Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you think now?

(279 Posts)
Applegran Wed 14-Nov-18 10:24:57

If you voted for Brexit - would you vote for it again, knowing what you know now? However you voted, do you think we should have another referendum - a peoples' vote?

Grammaretto Wed 14-Nov-18 15:23:20

Not another referendum. You can't keep on asking the electorate.
I do think we should open voting to 16 and 17 yr olds.
The Scottish referendum went well IMO and the youngsters were so sensible in their TV debate and interested in their future. The SNP want a replay.
We was robbed they chorused.

Maybe 10 or 20 years in future, there will be another union formed and we'll have learned from our mistakes.
smile

Telly Wed 14-Nov-18 15:24:42

I voted remain, but whatever we are in a right mess now. We lack leadership and information. Staying in without an input into laws and rules and regulations seems an impossible situation.
I think the government should have included all parties in the negotiations. But that would have needed grown up politics and you only have to have a listen in to PMQs to know that does not exist. Heaven help us.

ginny Wed 14-Nov-18 15:28:39

I voted remain but the democratic vote went the other way. We now have to stick with it and hope that the leavers voted the right way.
We’ll never really know what would be the right way as we can’t tell what would have happened if we remained.

BlueBelle Wed 14-Nov-18 15:53:13

Yes of course, I voted remain will still vote remain but I know some people who voted leave have changed their minds
The referendum was built on lies and was not binding it was advisory
It never needed to be, it’s split the country in two it’s a huge disaster

GillT57 Wed 14-Nov-18 16:11:28

I too know people who voted to leave and would now vote to remain. Apart from the Irish border problem which has been discussed ad nauseum, there are other disturbing issues which have changed their minds. I agree with Martin Lewis
who says ^Some cared about immigration, others sovereignty, some the economy - yet the disgrace is we had a black-and-white vote on a rainbow of issues.”^

EllanVannin Wed 14-Nov-18 16:15:51

16/17 year olds would have voted to remain as did most students who did vote---------it's their future.

Beau Wed 14-Nov-18 16:40:26

Leave - even more so now with their talk of armies and empires bring exactly what we knew was coming.

Beau Wed 14-Nov-18 16:40:54

*being

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 17:00:25

Another poster asked nearly the same thing six months ago and the thread reached 1,000

BlueBelle Wed 14-Nov-18 17:01:25

I d rather be involved inside an army than outside of it at least we ve had peace for 70 + years

Granny23 Wed 14-Nov-18 17:02:45

Peter Grant MP has tweeted:

"The DUP seem to have been briefed about what’s in the proposed Brexit deal.

The Chief Minister of Gibraltar has had the chance to comment on what the deal would mean for Gibraltar.

The First Minister of Scotland has been told that if she’s a good girl the prime minister will phone her AFTER the cabinet meeting to tell her what the British government has decided to impose on Scotland."

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 17:19:10

We are already, Bluebelle

NATO (the North Atlantic Treaty Organization) is an international alliance that consists of 29 member states from North America and Europe.

Security in our daily lives is key to our well-being. NATO’s purpose is to guarantee the freedom and security of its members through political and military means.
POLITICAL - NATO promotes democratic values and enables members to consult and cooperate on defence and security-related issues to solve problems, build trust and, in the long run, prevent conflict.
MILITARY - NATO is committed to the peaceful resolution of disputes. If diplomatic efforts fail, it has the military power to undertake crisis-management operations. These are carried out under the collective defence clause of NATO's founding treaty - Article 5 of the Washington Treaty or under a United Nations mandate, alone or in cooperation with other countries and international organisations.

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 17:21:24

NATO:
Albania (2009)
Belgium (1949)
Bulgaria (2004)
Canada (1949)
Croatia (2009)
Czech Republic (1999)
Denmark (1949)
Estonia (2004)
France (1949)
Germany (1955)
Greece (1952)
Hungary (1999)
Iceland (1949)
Italy (1949)
Latvia (2004)
Lithuania (2004)
Luxembourg (1949)
Montenegro (2017)
Netherlands (1949)
Norway (1949)
Poland (1999)
Portugal (1949)
Romania (2004)
Slovakia (2004)
Slovenia (2004)
Spain (1982)
Turkey (1952)
The United Kingdom (1949)
The United States (1949)

Do we need a European Army, Navy, Air Force?

eazybee Wed 14-Nov-18 18:05:50

Having observed the way in which the EU has conducted itself during the negotiations and the conditions it is attempting to impose I would vote doubly (if it were possible) to leave.

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 18:28:51

Well, if only one does not to ratify it then it will not happen.

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 18:29:11

want to

I am sure I typed that!

varian Wed 14-Nov-18 18:29:25

I would prefer our MPs to act according to their consciences.

Since the vast majority of them voted Remain because they knew in 2016 that leaving the EU would damage the UK, and the events of the last two years have made them see this even more clearly, they should vote in Parliament to rescind Article 50, forget this "will of the people" nonsense (actually the will of 26% of the population who were fooled and manipulated by malignant foreign forces), and stand up to the right-wing tabloids and show some courage and leadership.

If they are not prepared to do that, we need a People's Vote with the option to Remain in the EU.

petra Wed 14-Nov-18 19:07:33

BlueBelle
The eu army will be deployed all over the world.
These could be wars/conflicts that the uk has no wish to take part in.
'If' we stay in the eu we may not have a choice in joining this army. And what next, conscription.
How will the young people who want a vote on Europe feel about that, they are probably totally unaware of the possibility.

Mycatisahacker Wed 14-Nov-18 19:11:03

I wonder if TM is having difficulty getting her deal past the cabinet?

I think it’s possible and if so she should resign. Or a vote of no confidence tomz?

I think Gove or Boris will take over and we will crash out to WTO rules.

As long as Corbyn and Abbott don’t get the keys to no 10 I would accept anything!

Praying labour see sense and ditch those idiots for Yvette Cooper etc snd we can have a sensible choice.

GillT57 Wed 14-Nov-18 19:15:09

Petra is this your view or are you quoting Blue bell ? Either way, one or both of you is still being fooled by the right wing press.

Mycatisahacker Wed 14-Nov-18 19:22:22

Gill

Unfortunately your remarks like ‘I did a lot of research before I voted’ and telling people they are essentially thick to be fooled by ‘the right wing press’ is exactly why millions of voters voted Brexit.

I don’t disagree with you on essentials and I
Agree with Martin Lewis but the facts are we had a vote and unfortunately Cameron was complacent and Corbyn Instead of putting country first and joining him to campaign for remain put self first and dithered.

I am by no means convinced another vote would deliver a remain. In fact I think the general ‘piss off’ of millions would deliver a more strong Brexit.

Mycatisahacker Wed 14-Nov-18 19:22:41

Oh she’s got it past cabinet

petra Wed 14-Nov-18 19:46:49

GillT57
2 days ago in the Strasbourg parliament Angela Merkel backed Macrons call for a European army. These are facts.
The opinion on conscription is my own.

POGS Wed 14-Nov-18 20:06:53

The prospect of an EU Army has spoken about on Gransnet before the Referendum even took place!

Some posters said then anybody who thought there was a possibility of an EU Army were either thick, lying or at best being taken in. There must come a time when reality kicks in and surely.

Since the Referendum we have had plenty of conversations about the EU Army prospect spoken of and written in our media, political debate as a possibility.

Junker gave it further credence at his State of the Union address to the European Parliament .

Macron and Merkel have used the 100th centenury of Remembrance to keep the momentum going. By the way I think the timing of Macrons call for a European Army was crass and totally disrespectful to the occasion.

POGS Wed 14-Nov-18 20:09:01

petra

I could easily see conscription in years to come when the Federal State of Europe has developed even further.

Watch this space.