Gransnet forums

Chat

Devious SIL or....AIBU

(58 Posts)
Sheian57 Tue 27-Nov-18 17:47:14

My SIL has informed my husband and me today that she has taken her dad to solicitors and drawn up a new will following the death of their mum. She has not arranged for bank account to be closed saying bank don't need to know....however I know there is a significant amount of money in mum's account and that she has been withdrawing it for personal purchases by using her mum's bank card. That account should be closed and money given to dad as per mirror will set up years ago. That said she has informed me today that she has also drawn up her own will and some jewellery left by her mum and grandmother is being willed to our granddaughter (instead of our daughter who recently received some jewellery). I feel aggrieved as when our daughter was around 12 she was given a ring following the death of her great grandmother. When my SIL realised she told our daughter that she had a matching bracelet and said she would like to give her some gold earrings in return for the ring and promised that she would inherit it one day. I believe that this is the jewellery that she is now willing to our gŕanddaughter. My husband refuses to speak up and I am angry about all the deceit. What do people think?

mcem Thu 29-Nov-18 13:23:49

There have been comments about your DH's behaviour. Head in sand? Quiet life? Letting her get on with it?
Frankly if your DH is consciously choosing to follow this course of (in)action he is actually complicit in SiL's actions.
If he ends up in trouble it will be his fault.
He won't be able to ignore it then and he'll have to face the consequences.
Time to get a grip and face up to his responsibilities!
(Possibly with the help of a well-placed boot up the backside from you!)

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Nov-18 13:28:28

mcem metaphorical I hope
or perhaps not!
He's being an ostrich.
Backside is in a strategic position grin

janeainsworth Thu 29-Nov-18 16:06:47

jalima grin

Daddima Thu 29-Nov-18 16:25:10

When my daughter-in-law’s grandmother died they found that a daughter who lived with her had been spending her mother’s money. The bank wouldn’t do anything, as they said that the fact the daughter had her mother’s card and PIN showed that she had consented to the money being taken out.
I’m sure it’s different if the account holder has died.

mcem Thu 29-Nov-18 17:04:50

Well yes Jalima really strategically placed!

naheed Thu 29-Nov-18 17:59:04

I'd notify the bank immediately because that's the right thing to do here and nobody needs to know. I wouldn't want to get into arguments with the family for doing the right thing. FIL may need the money later in his life and his interests to me would be paramount.

Survivor Thu 06-Dec-18 16:19:58

I agree with JS06, the bank should be informed, its fraud.