Gransnet forums

Chat

Royal clothing!

(135 Posts)
Madgran77 Fri 05-Oct-18 15:36:10

Anyone else feeling somewhat uncomfortable/irritated/slightly shocked at the ridiculous cost of recent outfits worn by Meghan and Kate? I can't get my head round it really, just seems wrong!

Anniebach Mon 08-Oct-18 17:50:14

The press, it was the same with Fergie and Diana.

I am not that interested in Harry and Megan but the press are

Fennel Mon 08-Oct-18 17:44:35

I'm not anti-monarchy as an institution and agree it gives more stability than a state with a president etc. And I love our Queen, for her strength of personality and sense of duty over all these years.
But I don't like the current media hype about the younger generation, especially Harry and Meghan. And speculation about whether Andrew's daughter's wedding will be televised or not. And how much their clothes cost. Doesn't do them any favours.

Anniebach Mon 08-Oct-18 17:34:40

I doubt he is well enough now. He didn’t appear anywhere when they were all in Scotland .

If he was there ,as usual it would be all very dignified ,

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Oct-18 17:09:24

I bet he can still glower at you-know-who though!
I am sure that he is extremely fond of the two daughters though.

merlotgran Mon 08-Oct-18 17:06:29

I wouldn't be surprised if he gives this one a miss. He's very frail now.

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Oct-18 17:05:50

merlotgran grin

Elegran Mon 08-Oct-18 17:01:13

Do you think he will be there? I would bet he stays at home and they take him back a doggie bag.

merlotgran Mon 08-Oct-18 16:55:32

I'm looking forward to Friday as well, if only to see where Prince Philip conceals his blunderbuss until he has Fergie in his sights. grin

Anniebach Mon 08-Oct-18 16:43:51

Paddyann, you may be taken in by this alleged PR machine making them look superior, not me

paddyann Mon 08-Oct-18 16:34:38

Where is this anti monarchist wing of the media ,Elegran seems to have passed me by.All I see is a great big publicity machine grinding out stories that make them look good,almost superior beings and seem worth having.If it weren't for the media a lot more folk would see the reality and understand why so many countries dont want or need royalty.

Anniebach Mon 08-Oct-18 16:04:38

Friday ? On the bright side, poor Beatrice will a bridesmaid so will not be wearing a hat ?

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Oct-18 15:21:21

Can't wait for Friday!!
grin

eazybee Mon 08-Oct-18 14:03:35

Ah, but the difference is, Amal Clooney may well pay for her clothes with the fabulous sums of money earned from her legal work, which brings me to another favourite topic; the eye-watering sums charged by the legal profession.
(I actually don't mind the money spent by the royals on clothes, provided they are suitable for the purpose and are seen to be working. Hence my dislike of the York sisters, as they now call themselves.)

Anniebach Mon 08-Oct-18 13:48:21

I doubt Mrs George Clooney bought her outfit from M & S.

Elegran Mon 08-Oct-18 13:38:25

Do we know the price of the clothes worn by any of the other people at, for instance, Harry and Meghan's wedding? Or does the anti-monarchist wing of the media make certain that we know to the penny what HM's and Kate's cost without comparing them to any of the other equally well-off guests?

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Oct-18 12:47:42

you've probably got half a brain like me Overthehills grin

Only we just didn't realise that until we were informed by some oh-so-clever Gransnetters.

Overthehills Mon 08-Oct-18 12:44:10

I don’t understand why “anyone with half a brain” thinks that anybody does think the RF “so superior”. Personally I like some of them, don’t like others, like what some wear, don’t like what others wear. I don’t think any of them “superior”.

Jalima1108 Mon 08-Oct-18 12:36:51

You don't think being Head of State is a special job then sazz?

sazz1 Mon 08-Oct-18 12:31:02

Don't really care what they spend but cannot see any need for a Royal family anyway. Why should taxpayers keep a family as they are special people? They are just ordinary people same as everyone else.

Nannapat1 Sun 07-Oct-18 16:41:19

No, I don't feel irritated, shocked or uncomfortable at all. Some outfits are expensive, some are High Street and we do expect them to dress to a standard when they appear in public on official engagements, but whatever either of them choose, someone will criticise

judylow Sun 07-Oct-18 16:12:30

Aren't they putting money into the economy by spending freely?

Daisymay1 Sun 07-Oct-18 15:34:18

I don’t care how they spend thier money . It’s not my business but like too see them looking glamorous ?

Jalima1108 Sun 07-Oct-18 14:27:08

I agree; the clothes make a statement about Britain as much as about the wearer.

Kate was dressed quite appropriately for her recent visit to a school but she wouldn't wear jeans and boots to a state banquet where she may have to sit next to President Jintao or other dignitaries.

Elegran Sun 07-Oct-18 14:23:40

If they have the money (wherever it came from, that is not what this thread is about) then whether they spend some of it on looking the part is beside the point.

Would those who are horrified rather they didn't look the part, but wore holey jeans and a dirty T-shirt to posh weddings, or to meetings with other heads of state where appearance is part of impressing the hell out of them? How can HM upstage Trump if she doesn't wear something at least as classy and expensive as his missus? What would he then say about HM and Britain in general? Third-class country that he doesn't need to bother with?

Anniebach Sun 07-Oct-18 13:15:15

What is inappropriate about anyone paying what they can afford for outfits ?