Gransnet forums

Chat

Accepting help

(55 Posts)
grannyactivist Fri 16-Nov-18 02:30:18

When The Wonderful man and I got married thirty years ago he was a young student, we had three children (from my first marriage) to keep and a mortgage to pay. Times were hard financially and every single penny counted. Our church understood our situation and many people (some we didn't even really know) helped us out with food, clothing for the children and sometimes hard cash. At first it was very hard to accept being a 'charity case', especially as I was always of the opinion that others were worse off than us, but over time I came to see that 'receiving' was just as important a role as giving.

Since that time our finances have improved and I like to 'pay it forward' when I can by helping other individuals out, preferably anonymously, but sometimes that's not possible. If someone just wanted to give you a gift (for no particular reason) how would you feel about accepting it? Would you be offended? Would you be delighted? Would you question their motives?

Davidhs Sun 18-Nov-18 15:11:16

This is a difficult one, if it's small items , shopping etc given to a friend or relative who you know needs it there shouldn't be a problem. However be careful with larger items especially if they have a sensitive partner, things like your old TV or sofa, some people have excessive pride and will refuse.
I do remember many years ago my Grandparents had a farm with dairy cows and whenever there was a new baby in the village Granny would alway offer the new mum a can of milk each day. It was of course always accepted but it was done in secret, Grandad would not have approved!.

newgran2019 Mon 19-Nov-18 09:40:50

Although I too was brought up always to 'return' help/gifts, I now think there's an element of pride in that attitude and that we are all put here to help each other, which means some give, some receive, and it's good to do both at the right time. Yes the way in which help is offered is important, but refusing on principle seems rather sad, as it can be hurtful and one day you might really need that help.

grannyactivist Tue 20-Nov-18 00:24:59

Thank you all for your contributions. Recently one of my clients, who had been rough sleeping for a very long time, was finally housed. His new home is a tiny one-bedroom bungalow, but of course he had nothing at all in the way of furnishings or household items. In just three days he had received a fridge, kettle, crockery, cutlery, saucepans, an armchair, bed, bedding, curtains, side table (all 2nd hand, but in very good condition) and a brand new microwave. Someone has also offered carpeting for the whole place and another couple wanted to gift him a TV, but he declined politely as he knew he would not be able to afford the Licence fee. The couple with the TV worked out the problem and now two people that they know are paying for the TV Licence between them.

This lovely gentleman has been extremely gracious in receiving the gifts he has been given. He has a deep and genuine thankfulness for the kindliness of people who were strangers to him a few months ago and is not too proud to acknowledge that he is currently needy, nor does he have a sense of entitlement that he 'deserves' the help he's been given; I feel I've learnt a lot from him about how to both give and receive with grace.

folly22 Wed 21-Nov-18 15:29:51

If you want to give anonymously, how about the Food Bank?( if you agree with it).