Eugenie’ wedding

(323 Posts)
Anniebach Wed 10-Oct-18 17:53:25

I have read

1 matron of honour

8 attendants

2 special attendants

PECS Sun 14-Oct-18 10:09:43

Well if there is a record of Walter Coapes anywhere I would be pleased to know about it!

jacq10 Sun 14-Oct-18 11:11:04

When did they start giving out "gift bags" at weddings? Is it not meant to be the other way round? Does this happen at "ordinary" weddings or just royal? Didn't follow Harry and Megan's wedding very closely but don't remember mention of gift bags.

PECS Sun 14-Oct-18 11:31:00

I mentioned before the chid I met in school whose name label said Eugenie but said it was pronounced Oh-zhay -nay!

Jalima1108 Sun 14-Oct-18 11:35:54

I think there is usually a table gift at weddings. The tradition used to be for sugared almonds, but the range of gifts has widened considerably now.

PECS Sun 14-Oct-18 11:41:49

I think the goodie bags, like a party bag, were given to those who won Golden Tickets so not the actual in chapel guests! Wedding favours are still a big deal in some weddings.. not just a bag of sugared almonds that I gave my guests!

adaunas Sun 14-Oct-18 11:48:20

Thank heavens I’m not famous. The nasty comments on here about someone’s wedding are awful. I’m sure I didn’t look that stunning on my wedding photos, but everyone said how lovely I looked. I wonder how many commenters would stand the public scrutiny and get positive comments.

Chewbacca Sun 14-Oct-18 11:49:41

From the BBC website:

A number of gift bags given to wedding guests of Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank are being sold online.
Around a dozen bags are up for sale on the website eBay, with asking prices of up to £1,000.
The bags were given to the 1,200 members of the public chosen by ballot to follow proceedings from the grounds of Windsor Castle.
Gift bags were also given to the 2,640 members of the public invited into the grounds of Windsor Castle for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's wedding in May.
A number of those gift bags were also sold online, with many auctions fetching more than £1,000

muffinthemoo Sun 14-Oct-18 12:28:30

Full gossip mode engaged: there are couples who live quite happily in an 'open' arrangement. That might well have suited the Yorks if there had not been such public scrutiny of their position.

I think the way Sarah is not allowed to attend what are basically family events is pretty grim. It does make you wonder if the same treatment would be meted out to Diana if she had lived. I very, very much doubt William would have his mother treated in such a way.

merlotgran Sun 14-Oct-18 13:04:02

DD's 'goodie bag' and No. She won't be selling it!

Jalima1108 Sun 14-Oct-18 13:05:08

Nor would I - a keepsake.
Well done your DD.

Chewbacca Sun 14-Oct-18 13:13:13

That's lovely merlot, something to keep for the future.

merlotgran Sun 14-Oct-18 13:20:11

I loved hearing 17 yr old DGD's account of it all this morning. She is not in the least bit star struck - unlike her older sister who couldn't get time off to go. She reckoned all the celebs looked like waxwork models, they were so 'done up.' Robbie Williams was chewing gum shock and drew some critical remarks from the crowd when his MIL's hat blew off and he just stood and laughed while other men were rescuing their partners' hats.

During the service they all ate their picnics on rugs or folding chairs. There were no big screens to watched but loudspeakers relayed it all. Most people used their phones to watch what was going on inside the chapel.

She really enjoyed the day although described it as surreal. Shame her sister couldn't go as she's studying creative art, which includes theatrical make-up, at uni and would have loved all the razzamatazz.

The security was very tight so they had to be at the gates by 7am but everyone appreciated and understood the necessity

A day to remember.

Day6 Sun 14-Oct-18 13:43:31

When the likes of gloating, arrogant Robbie Williams and his awful posing wife see themselves as royal celebrities and their little daughter attends a princess, ends up sitting in a Windsor Castle room with the reigning monarch and future king of England, we know the monarchy is on the way out. I imagine the Queen and DOE are now of an age where they don't rant much any longer, but if they did they'd be spitting feathers.

I know the old guard is being eclipsed by the younger, modern royals who have Williams and Beckham and Jamie Rednap, James Corden and Kate Moss and Demi Moore as their 'friends' (cannot be more than acquaintances, surely?) but the worship of celebrity has always made me feel uncomfortable. They are the new royals and now a ticket to a Windsor bash is confirmation they have reached society's upper echelons.

We do need to whittle down the whole royal shebang. It is long overdue. If we worry about wealth and class divides, here is a demonstration of the 'poor people'/also rans looking on and wanting the same fame and status. Burst the bubble, soon please.

The mystique has gone.

Rufus2 Sun 14-Oct-18 13:51:07

Well if there is a record of Walter Coapes anywhere I would be pleased to know about it!
PECS; I'm sure you would, although the idea of my post was to encourage you to join their Forum. You'd be welcome and if I found it easy to subscribe, then it would be a doddle for you and your skills.! wink

Anniebach Sun 14-Oct-18 13:58:04

If the royals marry outside of the royal circle then naturally guests will be . Ann chose Jackie Stewart’s wife as godmother to Zara she also chose Andrew Parker Bowles as godfather , so within and without of the circle .

Jalima1108 Sun 14-Oct-18 14:06:37

Well, we did get rid of the monarchy once Day6 - and must have lived to regret it as we restored it. Be careful what you wish for.
We do need to whittle down the whole royal shebang.
It is whittled down or had you not noticed?
However, for some reason, a royal wedding does seem to cause pleasure and even excitement amongst a good proportion of the population.
Perhaps we all like 'a show'!
As for royals making friends with 'outsiders' - why not. Nell Gwynne anyone?
They even marry them these days shock

merlotgran Sun 14-Oct-18 14:11:50

The genie is out of the bottle. You can't shove the RF back into their ivory towers because the mystique surrounding the monarchy has been breached. Younger generations will lose interest without a bit of glitz and glam. That's the way it is these days.

Good!

Jalima1108 Sun 14-Oct-18 14:16:00

Other monarchies manage to survive without living in ivory towers - the Netherlands, the Danish, Swedes etc.

Bridgeit Sun 14-Oct-18 18:03:01

Day6, isn’t your post contradictory or perhaps judgemental you seem to be rating which guests were or weren’t acceptable, but in who’s opinion should that / would that be.
( I wouldn’t what many of them at any family do of mine?)

Anniebach Sun 14-Oct-18 18:36:23

I didn’t think of Robbie Williams as a royal celebrity, didn’t think of him as anything than a wedding guest

Jalima1108 Mon 15-Oct-18 12:24:48

Apparently he performed a set at the reception
smile

Rufus2 Mon 15-Oct-18 13:20:09

A long time ago, I lived in Windsor Castle, King George IV
Phoenix; You must have been in the "Grace and Favour" apartments. How did you manage that and are they as plush as I imagine or fairly small and uncomfortable as some reports say? Why aren't you still there?
The stamping of the guards' boots must have been re-assuring; much better than Heathrow jets taking the chimney pots off to give tourists a closer look.! grin