Gransnet forums

Chat

Dogs now allowed in John Lewis stores

(146 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Mon 05-Nov-18 10:58:51

As long as they are in a bag or carried. (assisted dogs as normal)

Not sure about how this is going to work
Pooches are often (imho) the more vocal
yappy.

Designer dogs ?

PECS Mon 05-Nov-18 18:40:54

I know people really love their dogs.
I like most dogs though would not choose to own one. However they are not humans and a badly behaved child still has a higher place in my pecking order than a well behaved dog! Both are the result of good / bad care for which they are not dierctly responsible!

BBbevan Mon 05-Nov-18 19:20:09

LullyDully I am not a great fan of dogs either. I avoid any cafe, hotel etc which says Dog Friendly. We once went in a dog friendly restaurant in N Wales. There was a couple with a very well behaved dog near us. The dog was fine but every time the waitress passed it she stroked it. When she brought our food I asked if she had washed her hands. The look on her face confirmed she had not.

KatyK Mon 05-Nov-18 19:33:50

No not everyone likes dogs. Some dog owners assume that everyone does.

MissAdventure Mon 05-Nov-18 19:35:19

I just thought it was against "the rules" to have animals were food is prepared, commercially?

Jalima1108 Mon 05-Nov-18 19:42:33

I like dogs but I don't like dogs being allowed in cafes and restaurants and I have seen quite a few lately in eating places. However, I've not noticed dogs (except for assistance dogs) in shops.

Outside the eating place is fine as far as I'm concerned, although someone on the next table to us when we were having coffee outside a small café was trying to control three of them. At least the one who looked most trouble was muzzled.

I thought you were in the hold with the orang-utan EllinVannin! I was going to ask if you had a nice warm coat like him/her.

Iam64 Mon 05-Nov-18 19:51:47

I love John Lewis and I love my dogs. I can't imagine taking them into JL though, I suspect they'd be a combination of bored and over excited.
In France, dogs are everywhere. In rural communities in the UK, you find dogs welcome in pubs and cafes, what's not to like providing the dogs are at ease lying or sitting by their owners. If you don't like dogs, ignore them and generally speaking, they'll ignore you.

CocoPops Tue 06-Nov-18 07:15:07

I live in a very dog friendly city and dogs are welcome in lots of stores providing they are on leash. I only pay a flying visit to big stores (similar to John Lewis) but I take my dog with me because she much prefers to be out and about than being left home alone.

sodapop Tue 06-Nov-18 09:10:08

Don't apologise Lullydully. There is no reason why you should be expected to tolerate dogs in shops etc. I think we dog lovers can be unreasonable sometimes in expecting everyone to feel the way we do about our pets.

sarahcyn Tue 06-Nov-18 10:13:29

Why on earth shouldn't dogs be allowed in shops, at the discretion of the management?
My "designer" (I.e. An intended crossbreed) dog does not track in any more dirt on his paws than people do on their shoes. He is quiet and obedient. He isn't "yappy" in particular though any dog is entitled to be vocal if frightened or stressed.
When I take him for a walk I can't do much shopping en route because of the stupid shops banning him. I don't like leaving him tied up outside - too many thieves round here. So the shops lose trade.
At John Lewis Westfield this policy is meaningless as Westfield don't allow dogs in - just as well, as that hideous overheated, echoing, noisy great shed would be a very stressful environment for a dog.

sarahcyn Tue 06-Nov-18 10:15:09

MissAdventure the h&S rules apply to kitchens, not to the eating area in restaurants.

Kim19 Tue 06-Nov-18 10:18:18

Fair dos but commercial outlets have their choice - animals or me.

Gymstagran Tue 06-Nov-18 10:23:28

Yesterday I stopped to have a coffee at Starbucks in one of the malls in a large shopping centre. A very yappy small dog surprised all of the customers. It was in a pushchair alongside a female. The staff informed her that dogs were not allowed in the centre, unless assistance dogs. She just moved the pushchair to just outside of the starbucks seating area. I like dogs but not sure why you would decide to take one with you shopping then ignore it, and the centre rules, whilst chatting ? Working with a friend/ colleague. Is John Lewis going to allow dogs in the restaurant/ coffee bar areas? Not sure I like that.

Marieeliz Tue 06-Nov-18 10:29:58

Can I please correct a comment re dogs not being allowed near food. EU rules, which we will soon be leaving are that "dogs should not be allowed IN FOOD PREPARATION AREAS i.e. the kitchen.

All people here complaining, so it is ok for people on holiday to leave their dogs in a hot car to suffocate. or tied up outside to be stolen. I go to the Lakes because it is an Outdoor place and pets are welcome. My dog lies under the table and is no trouble. Less in fact to misbehaving children, even if some people think they are higher in the pecking order. That is a matter of opinion!

libra10 Tue 06-Nov-18 10:33:29

I think this could be a great idea. We have a small dog which we don't take on holiday as there are too many places where dogs are not allowed.

However, as our nearest John Lewis store is over 20 miles away, neither I nor Barney will be taking advantage.

katieben Tue 06-Nov-18 10:37:53

Does that mean that people who are allergic to pets can’t use the store anymore? Also, what would happen if the dogs need to alleviate themselves when their owners are busy shopping?!

GabriellaG Tue 06-Nov-18 10:39:54

What happens if they yap, wee or no2...shockangrygrin

jacq10 Tue 06-Nov-18 10:43:59

My main worry would be that you don't know when your dog may "lift his leg". Dogs are unpredictable even if well trained and can get excitable. The main problem if we had taken our large labrador with us when eating is the floor would need to be washed as he would be drooling at the sight of all the food!! He was always ordered to his basket at mealtimes in the house which wouldn't work in a restaurant!

jacq10 Tue 06-Nov-18 10:45:04

Doing our posts at the same time GabriellaG!

MawBroon Tue 06-Nov-18 10:45:49

Well if they should be so I’ll-bred as to yap, one just hopes their accent is sufficiently acceptable for John Lewis (“Common” yappers should only go to Matalan, Primark or Poundsavers)

MawBroon Tue 06-Nov-18 10:46:19

Ill-bred not I’ll bred!

MawBroon Tue 06-Nov-18 10:47:41

if the dogs need to alleviate themselves
confused
Did you mean relieve themselves?

maryeliza54 Tue 06-Nov-18 10:48:15

Apart from assistance dogs, I really cannot think of one valid reason to allow dogs into shops, cafes or restaurants.

Minerva Tue 06-Nov-18 10:55:55

I always check before I book whether dogs are allowed so I can avoid the place if they are. We once booked a B & B and when we turned back the sheets it was obvious that a large dog had been in the bed. The owners couldn’t see why we weren’t happy but they did change the sheets. I had a horrible night keeping the blankets away from my face. I understand why people love their dogs but why do they think we all have to love them.

grannytotwins Tue 06-Nov-18 11:03:48

Back in the days before dogs were banned from shops, my MIL’s dog cocked his leg and did a giant wee over the crisps display. She beat a hasty retreat. I dreamt to see anything other than assistance dogs in shops.

Leavingnormal Tue 06-Nov-18 11:04:14

There are kids that often can’t help their ‘bad behaviour’. Some kids with autism, for example. It’s very often not the the child’s fault, nor is it the fault of their loving, exhausted parents.