Gransnet forums

Chat

Royal clothing!

(135 Posts)
Madgran77 Fri 05-Oct-18 15:36:10

Anyone else feeling somewhat uncomfortable/irritated/slightly shocked at the ridiculous cost of recent outfits worn by Meghan and Kate? I can't get my head round it really, just seems wrong!

Blue45Sapphire Fri 05-Oct-18 22:54:15

Well, if I had their money, there is no way I'd be shopping at Primark. I'd be looking at stuff I liked from the top ranges, and why not? Same as if I went on holiday if I could afford business or first class there is no way I'd be travelling steerage...

Anniebach Sat 06-Oct-18 08:40:59

Blue45. I think most would , we buy what we can afford

kittylester Sat 06-Oct-18 08:45:23

And, Kate particularly wears mostly British clothes which is part of her role.

glammanana Sat 06-Oct-18 08:51:50

When ever Kate wears a new dress the designer is inundated with orders for similar so it must be very good for business,I don't see Primark sold out when I wear something new.She is good for British designers I think.

MawBroon Sat 06-Oct-18 08:52:09

Sadly I think there are many, many more things which render me uncomfortable .
Where to start?
Brett Kavanaugh might be a good place.
But seriously the likes of Kate and Meghan are helping to promote the fashion industry, especially the former at present. Just think how many children’s clothing designers and retailers have seen their businesses go stratospheric because of the George/Charlotte effect?
Meghan’s Welsh jeans manufacturer?
The Royals almost certainly do not pay full price anyway, as they showcase designers, mostly British and that is good for business.

Willow10 Sat 06-Oct-18 09:03:54

I'm not ashamed to say that some of my clothes are quite expensive. Or at least they were initially, for whoever put them on Ebay! grin

JessK Sat 06-Oct-18 09:50:49

They are good advertising for British fashion but I do wonder when they wear something only once. I do admire Princes Anne who recycles lots of her clothes but still manages to look good.

Anniebach Sat 06-Oct-18 09:57:43

We don’t know if they wear something only once, they are not in the press every day

merlotgran Sat 06-Oct-18 10:07:28

Does anyone really take much notice of Princess Anne's clothes? Yes, she is frugal (in the royal sense) but has never been one to care for fashion.

The fashion industry must be thrilled to have two women with a great sense of style to show off their designs and unlike catwalk models they don't have to pay them.

Audrie57 Sat 06-Oct-18 10:12:44

The queen, has hardly any money left of her own. But the queen wears outfits more than once. Kate wears high street brands also the children wear high street brands, The outfits that the 2nd son wears are also the 1st son wore and dad and uncle harry also wore. I think Megan needs to curb her spending, Prince Charles pays for hers BUT she has many millions of her own money that she earned before she was royal.

Anniebach Sat 06-Oct-18 10:15:50

Harry has millions

sarahellenwhitney Sat 06-Oct-18 10:24:59

As long as it is not expected of the public to contribute to their extravagance then it does not bother me what they pay for their clothes. I would like to think however that when any of the royals appear in a M&S garment that they are not assuming the public will be taken in by the idea they are, after all, 'one of us'.

Jalima1108 Sat 06-Oct-18 10:27:44

or that we will all rush off to M&S to copy them grin

grannygranby Sat 06-Oct-18 10:28:09

I took it that we are told how much their dresses cost, and madgran was reasonably shocked at the prices. That’s all. Other rich people in the public eye don’t get their wardrobes priced.
The high prices are to keep the exclusivity and for the designers to sell their work as works of art rather than mere clothes. It’s a strange one. Haute couture has always been sky high. And it is a bit like art ... it is made by ‘artists’ who put a high price on their work, its not down to the cost of materials used. It’s all smoke and mirrors and hardly bears examining but like magic we love it. ( apparently)

Cambia Sat 06-Oct-18 10:34:52

Not really bothered what they wear but I have personal levels for clothes. Loved a dress the other day and was thinking hard whether to try it on at £85 (just above my usual level!). Realised I had misread the tag and it was £185, so straight back on the rack. Can’t justify that amount somehow as you do get fed up with all your clothes eventually!

Jalima1108 Sat 06-Oct-18 10:36:13

I don't think we are told by advisers to the RF grannygranby - I think it is eagle-eyed fashion journalists who scrutinise exactly what they're wearing and find out the prices.
Nothing better to do hmm

Gma29 Sat 06-Oct-18 10:38:06

I don’t care what they spend, although I wish Meghan would wear a different designer from Givenchy. I do get irritated though, by the way Kate gets her clothes priced up in virtually every picture - surely it would be sufficient to just say where it was from.

grannytotwins Sat 06-Oct-18 10:39:12

I hate the fact that every item worn by the two Duchesses is scrutinised and commented upon. I don’t remember this happening before Kate came on the scene. I have to perform public duties this year and would love to have a clothing budget. It’s quite nerve wracking to get the dress code right. I admit to wearing variations on navy and black because they’re classic and easier. I’m not a fan of the Royals or their spending, but wish I could afford more than M&S.

maddyone Sat 06-Oct-18 10:39:24

I like seeing what they wear too Annie, it doesn’t matter about cost since they have plenty of money.
Monica, I also prefer White Stuff, Monsoon, M+Co, and used to like M+S, but I’ve gone off them recently. I quite like some of the things in Next. I also buy a little stuff from Kaleidoscope and Joules.

Lancslass1 Sat 06-Oct-18 10:39:35

TKMaxx for me.
I read that Prince Harry was once spotted in their Kensington High Street shop

holdingontometeeth Sat 06-Oct-18 10:46:07

I would wear expensive clothes if I was being subsidised by the taxpayer.

moonbeames Sat 06-Oct-18 10:50:55

Kate dresses beautifully. Great taste and flair. She also wears some outfits a few times with different accessories, go girl!

luluaugust Sat 06-Oct-18 11:07:58

I am very glad someone isn't scrutinising every last thing I put on. I reckon Kate works things out pretty well and Meghan just needs to find the right British designer and get a few colours going. If I had the storage space Anne must have I would probably have kept a few well loved old clothes.

EEJit Sat 06-Oct-18 11:08:21

It's quite simple really, it's none or your business how much they spend, just like it's none of my business how much you spend on clothes.

M0nica Sat 06-Oct-18 11:10:02

I read an article about two women who between them have set up a business to immediately identify and price everything the 2 Duchesses wear. They now supply the press and fashion journalists with all the details that get published in the paper and claim to be able to do this within minutes of either woman stepping out of a car.

If I was either of the 2 duchesses, I would get an outfit designed and made by a private dressmaker, with made to order shoes from a private shoe maker (they exist), just to defeat them. The day they could not identify or price anything they were wearing.