Gransnet forums

Chat

Invention you would like to see

(34 Posts)
Grammaretto Tue 18-Dec-18 09:52:02

Is there something you've dreamt up which, if manufactured, would really help you or someone else?
My current two are a magnetic, waterproof magnifier to read shampoo bottles in the bath.
Also window wipers worked from inside the passenger seat of the bus so I could see out the window instead a murky blur.
These are mine for now. Over to you.

Anja Tue 18-Dec-18 09:58:32

A fake news filter for social media. This would flash up a warning saying ‘The Tosh you just read is Faked to lure the Stupid and Gullible who cannot Think for Themselves or Be Bothered to Check the Facts’.

Teetime Tue 18-Dec-18 10:05:28

Love it Anja tchsmile

Grammaretto Tue 18-Dec-18 10:22:57

Anja very useful indeed, except would we trust It?

Oldwoman70 Tue 18-Dec-18 10:27:29

An automatic shower cleaner which switches on as soon as you step out of it. Cleaning the shower has to rank with cleaning the oven in one of my most hated jobs!

Grammaretto Tue 18-Dec-18 10:49:07

The shower cleaner used to be called mum. Gran doesn't like can't get down on her knees to do it.

silversurf Tue 18-Dec-18 11:50:20

A cat litter tray with tall handles. I am finding it increasingly difficult to get on my knees to clear Monty’s tray.
Can’t have a raised tray as my elderly cat couldn’t jump up.
Tried long handled scoopers, but my hands are too shaky to cope with them.
You can buy long handled feeding bowls that can be lifted up.

Kateykrunch Tue 18-Dec-18 12:04:23

I have 2 inventions I would love to see come to fruition:-
1). A duvet covered in a nice material that can be washed and dried easily so that you dont have to faff with duvet covers.
2). A 1 cup bra that supports a remaining boob after mastectomy and is flat on the other side, so that you can feel supported but not so trussed up with a prosthetic and mastectomy bra (I mean, for just chilling out and feeling comfy) (little crop tops and similar dont really do the job if you are a bit bigger (‘uni’boobed). I am going to attempt to make one, the idea is in my head, but my sewing skills are rubbish!

M0nica Tue 18-Dec-18 12:13:50

Glasses lens, which at the touch of a button could go from distance to magnifying so that I can read packets in supermarkets while wearing still wearing my glasses to see items I want from a distance.

I do NOT mean varifocals.

Parsley3 Tue 18-Dec-18 15:12:53

Some great ideas here. I would like a device that holds my book and turns the pages while I lie in bed and keep my hands cosy under the duvet ( or I could just wear gloves).

fourormore Tue 18-Dec-18 15:37:24

Some sort of door that having finished my swim I can walk through and come out the other side fully dry and dressed! hmm

Grammaretto Tue 18-Dec-18 16:23:36

Kateykrunch your ideas sound quite do-able. I think you can wash some duvets but mine is too fat for my machine.
The bra could probably be made.

On the other hand fourormore that is pure fantasy! A magic door!

For Monty's tray, silversurf I'm sure I've seen gadgets for disabled which would work . I think you have to get them online as the shops which sold them haven't survived.

oldbatty Tue 18-Dec-18 16:27:35

Oh God yes, a decent bra for big at the front and small at the back.

Something like a socket you could plug into for energy if needed.

Buffybee Tue 18-Dec-18 17:30:05

An anti-procrastinator button to get me going!
And then I'd need oldbatty's plug in energy boost.

watermeadow Tue 18-Dec-18 17:57:59

A sewing needle which doesn’t unthread itself while you’re sewing. Of course it would thread itself when required by dim old eyes.

Willow500 Tue 18-Dec-18 18:09:57

Photo chromatic windscreens which dim automatically when the sun is too bright - or maybe someone already invented them!

travelsafar Tue 18-Dec-18 18:10:29

something that would clean my glasses properly, (have tried alcohol wipes and sprays to no avail) so i am not looking through a smeary pair most of the time!!!

Cherrytree59 Tue 18-Dec-18 18:11:05

Watermeadow I have a sewing aversion.

With that in mind a voice controlled sewing machine with an automatic the needle threading gadget.
Possibly linked to Alexa.

Grammaretto Tue 18-Dec-18 18:17:25

Ooh! I'm enjoying these. Anyone ready for Dragons Den?

fourormore Wed 19-Dec-18 22:11:27

Fantasy Grammaretto???
I don't know what you mean!!! There is every chance my magic door will, one day, become possible surely gringringrin
Who would have ever imagined that a plastic box could be called Alexa and could be 'talked to' and could give out 'information' ???
That was 'fantasy' at one time so, for the time being at least, I will remain in my cosy little world of wishful thinking gringringrin
However, I really wish someone will invent my magic door soon as I hate getting dried and dressed after my swim!!!

dragonfly46 Wed 19-Dec-18 22:16:40

A teleporter so I could travel afar without the journey!

Grammaretto Thu 20-Dec-18 06:51:46

fourormore i get your point.
Can you ask for a warmer changing room. It's that dreadful run from shower to locker to ice cold changing room.
Another thing I'd like to see is a "Sorry" indicator for drivers.
There's a horn and various lights and I'm told there are hand signals which mean things but sometimes it would be useful to apologise.

cavewoman Thu 20-Dec-18 07:01:32

Seeds that grow into beautiful evergreen grass that won't turn brown when my dog does a wee.

Grammaretto Thu 20-Dec-18 07:58:32

cavewoman beautiful green grass is for bowling greens and golf courses.
Mixed interesting grass is far better for insects, birds and doggies.
Get astroturf if you want green.
Our lawn is mostly moss. We have rabbits, squirrels and even deer visiting.

Maggiemaybe Thu 20-Dec-18 08:12:34

An upgrade to fourormore’s door....

A bedroom door that would shower me, wash my hair, dry and dress me, put in my contact lenses, brush my teeth, apply all lotions and potions and add a bit of basic slap. In a couple of minutes please. And can I have it now, because I have things to do today.

Not much to ask, is it?