granny buys there!

curlilox Tue 31-Jul-18 09:54:18

Be careful if you have to stop off on the way back. My dd went to Canada and bought everyone maple syrup in duty free before boarding. At Glasgow she had to leave the plane and go through security again and they confiscated it all! shock

Lilyflower Tue 31-Jul-18 09:58:05

I bought some supermarket Parmesan in Italy only to find it rock hard and inedible and more expensive than you can buy here in the UK. Ditto Prosecco and many other Italian goodies.

GrandmasueUK Tue 31-Jul-18 10:00:26

I always bring back port, sardines, sardine pate and Pastel de Nata from Portugal, but I buy them at the supermarket, rather than the touristy places. As my son and his family live there they have shown me the best places to get them. In return I take them Yorkshire tea, sausages, Oxo and Mr Kipling's French Fancies.

crystaltips46 Tue 31-Jul-18 10:04:01

Yiayia4 - Aren't you aware that honey is one of the items that is not allowed to be brought into this country?

maryhoffman37 Tue 31-Jul-18 10:07:40

Funghi porcini stock cubes from Italy.

Lindylo Tue 31-Jul-18 10:09:20

Herbs and spices from Italy and cheese from France.

Witzend Tue 31-Jul-18 10:12:38

More than once I've brought vacuum packed lounza (sp?) ham back from Cyprus - hard to find here but it's very nice and makes a tasty present for family.

Used to bring cheese back from France, especially Epoisses, for a dd who loves it, but the last lot stank the fridge out so badly despite being very well wrapped, that that's a thing of the past now. .
Incidentally a friend of a dd once had a few pieces of French soft cheese confiscated from her hand baggage at Charles de Gaulle, since they said it counted as a liquid! She was extremely upset.

tiztina2 Tue 31-Jul-18 10:13:50

crystaltips46 - you can bring back honey if you buy it within the EU. Honey from outside the EU is not allowed.

cheneslieges132 Tue 31-Jul-18 10:15:54

crystaltips46 - read the Government guidelines: all fully explained - and yes, you CAN bring honey from EU countries. www.gov.uk/guidance/personal-food-plant-and-animal-product-imports

Kim19 Tue 31-Jul-18 10:18:52

Guess I'm becoming even more lazy than I thought. I never bring anything home either in food or gift form. Certainly used to. Toting the luggage is enough for me without added extras these days.

Yiayia4 Tue 31-Jul-18 10:41:56

Had no idea crystaltips46 ,have brought it back for years as many of my friends and family have.

Outtawork Tue 31-Jul-18 11:00:15

l buy quench a lemon tea from iceland or lift instant lemon tea from tesco,

ValC Tue 31-Jul-18 11:15:53

When my sister and I used to go to Turkey we always brought back a bottle Raki, then in the summer evenings we would sit in the gardens with our Raki and Lemondade and it was just as good . Unfortunately my sister has passed away so it is now just a treasured memory.

Northernlass Tue 31-Jul-18 11:30:19

Aldi's Aperol equivalent, along with their £5.99 Prosecco to make Aperol Spritz, immediately takes me back to sun-drenched Tuscany!

sarahellenwhitney Tue 31-Jul-18 11:43:15

When visiting family in the U.S I have always brought, to take home, a supply of the brands of coffee not available in the UK .Somehow though it never tastes as nice at home or is it down to the water?. On one occasion when at the airport having my bags searched I was given a strange look and asked by U.S customs on noticing my rather large stock of coffee 'can't you get coffee in your country'?