Gransnet forums

Chat

Lord of the flies

(36 Posts)
lemongrove Mon 06-Aug-18 08:17:20

Anyone else fed up with clearing away dead flies and chasing away live ones?
Our conservatory needs cleaning up every morning, so DH came up with the idea of sucking them all up with the hoover ( the stick bit of it) works well and saves me a job.

pollyperkins Mon 06-Aug-18 18:22:40

No Lemongrove I'm not from Paddington Green nor could I be described as pretty or little unfortunately! But I do like the song.

Melanieeastanglia Mon 06-Aug-18 19:32:22

Oddly, I've seen very few flies this year. Perhaps I am lucky. I used to have plenty of them in my previous home and I used to put fly papers up which worked well.

Like pollyperkins, I thought this was going to be a thread about the book Lord of the Flies.

lemongrove Mon 06-Aug-18 19:36:32

grin we can discuss the book as well if anyone wants to,but a very long time since I read it, although William Golding is a favourite author of mine ( the Fire Down Below series.)

pollyperkins Tue 07-Aug-18 09:01:57

Oh it's years since I read it and I can't remember the detail but remember the deep impression it made on me.
Yes we have a bit of a fly problem as we live in the country and when it is hot DH flings open all the doors and windows. I go round shutting them and using my fly swat. Don't like to use spray (especially in the kitchen) although I have resorted to it in the past. I just try to keep all food covered!

Rufus2 Tue 07-Aug-18 12:54:18

A fly screen is a good idea, but they come in the windows as well
Lemongrove; Not sure what your fly screen looks like, but from the "land of flies", big and small, fly screens are essential for hygiene and a comfortable night's sleep. They are custom-made to fit every door and window and made of a fine mesh aluminium "fibre" or similar in polyester.
They can be fitted with keyed locks so that main doors and windows can be left fully open to catch any cooling breezes, whilst maintaining some security. We appear to have several GNs with Aussie connections and who might care to confirm this.
I remember our (new) house when we arrived was not fitted and were nearly bitten to death by mozzies which were attracted to my darling Vera like a magnet. So she had them fitted quick smart. smile
Fortunately they leave me alone, probably because I'm a natural repellent. grin Good Luck!

lemongrove Tue 07-Aug-18 12:57:48

Interesting Rufus and I expect, living where you do that you really need it every year.
We don’t usually have such a problem, it seems to be just this long hot Summer.
Due to break soon, though, cooler and a bit of rain due, hurrah.

JackyB Tue 07-Aug-18 13:46:19

My goodness, what with fly papers and fly screens, they'll have plenty to read and plenty to watch - they shouldn't really be bothering us, should they?

pollyperkins Tue 07-Aug-18 17:09:35

Yes Rufus -I remember being in a hluse in Australia and tgere were indeed fly screens on windows and doors, so you could leave them open but flying insects could not get in.
However, we don't generally need them here.

Rufus2 Wed 08-Aug-18 08:13:05

When camping, carry small bags of bone dry cow dung. Light it upwind of wherever you are with some coals from the camp fire - there's no smell and it keeps the flies away.
JackyB; Very clever! Try this! Taken from a reliable Aussie source, but not recommended for indoor use! grin
Btw; Aussie flies are much bigger a stronger than their Pommie counterparts so can carry smartphones and are therefore more "with it"!

Maggiemaybe Wed 08-Aug-18 09:00:50

We don’t have a problem in the house at the moment, and phew for that. But I’m a veritable fly magnet outdoors, to the extent that I seem to have a rare talent that could be harnessed. Any experts out there who want to gather up fly specimens, I’m your woman. We took two of the grandsons to an event at the local park yesterday and I had so many followers whirling in a cloud above my head (yes, just mine) that I saw people actually pointing and laughing. grin Perhaps I am indeed the Lord (or Lady) of the Flies?