Gransnet forums

Chat

Yuck yuck

(74 Posts)
BlueBelle Wed 29-Aug-18 08:29:17

I had a funny old night last night I had an evening snooze around 7 (not unheard of) except I woke at 11 15 pm I then went up to bed, I played on my iPad for half and hour then went back to sleep until 5 am
However when I woke at 11.15 I went into the kitchen to have a drink before going upstairs and was horrified to find FOUR yes four big old slugs on my kitchen floor
apologies to all wild life lovers but I ve now got to go and buy a new tub of salt today
I find them really yucky creatures I think it’s the horrible slime and the baldness
Do you find any insect really repulsive and yuk making?

callgirl1 Wed 29-Aug-18 17:21:26

I hate all insects apart from butterflies and ladybirds, in fact, for hate substitute terrified.
My hubby used to say I was barmy, I love butterflies yet am scared of moths, love handling caterpillars and snakes, but show me a worm...…….!!
I don`t want them in the house obviously, but otherwise I love mice, they`re cute, rats don`t scare me, they`re big mice really, lost count how ,many mice I`ve rescued from the cat, even a grass snake on one occasion.
I hate slugs, they`re double yucky, but I like snails, even though they`re only a slug with a shell I suppose, I think it`s the prettily patterned shells that I like.

dianetheartist Wed 29-Aug-18 17:31:29

we had seen a few trails in garage from a slug but couldn't see it... then one morning lol and behold what had set the mouse trap off--yes a HUGE black slug... it was vile...but it obviously fancied some chocolate that we had baited the trap with...

Chewbacca Wed 29-Aug-18 17:46:00

I loathe slugs and cannot bare to look at them ,let alone pick them up on a shovel and move them. I buy slug pellets in industrial quantities.
Earlier this summer I had a small brown lizard crawling across my living room floor and up the skirting boards. I had to call DS out to come and get it out. Can't stand things that slither.

callgirl1 Wed 29-Aug-18 18:36:55

I don`t mind lizards, a friend who lives in Lanzarote says she has gecko lizards all the time on her living room walls.

Gaggi3 Wed 29-Aug-18 19:10:46

Don’t mind spiders but loathe slugs- how do they get in the house? I think we are seeing so many because of the shrinking hedgehog population.

Shizam Wed 29-Aug-18 20:03:04

Not an insect, obvs, my nemesis is mice. I’m like a cartoon character jumping onto furniture when I see them. As for rats, verge on panic attack. Don’t mind spiders, slugs, etc. I blame my mother for passing on this phobia!

sheilann734 Wed 29-Aug-18 20:04:38

We sometimes get a really small one in the conservatory in the Autumn. I get the dustpan and take them outside. They are horrible things. We dont get many slugs in the garden but have always had a snail problem . Last year at the end of the season DH took down all the ivy that was covering our 3 fences bordering the garden and this year there was no snail problem so I think they must have been hiding in the ivy.

BlueBelle Wed 29-Aug-18 20:17:42

I cannot for the life of me work out how the darn things get in the house I thought it might be through the tumble dryer hole in the wall but I checked it today and it’s totally blocked and no way anything could get through that so still don’t know ....total mystery I ve had odd ones get in before but four at once and I hadn’t even been out the door yesterday as it was so rainy I don’t have any pets so they weren’t after their food

Happysexagenarian Wed 29-Aug-18 20:18:55

Slugs and spiders are my worst nightmares, especially spiders! I've just invested in a spider catcher ready for the Autumn invasion.

jacq10 Wed 29-Aug-18 23:25:40

Never used to worry about slugs too much until two years ago we were invaded with "Spanish slugs" - enormous orange ones that just devour anything in their path. Used the old method of picking them up and putting in bag of salt but it was really bad this year so put down pellets and it has worked. In the morning they are all shrivelled up. Using the pellets has also saved my hostas from the snails.

BlueBelle Thu 30-Aug-18 06:54:47

You do have to be careful with the pellets as not all are bird friendly you do have to look on the tub to make sure that it says Bird and pet friendly though

jacq10 Thu 30-Aug-18 08:10:45

Don't worry BlueBelle. Did a lot of research before I gave in to the pellets!

BlueBelle Thu 30-Aug-18 08:19:11

Ahh wasn’t meaning to question you Jacq just a general message

Bathsheba Thu 30-Aug-18 08:21:13

We've been plagued with slugs indoors ever since we moved to this house many years ago. Sometimes if I go outside late on a wet summers evening I can see the whole garden literally crawling with the things shock. And throughout the summer one of the last jobs before bed is to get rid of the slugs in the kitchen (usually accompanied by "night love, I'm off to bed - I've put the slugs out").
This year though, for the first time ever, we've not had much of a problem with them. I don't know whether the eggs were killed off in the unusually cold winter or if the dry, hot summer has kept them at bay. Probably a combination of both. Long may it last!

Bathsheba Thu 30-Aug-18 08:28:59

BlueBelle I've seen slugs squeezing themselves through the tiniest gap imaginable - through between the kitchen plinths and floor for example! They don't need an open door or a big hole. If your house is an older style with a suspended floor, they will squeeze through under the floorboards and get in through a minuscule gap between floor and wall. My DH has pulled all the appliances out, sealed all the gaps with sealant, we have uPVC double glazed door and windows, but the little buggers still find a way in angry

harrigran Thu 30-Aug-18 08:41:01

I don't see many slugs but we seem to have quite a few hedgehogs that like to use the little patio in front of my house as a public toilet.
We have seen the hedgehogs, on the CCTV, running down the drive, next morning lots of little hedgehog poos.

Bathsheba Thu 30-Aug-18 08:47:41

harri I'd love some of your hedgehogs! They eat slugs smile

annodomini Thu 30-Aug-18 09:15:38

I have a small cellar - actually the coal cellar when the house was a miner's cottage. I was horrified when I went down to get something out of the freezer and saw a large slug crawling up the front of it. I got rid of it and fetched the canister of slug pellets to scatter round the base of the freezer but it's beyond me to get round the back where there must be a small fissure.

pollyperkins Thu 30-Aug-18 14:23:28

Found a butterfly in the bathroom today and I don't know how to remove it without harming it. I've opened the window and it keeps fluttering on the glass but nowhwre near the opened bit. Any suggestions?

Jobey68 Thu 30-Aug-18 20:45:06

We get slugs in the house too, they are my worst nightmare , pointless useless things as far as I'm concerned and they freak me the hell out! I stood on one barefoot years ago going out in the garden in the dark and I've never recovered!! ??

Scooter58 Thu 30-Aug-18 23:16:58

Hate them,can deal with them no problem in the garden,but they come into my kitchen where my dog Dexter sleeps,have closed up every nook and cranny but still they come in,thank god he ignores them as so worried he gets lungworm from them ?

labazs Fri 31-Aug-18 08:03:11

please be careful with slug pellets they dont do wildlife much good hedgehogs do eat some slugs but they can cause them worms bloating and death so not particularly good for them and only eat them in an emergency do encourage hedgehogs though they eat other things

ValC Sun 02-Sep-18 20:29:50

I hate them. The other day I had got out of my car to unlock the garage and as I was getting back in I saw the biggest, slimiest slug on my car mat. I scraped it of with the bottom of the car door, then put the mat in my washing machine. I now need a new set of car mats as it shrunk and went so limp it was good for nothing.