Gransnet forums

Chat

Best gadget ever!

(22 Posts)
Witzend Tue 20-Nov-18 11:34:24

I'm not usually a fan of gadgets - they so often just clutter up drawers and cupboards, barely used, and I don't have room for barely used clutter.

However I decided for once to make my own mincemeat (Delia's) which involves the zest of 2 oranges and 2 lemons.

It's such a lengthy faff doing it on the teeny fine section of the box grater (did same for Chr. puds recently) I went and looked for a zester, without much faith that it'd be much use.

Can't believe how much quicker and easier it's been! In case anyone wants to know, it's the Oxo Good Grips Zester.

annodomini Tue 20-Nov-18 11:58:09

My favourite gadget, the one I use most frequently, is a mini chopper, originally recommended by Delia years ago. It's just like a mini food processor and makes excellent paté in seconds and is good for small quantities of purée. Apart from that, I often use my hand-held blender which gives me lovely smooth soups. I think I'm on my fourth model as they have been known to die of exhaustion.

Lucylastic Tue 20-Nov-18 12:05:06

My soup maker is a wonderful beast, quick and efficient and a life saver during our freezing Scottish winters.
Soup of the day? Split pea soup, known by our Dutch friends as snert.

jusnoneed Tue 20-Nov-18 12:50:01

My microplane grater is one of my most used of recent times. Great for parmesan cheese, grated zest etc.

Anja Tue 20-Nov-18 12:58:56

My bread maker. Most bought bread comes in a plastic wrap and has palm oil in it.

I reckon a medium wholemeal loaf costs 50p and I know exactly what goes into it. Last week made a lovely Panatone and at this moment a Walnut & Maple Syrup is halfway through baking.

I’ve cut out lunch and just have a slice of these ‘sweet’ breads or home-ade soup about 2.00pm, deoending on what I fancy. Lost 5lbs this month!

Soup-maker comes a close second

kittylester Tue 20-Nov-18 13:14:10

My Microplane grater is one of my best buys too, I think, jusnoneed. I use it for parmesan, zesting, nutmeg to name but a few.

Grammaretto Tue 20-Nov-18 13:39:38

Most used:
2 types of bottle top removers.
Glass lemon squeezed.
A small grater bought at a party from a company that's since gone bust. Pampered chef? I've never found one as useful as this.
Ancient phillips hand held mixer.
A wand for soups.
Garlic press.
Least used:
A garlic peeler.
A hard boiled egg slicer.
A melon baller.

mumofmadboys Tue 20-Nov-18 15:00:17

My soup maker. Bought it 3 years ago after recommendations on GN and it has been brilliant. Bought 2 of my sons them for Xmas ( Sainsburys double up!) With their prior agreement.

NanTheWiser Tue 20-Nov-18 15:29:23

Another soup maker fan! The Sauté and soup maker from Morphy Richards. I have soup for lunch all through the winter, and as I prefer to eat low carb, I can adjust ingredients to suit me. Wouldn't be without it.

Greyduster Tue 20-Nov-18 15:41:07

My ancient Kenwood food processor. I can’t make pastry by hand now, so it’s essential to me for that and countless other jobs. For grating garlic and nutmeg, I use a tiny box grater. Where did I get it? Out of a Christmas cracker! Had it ages, wouldn’t be without it. I peel garlic using a silicone sleeve that came with a kit. The rest of the kit is redundant; along with the useless non curling butter curler, the wooden thing you are supposed to juice lemons with, and the Cuisinart soup maker languishing in the garage! Grammaretto my Phillips hand held mixer died on me last year. DH bought it for me the year our DD was born. She is now forty seven!!

Fennel Tue 20-Nov-18 16:44:41

I've got a tiny box grater like that, Greyduster. It was in the jar of 2 nutmegs that I bought.
The oxo zester - I bought a similar one from John Lewis, and couldn't get the hang of it. Must try again.
The gadget I use most is a hand held electric mixer.
Also the dough hook on my kenwood machine. Used to knead by hand, but this is so much easier.

EllanVannin Tue 20-Nov-18 17:00:22

Electric orange and lemon squeezer-------brand new from a charity shop years ago for £1. Well used now.

Telly Tue 20-Nov-18 18:53:02

Automatic jam jar remover. I dont know how people get the lids off of some jars without one!

Cherrytree59 Tue 20-Nov-18 18:55:32

Slow cooker

EllanVannin Tue 20-Nov-18 19:29:05

Telly, I put the jar where the door hinges are,open the door so that the object fits into the space,hold onto the jar twisting as you gently close the door on it-----it works every time but tends to leave dents in the door jamb.

Sweetie222 Tue 20-Nov-18 19:33:29

Can't see how soup makers improve on a saucepan and blender ... Slow cooking items can go in the oven .. doesn't anyone else appreciate the blender and microwave?

Grammaretto Tue 20-Nov-18 22:14:20

Greyduster I think my Phillips mixer may be older than yours as it belonged to DM.
EllanVannin the door method only works for bottle tops. Jam jars are too wide.

mumofmadboys Tue 20-Nov-18 22:54:35

If you saw a soup maker in action Sweetie 222 you would see the advantages.

Melanieeastanglia Tue 20-Nov-18 22:57:35

Electric toothbrush.

SueDonim Tue 20-Nov-18 23:29:13

Snert. What a marvellous word, Lucylastic. Love your name, too! grin

I recently bought a nutmeg mill. I love it! Sadly, it doesn't get used that often as there's a limit to how many recipes require nutmeg.

I've gone over to lazy garlic now and have recently bought lazy ginger too. I'm just plain lazy! blush

Auntieflo Wed 21-Nov-18 08:24:28

Best gadget, my Jarkey, opens tough jar lids no problem.
I also have a Kenwood mixer from the early 1960's that is going strong.
Prestige pressure cooker, also from 1960's era.
Electric can opener, now that my hands can't turn a manual opener.

kittylester Wed 21-Nov-18 08:34:52

suedomin, I've used lazy garlic and ginger for years but now mostly use frozen.blushblush