Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you think now?

(278 Posts)
Applegran Wed 14-Nov-18 10:24:57

If you voted for Brexit - would you vote for it again, knowing what you know now? However you voted, do you think we should have another referendum - a peoples' vote?

stree Wed 14-Nov-18 10:49:34

No thanks

Alima Wed 14-Nov-18 10:57:41

Why does this post remind me of Brenda from Bristol. (Not annnotherrr one!)

Anniebach Wed 14-Nov-18 10:59:55

Not another one

Annie from Aberfan

EllanVannin Wed 14-Nov-18 11:00:47

I would still vote Remain as I first did.

CassieJ Wed 14-Nov-18 11:05:18

You can't keep having a referendum until you get to something that you agree with.
We have another referendum -- people vote again -- some people again disagree with the outcome. We have another referendum, and so it continues. Someone is always going to be unhappy that it didn't go as they wanted [ expected it ] to go.

By the way, I voted remain, and still would. But we can't change what was decided.

Poppyred Wed 14-Nov-18 11:26:39

Yes even more so now!

yggdrasil Wed 14-Nov-18 11:41:58

yes of course. The previous referendum was 2 years ago, one would hope people would have more idea this time what the UK after Brexit would be like.
And Arron Cross and all his cheating friends should be put on trial. And a second referendum could be better monitored to stop the Russian interference that has now been admitted. (It suits Putin well to break up the EU)

EllanVannin Wed 14-Nov-18 11:53:34

We can't afford to leave the EU for umpteen reasons.

Mycatisahacker Wed 14-Nov-18 11:53:57

I voted remain but totally against any more referendums on this issue. People’s vote is simply another referendum and what if it’s a more clear majority to leave. What then?

I think both rabid leavers and remainders are clearly ridiculous.

They are unable to seem to understand we have to compromise.

The vote should stand. Let TM get her deal through and let’s all move on.

winterwhite Wed 14-Nov-18 12:16:39

The OP specified 'given what you know now'. What we know now is that TM's deal would be more disadvantageous for the UK than staying in the EU. No informed commentator that I have heard thinks otherwise.
Doesn't that make a difference?
Surely we should give up this pose of being bored, and if we are opposed to a People's vote think what the alternatives might be. Much would hinge on what the options in a referendum might be.

Esspee Wed 14-Nov-18 12:23:51

How about the best of three?
If you don't like the result we could go for the best of five!

FlexibleFriend Wed 14-Nov-18 12:38:49

I voted to leave and I would have voted the same if asked again today or even ten years ago. I knew I wanted to leave years ago, so the arguments used by either side had no effect on my decision.

GillT57 Wed 14-Nov-18 12:40:16

I think there should be another vote, based on where we go from here, given that we all, hopefully, know more about what we are voting for. I would also include 16 and 17 year olds in this final vote as they are the ones whose future is being decided. My vote would be the same as last time because I did a lot of research before I voted and made my decision based on it.

Mycatisahacker Wed 14-Nov-18 12:45:25

We had a people’s vote. If the arrogant arses of Cameron and Corbyn had put aside their political differences and campaigned together the result may well have been different. I blame both these men.

Agree 16/17 year olds should have had the original vote but it’s done.

God knows what will happen. I think TM will loose the Parliament vote. She will resign. A brexiteer will take over and we will crash out. Worst case senatio. Or again terrible a Corbyn led government and god help us there too.

GillT57 Wed 14-Nov-18 12:49:11

I think that Boris is hatching a plan. He will, at the last minute, stand up as a remainer, campaign for a 'people's vote' and then lead the country from its self inflicted disaster

lemongrove Wed 14-Nov-18 13:52:50

I doubt that very much Gill

Yes, I would still vote the same way, to leave the EU, and no there should not be yet another referendum.

tinaf1 Wed 14-Nov-18 14:00:01

Yes I would vote the same way again to leave the EU no there should not be another referendum and fully agree with CassieJ 's sensible take about another referendum

merlotgran Wed 14-Nov-18 14:02:21

I won't vote if there's another referendum. I don't think we should have had a one in the first place. We pay politicians to run the country don't we? If my reluctant vote didn't count the first time then they won't be getting anotherrr one.

And after three years of argy bargy, I don't think I'll give a toss about the outcome.

Day6 Wed 14-Nov-18 14:06:27

More than ever I am convinced we need to get out of the EU. I'd vote Leave again, as would the other Leavers I know and a few who previously erred on the side of caution and voted Remain.

We can have referendums* until the cows come home and until the outcome is changed, but who except Remainers would want that. It's laughable.

" ‘One referendum, two referenda,’ chanted my husband.
‘No, no, it’s a gerund. The English plural is referendums,’ interrupted Veronica, red in the face. " - From the Spectator.

gmelon Wed 14-Nov-18 14:12:11

This thread.
De ja vu.
I've been here reading this before.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 14-Nov-18 14:16:24

Not another referendum.

No to 16/17 year olds voting.

Let's just leave and get on with it, stop pandering to Barnier et al. Definitely not give away our fishing waters, or give them anymore money.

The EU is sinking faster than the Titanic, Greece, Italy are openly defying the rules and more shall follow.

Marthjolly1 Wed 14-Nov-18 14:46:40

mycatisahacker your first post echo my thoughts entirely. I live for the day it's all done and dusted and we can get on with adjusting our lives in whatever way will be necessary to move on and settle down again.

Teetime Wed 14-Nov-18 15:05:53

Still Leave for me and no you don't just keep having referenda until you get the answer you want.

Cherrytree59 Wed 14-Nov-18 15:11:32

Ditto Teetime.

Hopefully after March we will All be focused on what is Best for the country.