Gransnet forums

Chat

Why can't they......

(29 Posts)
sunseeker Mon 17-Sep-18 11:21:33

....make planes soundproof!!! I have just returned from holiday and my ears are still ringing from the noise of the plane engines.

annep Tue 18-Sep-18 11:02:48

I get what you're saying sunseeker but there are couples who work very and still can't afford holidays because their wages are low.

GreenGran78 Tue 18-Sep-18 11:32:43

Annep. I know what you mean. Bringing up 5 children all we could afford was the occasional camping holiday. Even when they all left home money was still fairly tight, due to my husband having to retire early because of poor health.

I became a widow three years ago, and we decided that it made sense for my unmarried son to move in with me.
He makes a good contribution to the household budget, even though I now have to pay for rates, dental treatment etc, and have lost my pension credit.

For the first time ever I have some spare cash. I have been able to visit my three children and their families in Australia, and take a few other inexpensive holidays. I am so lucky. Having a man about the house to help is a big bonus, too.
As for noisy planes - I can't sleep on them, even if I remove my hearing aid, and can rarely make out what is said to me. My head is buzzing after the 26-hour flight to Australia!

annep Tue 18-Sep-18 11:55:39

Hi Greengran I'm so happy that you are able to travel now. You must get so much pleasure from it especially trips to see the family in Australia. You make me ashamed of my fear of flying!
Its a fact of life that some of us will be better off than others and its not always related to effort.
Incidentally I hope you have checked that you are getting all the benefits to which you are entitled. So many go unclaimed every year according to statistics.