Gransnet forums

Chat

Life begins at 70

(75 Posts)
Flossieturner Thu 27-Sep-18 12:30:05

All my life I have been a people pleaser. I have never wanted to assert my own wants over others. Last year, as my 70th birthday was approaching, I started to reassess my life.

For 10 years I had wanted a garden make-over, but my husband was very resistant. Then on my 69th birthday I thought, ‘why not’ so I called a landscaper and now have a lovely, easy to manage, garden.

Another wish, that I had had, all my life, was to own a dog. That dream came true at on Boxing Day when I picked her up from the rescue centre.

My final fling concerns my hair, stupid I know! I loath going to the hairdresser. I feel really I intimidated but I am no good a doing it myself. So I have let it grow and can now put it up in a bun. It was very hard, as it spent a very long time in the scruffy stage. After a few false starts, it is long enough and it is such a relief.

All the things, although trivial in themselves, have had a huge effect on my happiness. Having reached my 70 this year, I feel more contented than I can remember for a long time.

Any one else done anything liberating?

merlotgran Thu 27-Sep-18 13:30:57

Good for you, Flossie. When I look back on my sixties all I can remember is working until 64, racing up and down various motorways trying to combine granny duties with caring for my elderly mother, DH's stroke, retiring -which meant working just as hard on our high maintenance property, building a granny annexe and coping with DH's health issues.

I was 70 last year and thought, Phew! I'm jolly well going to enjoy this decade come hell or high water. It's a liberating thought even if it doesn't pan out.

gillybob Thu 27-Sep-18 13:38:39

Roll on 70 then ! smile

Good for you both claiming your lives back Flossie and Merlot

Lynne59 Thu 27-Sep-18 19:25:21

Flossieturner... good for you!

I'll be 60 next year, and I'm beginning to do things I want to do...my latest interest in Steampunk. I've bought clothes, shoes, jewellery, all sorts to wear on these meet-ups.

I also loathe having my hair done, so had it cut short and now I plan to put have a vibrant colour on it soon.

I'm planning on doing something I've always wanted to do - work with animals, next year.

Luckygirl Thu 27-Sep-18 20:06:14

Good on you! I have just turned 70 and have lots of ideas of what I would like to do - as long as someone comes up with an answer as to who might look after my OH while I do!!! smile

But I am planning a new hair look. Watch this space!

MissAdventure Thu 27-Sep-18 20:32:09

Good for you, flossie You did right. smile

cornergran Thu 27-Sep-18 20:47:49

Well done flossie, I’m getting there but too slowly for my liking. Wish my hair would grow, it’s busy copying falling Autumn leaves, hmm maybe it needs to be orange? . I’m no longer saying ‘it will do’, - about anything - it has to be right.

CocoPops Thu 27-Sep-18 22:17:35

Things you yearned for and deserved Flossie. Not trivial at all but good things that increased your happiness. I too found a rescue dog last year and she is great company and lots of fun.

Grannyknot Thu 27-Sep-18 22:27:13

What a happy post, Flossie smile - you are pleasing yourself now so all the practicing when you pleased everyone else was worth it. grin Enjoy.

Grandma2213 Fri 28-Sep-18 01:51:50

I have spent years as a single parent providing for my DC. Now I spend more time than I would choose looking after DGC (much as I love them). Taxi service for out of school activities was not anticipated.

Now I am 71 years old and I have achieved a few items from my bucket list. Joined a choir (and incidentally a recording session at Abbey Road for Children in Need) ...
www.magicvoices.co.uk/page/childreninneed if you would like to donate.

Did an indoor sky dive and really want to do a real one (tandem with a handsome young man of course). Got fit at the gym and weekly swimming, losing lots of weight. Hey can now wear skinny jeans.

Losing hair thanks to an auto-immune disorder so dyed what's left plum!

Learned a (very) little of a new language when on holiday with DS and family in Crete (ie Greek).

Lots I still want to do ... a flash dance would be good, winning the lottery would be even better!!!

jeanie99 Fri 28-Sep-18 01:55:33

Life can be short if you want to do something do it now.

Flossieturner Fri 28-Sep-18 08:42:50

Thank you for the kindness. I am glad others are finding themselves too. I have to ask @Lynne59 What is steam punk?

MiniMoon Fri 28-Sep-18 09:28:49

Just in case Lynne doesn't come back flossie, here's a definition of steampunk.

Steampunk is an inspired movement of creativity and imagination. With a backdrop of either Victorian England or America’s Wild West at hand, modern technologies are re-imagined and realized as elaborate works of art, fashion, and mechanics. If Jules Verne or H.G. Wells were writing their science fiction today, it would be considered “steampunk.”

Btw, I love the costumes.?

Flossieturner Fri 28-Sep-18 14:03:03

Sounds intriguing, I am off to google it

NanKate Fri 28-Sep-18 14:45:10

This is just a small thing but I really love the fashion statement of younger folks wearing leggings and knee length tops/dresses over the top. So recently I bought two lovely pairs of leggings in teal and navy. Then I found a lovely stretchy grey and black dress with trendy zips on it. I wore this ensemble yesterday for my 72 birthday and DH complimented me on my new modern look. There will be no stopping me now. ?

Lynne59 Fri 28-Sep-18 18:23:03

Flossie... Google it. The outfits are great - some quite outstanding, some sexy! I'm looking forward to getting dressed up

GrannyLondon Sat 29-Sep-18 10:07:22

I love this thread, it’s really making think.
I’m nearly 72 & still looking after other people. I don’t think I’ll stop that, but this post has made me think.
“What do I want to do?”
It doesn’t have to be spectacular, but it has to be for you.
Thanks for the post.

Shesanana Sat 29-Sep-18 10:28:55

Inspirational Flossieturner smile

Bellanonna Sat 29-Sep-18 10:31:31

Ah, NanKate, a fellow Libran I see! I’m 78 tomorrow. I still do all the daft things I’ve always done, so no real change there. Emerald green toe polish at the moment although sandals have been abandoned now so only I see it, in my bare feet. I think we should just do whatever we feel like as long as it’s not unlawful! I’ve just planned to get my lovely
bike serviced and have a few rides with my little grandson.
Enjoy your birthday weekend!

123kitty Sat 29-Sep-18 10:35:21

Don't wait for 70- whatever you wish- go for it now!

Yorkshiregirl Sat 29-Sep-18 10:52:17

I love this post. I've always been a people pleaser to my detriment. I'm in my 60s now, and single. I cant cope with drama at all, so I make a stand and distance myself as much as possible from those who create it.
I've been battling a serious illness for over a year, which has made me more determined to live life for myself now, and enjoy it as much as I possibly can.
We all deserve "our" life.

funwithgrandma Sat 29-Sep-18 10:55:00

What a great post Flossieturner! I'm 71 and all of you have inspired me to give some thought to what I want from the future. I'm really good at having great plans when I'm having my cup of tea in bed in the mornings but then all the little things take over once I'm up and I do the same old things... watch this space!

Margs Sat 29-Sep-18 11:53:50

Go, Flossie, go!

Don't give a stuff about your hair - your hair is a law unto itself anyway - make the most of the seventies, I say! What I like about getting older is (and I know others may disagree) that older women become 'anonymous' to the point of being invisible. Well, suits me fine - it means I can do (and even get away with) things I could not even entertain around 40 years ago...........and I can switch to Doddery Old Dear mode to my advantage when it suits!

Go there girl!

DeeWBW Sat 29-Sep-18 11:54:45

Wow! At last you've given yourself permission to be you. Well done. I'm a people pleaser too and it really is so difficult to put yourself first, isn't it? At sixty five, I'm still trying. At the age of sixty, and still living in Spain, I said that by the age of sixty three I would no longer be living in Spain. One month before my sixty third birthday, we had signed for a small house in England, so I felt I had achieved, or almost achieved, my promise to myself. In August this year, we sold our Spanish house and arrived in England for good. I have been reborn! I'm so pleased I at last thought of myself.

DeeWBW Sat 29-Sep-18 11:56:09

So for me, life began at sixty five. I am so thankful.