Gransnet forums

Chat

Cash or Card ?

(82 Posts)
NanKate Thu 13-Dec-18 12:32:40

I am just listening to BBC You and Yours on the subject of how we are moving towards a cashless society.

What is your stance on this ?

tanith Thu 13-Dec-18 13:17:17

I don’t often use cash it’s mostly on contactless as it’s so easy now.

merlotgran Thu 13-Dec-18 13:20:02

I mostly use my card. I keep a bit of cash in my purse for market day stalls but prefer plastic any day.

EllanVannin Thu 13-Dec-18 13:23:00

It mortifies me if I haven't got cash to handle. I think I've used cashless twice only because I wanted to hang on to the cash I already had and I didn't like it one bit because I had my suspicious head on at the time. I seem to mistrust everyone these days.

lemongrove Thu 13-Dec-18 13:27:00

They both have their uses, obviously.Cards are great, and easy to use, but I do like to have a bit of cash on me as well.
We are moving towards a cashless society though, and gradually cards will supercede cash altogether.
We have to think of cards as another form of cash.

SueDonim Thu 13-Dec-18 13:28:36

Tthis thread is a timely reminder that I need to go and get some cash right now! I'm going to the hairdresser in half an hour and she only takes cash or these weird things called cheques. grin I rarely have more than a few pounds in cash nowadays.

FlexibleFriend Thu 13-Dec-18 13:29:38

I prefer cash.

stella1949 Thu 13-Dec-18 13:34:40

I haven't used cash for a long time - several months at least. There is never any need for it . I don't miss it a bit. I have a money tracking app on my phone so I know where the money goes, and I'm happy using my cards all the time.

SueDonim Thu 13-Dec-18 15:09:07

That went well at the hairdresser's! To cut a long story short, I ended up paying by cheque. I wrote it out then thought hmm, that looks wrong. I'd only gone and signed it in the box where the amount in figures should be. I'm obviously out of practise! grin

Humbertbear Thu 13-Dec-18 15:32:46

I always pay by card.i use a card that gives me airmiles and pay off by direct debit every month

petra Thu 13-Dec-18 16:48:17

Stella1949
I need one of those apps. Except for my nail bar, who only take cash wink I never use cash. So when I look at my statement sometimes I don't recognise who the recipient of my money is grin

M0nica Thu 13-Dec-18 17:10:02

Horses for courses. Did my weekly shop in the local town today, chain stores throughout, paid by card throughout.

Went to my beautician to get my eyebrows shaped and tinted. She is self-employed works out of a hair salon. Paid her cash as she doesn't do electronic payments.

MiniMoon Thu 13-Dec-18 17:28:53

We don't often keep cash in the house, but we ought to have some really. Yesterday the wheelie bin cleaner came for payment and I had to ask him for an invoice, because I didn't have enough to pay him. Now I'll have to send the company a cheque. We usually pay by card when we're out.

Shirleyw Thu 13-Dec-18 17:56:35

I do mostly by card whether tapping in PIN number or contactless.....depends where I am ...

harrigran Thu 13-Dec-18 19:22:19

Very rarely use a card, only when the spend is very large, basically I don't trust them. I have been defrauded and the only possible explanation at the time was that it was a bank employee.

SueDonim Thu 13-Dec-18 19:42:22

My Dh gave a hollow laugh when I mentioned this thread to him. Cashless society?? He's had to spray cash around like nobody's business this week.

Yesterday it was £20 to window cleaner, £25 to cleaning lady and £10 each to the delivery men who brought new furniture. They ended up having to move two enormous bookcases to get the stuff into the room and wouldnt let us help. They really went above & beyond the call of duty.

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Dec-18 20:12:12

I rushed out the other day on an impromptu shopping trip and realised that I'd forgotten my purse but luckily I had a card with me. Although I felt lost without any cash, I managed to spend an afternoon shopping, having coffee etc without needing cash, just a card - which was just as well because the cash point had run out of money.

Ilovecheese Thu 13-Dec-18 20:21:30

Not having any cash at all, puts one at the mercy of the banks computer and security systems, best to have something to fall back on when their systems are in trouble or are hacked.

As an aside, in "The Handmaids Tale, their society was cashless. men had an "M" on their cards and women had an "F" on theirs. When the government wanted to take power away from women, they made the cards with an "F" unworkable and transferred all the women's money to their nearest male relative. A corrupt government could do something similar in some countries.

PamelaJ1 Thu 13-Dec-18 20:23:17

I popped into a supermarket the other day to buy something I thought would cost about £10. They didn’t have what I wanted ( a small Christmas cake to go in a tin that I already had) so I bought a small one, only £2.
Now I had to pay by card but as our village school was singing in the store I asked for £8 cash back so I could give them something.
Well it all went wrong, I paid for the tiny cake with the card and the singers didn’t get any money.
Next time I’ll take my purse.

Willow10 Fri 14-Dec-18 08:00:44

Contactless as much as possible - I very rarely use cash now. My bank pays a bonus each month for using contactless - I earn between five and six pounds a month. Better than the interest rate!

jusnoneed Fri 14-Dec-18 08:17:19

Cash, I never use a card in the shops. I use my credit card for my few online buys (pay it off as soon as the bill comes in) but very rarely use my bank card anywhere. I like to know what I'm spending. I get paid with cash too.
Using contactless cards can soon mount up without people realising it.

Teetime Fri 14-Dec-18 08:54:56

Mostly cashless.

MissAdventure Fri 14-Dec-18 08:59:10

I think life was much simpler when wages came in a brown envelope and everything was cash.

Baggs Fri 14-Dec-18 09:04:22

I set up ApplePay the other day. Out with DD & family and no-one had brought their wallet.

Places that only take cash are getting rarer, though I notice the card machine of the C*sta at Manchester Picadilly is out of order every time I'm there, about twice or three times a year.

glammanana Fri 14-Dec-18 09:10:02

I need to have some cash in my purse at all times I feel uneasy if I don't have £40/50 available I need to pay the gardener/window cleaner and like to treat my DGCs if they turn up unexpectantly.
For food shopping and other big items/on line shopping we use our cards.
I also don't trust contactless I feel uneasy about them for some reason.