Gransnet forums

Chat

Yuck yuck

(74 Posts)
BlueBelle Wed 29-Aug-18 08:29:17

I had a funny old night last night I had an evening snooze around 7 (not unheard of) except I woke at 11 15 pm I then went up to bed, I played on my iPad for half and hour then went back to sleep until 5 am
However when I woke at 11.15 I went into the kitchen to have a drink before going upstairs and was horrified to find FOUR yes four big old slugs on my kitchen floor
apologies to all wild life lovers but I ve now got to go and buy a new tub of salt today
I find them really yucky creatures I think it’s the horrible slime and the baldness
Do you find any insect really repulsive and yuk making?

b1zzle Wed 29-Aug-18 11:12:53

Slugs and wasps|? Ugh! What is the purpose of them?

Purplepoppies Wed 29-Aug-18 11:13:05

I had a tickling feeling on my back the other day. I asked my mum what it was, thinking I had a hair or something....
It was a bloody caterpillar!!!
I absolutely freaked out (unnecessarily probably) and took my top off whilst screaming several swear words! Poor step father ?.
Anyway, I named it Bastarding Baldric, put it outside, and told him I hope he got eaten by birds!!!
I'm very happy it wasn't a slug.....

peaches50 Wed 29-Aug-18 11:22:08

Shivering with disgust. Don't look too closely - I did and saw that some of the bigger ones have fleas - can they be more revolting? Smaller ones came in when I put my indoor plants out for a cooling drink and wash in the rain. I know 'cos when I tipped one pot out to repot there they were nestled together at the bottom ugh ugh ugh. Tried copper ring round the tops as advised but still got them in. Yes in old house they came in via minute cracks under patio door and the builder said the air vents/bricks. Salt the bs is my advice. Yes all things have a right to live but the feel of them between my toes when I went for that night drink....

Farmnanjulie Wed 29-Aug-18 11:24:00

Slugs are vile!! Slimey,rubbery,horrible grey ,green and black, I'm with you there!! Dont have a problems with any other insects! You should see my husband with spiders!! He is a 6 ft 4 rugby playing Yorkshire farmer,he squeels like a girl ! He won't enter a room,or go up the stairs if there is or was one there!

I have to catch it ,I don't my mind,but in have to prove it ,by showing a little bit of it in my hands,if I show to much he dissapears outside,he stands yards away and I have stopped show him I have it!!

This is because one was to fast for me once ,and I pretended I had it,!I am the worse liar,I might as well have a large neon arrow over my head , saying LIAR,

Of course he asked me to prove I had it and I couldn't! He has never forgiven me!
He will stand on chairs,gathering his jean legs and holding them in,and shreiking!

My thing is "bats" yuk! Yuk! Yuk !

Farmnanjulie Wed 29-Aug-18 11:25:06

Sorry for dodgy grammar! Not wearing specs!

Legs55 Wed 29-Aug-18 11:43:58

Slugs, YUK, I had a small one on my bedroom floor the other night. Snails don't survive if I find them, we once had one crawling up the outside of our house, it had almost reached 1st floor window ledge, who says they can't crawl over rough surfacesconfused. Liberal use of "friendly" not to slugs/snails slug pellets in the garden & always salt to hand in case I haven't got my trowel/spadegrin

Don't mind spiders or frogs or even bats. I can even cope with the shrews/mice the cat brings inhmm

As for wasps, enter my house & it's certain death

JudyJudy12 Wed 29-Aug-18 11:46:59

Since I have lived here,about 18 months, I have not seen a slug because my garden is full of slow worms. I have always hated slugs but would prefer them to slow worms that are not slow at all.

Bagatelle Wed 29-Aug-18 11:51:16

Oh, the poor things! What a horrible death! They couldn't help being born slugs!

Whack 'em with a shovel.

Willow500 Wed 29-Aug-18 11:54:54

I hate slugs too - we used to get them coming in the redundant dishwasher pipe before the kitchen was done - horrid things!

I came down this morning and saw my boy cat looking down the hallway as I went to feed them - didn't notice anything when I put the light on but he was peering down the step again after his breakfast so I went to look and he'd brought another mouse in but this one was still alive nestling into the corner. Quickly covered it with a glass while I ran up to get my spider catcher - one like someone mentioned above - a plastic pyramid with a sliding door. Managed to remove the glass and slip the catcher over the beast but it was a little too snug for it so the poor thing was squashed up with his foot and tail hanging out! Anyway managed to get it to the flowerbed and release it where it looked a bit stunned for a second before disappearing off into the undergrowth! No doubt he'll find it again tonight only it might not be so lucky!

GreenGran78 Wed 29-Aug-18 12:07:44

Squiffy. Don't you know that slugs are experts at teleportation?

Teacheranne Wed 29-Aug-18 12:25:31

I have had slugs in my kitchen overnight during spring months for the past three years, I cannot find where they are coming in as there trails seem to start and end randomly! I salt them then chuck them out the back door! At least they move very slowly and are easy to catch, unlike the spiders that come in during Autumn. Mind you, I have those daddy long leg type spiders all year round, some very small and others much larger but they do not scuttle across the floor but hang out in corners of the room so I cam bash them! I do a spider hunt every morning and evening before I go to bed! I have just bought a spider catcher from Lakeland to use this year if I see any big hairy ones!

annifrance Wed 29-Aug-18 12:30:25

Loads of slugs and very large snails always in our gardens, as well as crickets, lizards, horseflies, hornets etc. Hey ho it's southern France.

So now we have a snail farm and eat them.

My OH is snake phobic, he just found a large grass snake in the compost, with a baby rat in it's mouth. It slithered away, he went back a couple of hours later and it had another baby rat in its mouth with mother rat watching. Bizarre. However I have managed to persuade OH not to kill said snake as it will eat baby rats, slugs et al so an advantage. Adder policy is kill the b----r, yes I know they are protected but too many dogs and young children on our property in the summer, and I'm not prepared to take the consequences from an adder bite.

I can't stand spiders and get bitten by them to which I react. they crawl out of the lime mortar of 2ft thick walls. So I spray with spider spray. Sorry about that spider lovers, but it's me or them.

squirrel5 Wed 29-Aug-18 13:00:38

The only time we had slugs was in our previous house,and they came in at night through the little gap next to the plumbing cold water pipe, and came after the cat food which was in a bowl on the kitchen floor, the gap was filled,so no more slugs,we have moved house since then and have no indoor pets,only a fishpond.......so perhaps they go into houses looking for pet food,??can they smell it??

PECS Wed 29-Aug-18 13:14:40

Disgusting alert: My nephew at crawling stage was seen chewing something unknown. When my SiL put her finger into his mouth to scoop out contents ..it was slug shock

I try a range of slug deterrent/removal in my garden from beer traps to heavy watering at dusk then slug patrol with a torch. Best haul was over 30 in 1/2 hour. I put them into my compost bin.. then add pellets...sorry slug lovers. I know there are good/ bad slugs but I really am not sure, in torchlight which is which!

Jane10 Wed 29-Aug-18 13:19:47

I posted last month about fundi g a slug on the toilet bowl! We live in a 4th floor flat. I didn't want to be flushed away and fought back against my loo paper wrapped long wooden spoon. Yuk!

Grannyguitar Wed 29-Aug-18 13:34:18

PernillaVanilla - I always put scrumpled newspaper in the tops of my wellies when I leave them - keeps out the nasties!

Helennonotion Wed 29-Aug-18 13:56:41

We have slugs in the house now and again. Just when we think we have filled all the cracks they re appear. They are really clever at finding ways to circumnavigate rooms. They use the skirting boards and squirm along the metal carpet thresholds because its smoother. Then start to crawl on the carpets. No trail for a few inches because they hadnt yet excreted the slime, therefore look like they come out of nowhere! When it gets bad we lift up a floorboard and put a load of slug pellets down. (we use beer in the garden) Since the very dry weather we haven't had any problems in the house so fingers crossed! They do seem to get through the smallest cracks!

pollyperkins Wed 29-Aug-18 14:06:50

Sorry to be pedantic but when op asks about yukky insects most of the replies are about snails, slugs, spiders, frogs, snakes, or centipedes , none of which are insects! Apart from flies and wasps no actual inscts were mentioned! (Oh, and the caterpillar, sorry!) Thought the thread would be about cockroaches and ants!
In another life I once studied entomology so I get a bit twitchy about the word insect being used wrongly.
By the way one 'point' of wasps is that they attack and keep down numbers of several garden pests. (But I still don't like them!)

petra Wed 29-Aug-18 14:17:51

If you don't want slugs start spraying nematodes next March and every 6 weeks from then on. I think I had about 4 this year.

Day6 Wed 29-Aug-18 14:27:24

The Buddhist (ahem) in me hates killing anything - even snails - but I loathe them and blue bottles. They make me feel sick. OH protects his garden plants as if they were his children so I let him deal with the slugs - out of sight. Squashed slug is an even worse thought! I will take a swatter to the horrid flies that get in the house too - so no Nirvana for me, alas! grin

poppycat1 Wed 29-Aug-18 14:33:21

I find slugs come into my kitchen to eat the cat's biscuits!

Craftycat Wed 29-Aug-18 15:06:50

We get them on conservatory where they eat the cat food. I have no idea how they get in as it is closed up.
I have a slug trap in there but I loathe the horrid things. No problem with spiders especially this year with so many yucky flies around.

wot Wed 29-Aug-18 15:13:14

What I can't abide is Maybugs. I can't kill anything though, except flies. And writing long posts on GN PMs and them vanishing.

glammagran Wed 29-Aug-18 15:27:59

Liz46 absolutely detest earwigs too. And slugs which used to crawl into the cat food we left out for hedgehogs - when we had them. Haven’t seen live hedgehog for years.

willa45 Wed 29-Aug-18 17:13:48

Years ago, when we lived in our old house, our DD2 and her playmates were in the back yard enjoying our water sprinkler on a hot summer day.

A short while later, I heard the most blood curdling screams emanating from outside and I ran. It seems that DD2 was heading for the kitchen via the back porch when she stepped on a live slug with her bare foot. She looked down in horror and became hysterical! When the other little girls realized, they began screaming too. The ruckus was so bad, that my neighbor came out of her house, prepared to call 911 Emergency!